Notices

Need some encouragement

Old 12-08-2020, 06:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need some encouragement

Hey everyone.

Been a long time since I've been back here. I'm really struggling and need some positive vibes that will help inspire.

I've found my way back into alcohol after a while off. Now I'm hitting the wine hard each eve (1 to 2 litres) and poisoning my body all day with Nicorette. I feel like its the wrong time of year to quit both, or even booze and even though I'm spending a lot of time at work watching youtube videos on quitting alcohol and nicotine, the thought of living without both is overwhelming. Feel like id be depriving myself.

I'd sooo love to be free of both of these and let my liver heal. I just find it so hard

Old 12-08-2020, 07:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

23 years nicotine free
almost 11 months alcohol free.

You are Not depriving yourself of anything by quitting.

You Are depriving yourself of a full and rewarding life by not quitting.

Cigs were hell to quit for me.
I say one thing at a time.
Start with the alcohol.
Alcohol always made me crave cigs when I smoked.
Cogs never made me crave alcohol.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can do this.
You are not depriving yourself at all.
There is no time like NOW.

I also was also overwhelmed when I thought of quitting but I was overwhelmed with drinking. I'm no longer overwhelmed and all of those things that alcohol produced like anxiety, regret, shame and ill health are gone. Its a win!
Old 12-08-2020, 07:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks both for your replies.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Vinono,

Yes, it's very hard but you can do it.

Try to shift your thinking so that you aren't depriving yourself. Rather, you're being good to yourself.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for reaching out Vinono. Alcohol first priority, as mentioned. The holidays are tough, no doubt about it, but you have to put your health first. That is simply too much alcohol, and you will probably have to taper off of it or get to a detox facility. I would suggest speaking to your doctor, asap. There are medications that can make withdrawal safer.

Old 12-08-2020, 07:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Former wino and current nicorette addict here. I'm quitting one thing at a time. I quit smoking 2.5 years ago and replaced with nicorette spray. I quit drinking on Jan 2 this year.

For me, alcohol was in the lead position as far as destroying my life goes. I just had enough. There is no way under the sun I would have been able to stop the nicorette at the same time as quitting drinking. When I stopped drinking I made a commitment to one year because I couldn't think ahead any further than that. My whole focus for the past year has been ANYTHING BUT ALCOHOL. It worked because here I am now almost 1 year later...not a drop of alcohol. It doesn't even phase me now (and I was an every single day drinker till I passed out).

Now that I'm solidly sober, I plan to quit Nicorette in 2021. Already working on a strategy.

I'm also the girl that never rips the bandaid off.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I believe you are able to quit - good luck! Feeling good in the morning may make it your best holidays ever. Are you really enjoying yourself now?
Old 12-08-2020, 09:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Samantha

Now is the time to do it, really. Show the pandemic and alcohol who's boss and do it for yourself. Be healthy!
Old 12-08-2020, 10:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If either one isnt in your home or around your work,
then you cant drink or smoke. Right?

I live my life incorporating tools, knowledge, lessons
about both addiction and recovery to my everyday life
as a guideline to finding success, peace, serenity and
freedom.

Today, i have to use the same process when it comes
to food. If i dont buy it and dont have it in our home then
i cant eat or drink it. Foods that are culprits to leading to
unhealthy minds and bodies.

Addiction come in all forms and requires learning how
to over come them and not repeating those unhealthy
addicting behaviors.

It was suggested in early recovery some 30 yrs ago
to focus on learning how to get and remain sober before
tackling other issues.

Some have quit both together and some do one at a
time. Do what is most important to you right now and
for your own health.

Remember each of us is made up differently on
the insides and if you need to seek help from your
physicians then be honest with them about learning
how to achieve sobriety so that they can help you
in the best way possible without setting you back
in your addiction if you need them.

Continue to learn and incorporate recovery tools to
your everyday life to achieve your own recovery success
moving forward one day at a time.

Old 12-08-2020, 11:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vinono View Post
Hey everyone.

Been a long time since I've been back here. I'm really struggling and need some positive vibes that will help inspire.

I've found my way back into alcohol after a while off. Now I'm hitting the wine hard each eve (1 to 2 litres) and poisoning my body all day with Nicorette. I feel like its the wrong time of year to quit both, or even booze and even though I'm spending a lot of time at work watching youtube videos on quitting alcohol and nicotine, the thought of living without both is overwhelming. Feel like id be depriving myself.

I'd sooo love to be free of both of these and let my liver heal. I just find it so hard
I feel you. The holidays are never easy. Then I realized hey if anything the pandemic restrictions might help. For example the bars are closed and also I won’t be flying to see my family this Christmas. I’ll be staying alone. Idk about others but family always makes me want to drink even under the best of circumstances 😹😂😹😂

it’s been well over ten years since I smoked and I was a heavy smoker. For the first few months I didn’t drink coffee or alcohol when I quit cigs...but then that was before I became a heavy drinker. Interesting enough I started drinking heavily within a couple years after quitting smoking. Traded one addiction for another. No doubt.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Your inner addict telling It’s a bad time of year to quit...it has no interest whatsoever in your well-being...it does not care that you might drink for another 3 months, 6 months...or longer.

It does not care what the consequences of that might be for you.

Obviously you care or you would not be here

Don’t wait to reclaim your life - do it now!

D
Old 12-09-2020, 04:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vinono View Post
Hey everyone.

It never feels like a "good time of year" to quit an addiction when we're in it.

I'm there with you.... using that rationalization with marijuana which I chose to pick back up and 'dabble' with a little last year. Now, I'm struggling to put it down.

Not an easy time of year to quit that either, but NOW is the only time to deal with our addictions.