Notices

How to address my alcohol addiction to other people?

Old 12-08-2020, 01:22 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

On occasion I have told people that I am doing one year no beer, the online thing. People seem to get it as they can tap into the whole idea of getting healthier and most are just really impressed when I say I am nine months in, I usually follow this up with, 'I doubt I' ll go back to it, it really works for me'
I think it is important to be fully honest with yourself and those closest who you trust about it, but this response has been useful for me on occasion.
Plus I have no plans for beer after one year
Love Billy x
Old 12-09-2020, 02:18 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Not a native English speaker

Hi there.

The lockdown, or the ending of the lockdown in the future (we hope) is not an excuse to return to heavy drinking.
Right now, anyone can go to the supermarket and buy booze, or get booze delivered at your home.
Sure, once this all gets back to normal, all the pubs will be full of people and plenty of alcohol is going down everybodies throats, but you don't have to do that, like you did before.
I too live in a country where alcohol is part of our culture and during this year, with all the restrictions, I've had some parties and social events where alcohol was available. I just decided that I don't want that stuff, thank you. I just tell people "I'm on a diet, trying to get my body healthier" and that's it, no one forces me to drink. In fact, that's a good topic to talk about at parties - that I now go to the gym, lost some weight and am eating better (here is where people will see it's part of a diet plan and not your god damned adiction).