Notices

2 Days Sober...Huge for me

Old 12-06-2020, 06:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 Days Sober...Huge for me

I have been a very heavy drinker for years and quit Cold Turkey on Thurs. My Dr gave me chlordiazepox and have been withdrawl free...not sure what comes next and could use some thoughts.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The obvious (and annoying) answer is, Day Three.

I think you'll find your people here on this site. Welcome, and keep reading and posting.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats rcthree. The hardest part is over.

Next, sobriety slowly makes you life better. The more sober time you have the better and more stable everything seems to get. Just don't expect it to ever be problem free and perfect.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

congratulations!!!

Each Day, each step, away from a drink is another step of freedom and another day of reinvention of your life.

Today, may you discover and give thanks for at least One Good Thing that has come directly from not drinking today.... and may you recognize One Good Thing about being fully present in your life.

You can do it!!

Old 12-06-2020, 07:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can do this! If I can do it you can do it! Stay close to SR!
Old 12-06-2020, 07:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

...not sure what comes next and could use some thoughts.

1. Log onto this website everyday and spend a lot of time here reading, and occasionally posting.
2. Join the December Sobriety Class which is on the 1st page of this forum section.
3. Consider going to AA to get some face to face support. (I would normally make this a stronger recommendation, but with the out of control Covid 19 case numbers in my area, I wouldn't go at this time. Not sure about your area).
4. Buy a few of sobriety books form Amazon. If you have a Kindle, that's the way to go since you can get immediate possession. But you can still buy books from the Kindle store and use the Kindle App (which will be in the app store of whichever browser you use).
5. Make a detailed plan on what you are going to do to stay sober.

Other's will come along and offer you more specific advice. This is the basic outline of the plan I had and I will be coming up on 11 years sober in a few months, so it has worked for me.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Appreciate the quick responses and support! AA is shut down for now so will lean in here. I Have a great home support system and will need it more than ever. Will report back...am at hour 65 since last drink (counting in hours keeps me going at this point).

Thank you all for caring about someone you don’t know!
Old 12-06-2020, 09:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I believe in miracles :)

Great! Welcome! We are here for you
Old 12-06-2020, 10:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on Day Two! You will experience a lot of different feelings. I felt tired and confused for a while. Celebrate the little victories like waking up feeling good.
Old 12-06-2020, 02:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think day 3 was my worst. Maybe day 5. It was a long time ago and too close to call. After that, things began to mellow out, but I had added the commitment to stay sober for good, which I believe made a difference, and I joined AA which put me in contact with a support group for the first time. For me, the worst part of recovery were the cravings, but by day 10 they were just comically annoying thoughts, rather than nightmarish obsessions. It varies for everyone, but when I was over the cravings, I had to switch to a new strategy, because phase II required a different approach. But I agree with others, the first days require holding on to your chair, and for me that was the worst part.
Old 12-06-2020, 02:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The others gave you great advice, I cannot stress how important it is to stay involved with those who are also sober, or working on it. The reinforcement is crucial at this stage. If you don't, in a few days you will be feeling better and the inevitable thoughts start to creep in about how maybe it wasn't so bad and you could have a few, lol. I went through that cycle many times. Stay involved and keep up the good work!
Old 12-06-2020, 02:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's wonderful to have you join us, rfc. In the early days we're learning to adjust to our new life. I was grateful to get free of it, but I was anxious, & spent a lot of time here at SR - where I knew others had been through the same thing. No one else in my life truly understood what I was going through. I'm glad you have good support at home.

Congratulations on your 2 days - soon to be 3.
Old 12-06-2020, 02:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi and welcome rfcfree

AA is shut down for now so will lean in here.
There a lot of online zoom meetings around - have you tried any of those?

D
Old 12-06-2020, 03:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Stick around and read and post alot. This forum can help more than you may think. First week is the worse. Hang in there now. Why go through day one and two again. You'll be glad you quit, its way better.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I found Librium (so much easier than writing chloradiaxapoxide)extremely helpful for detox. Now the hard bit is staying sober.
I gather you have seen a doctor who has issued Librium so hopefully they have discussed long term emotional support and any other vitamins, medications you may need. If not I would return to get that side of things sorted moving forward for physical health.
I did AA, some SMART, and some other random groups here and there. Also did a lot of 1-1. It took me about 5 years of relapses and treatment until it clicked so if this round of sobriety doesn’t work just don’t lose hope! Many relapse, it’s the reality of this illness but if you do don’t just assume that it is and give in. Ask for help whenever you need it.
I was actually program free and at a turning point where I had to decide what life I wanted, drink and misery or sober and full of possibilities. life threw me some positives that encouraged sobriety and it worked out but not everyone can do it without a program so I always strongly suggest giving AA a go and explore others. Some areas have a wider variety of support than others. See what you like and don’t like, try more than one meeting, try different locations... recovery is not one size fits all. The only thing every person has in recovery of any form is not wanting to be consumed by their addiction.

hope it all goes well today
Old 12-07-2020, 03:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

On to day 4+...

4 nights and 84 total hours under my belt! Other than a sweaty sleepless night last night, nothing kicking my ass...sore back for some reason, maybe the weight starting to lift
Old 12-07-2020, 05:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good job. Three days was my limit until I quit. I barely managed day 5, and then things started to turn for me.
Old 12-07-2020, 06:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good job rfcthree, you are really doing well. Ha ha yes, it's a huge weight off, but do not become complacent. Some people are indeed able to quit drinking (or other addictions) and just move on in their lives, others struggle with the mental part - mainly feeling after some period of days or weeks that they can return to drinking in moderation. It usually does not go well. There are options but one of the best is right here. Join the December "class" and you will have a cohort of others for support.

Please keep posting here also to let us know how you're doing, especially If you start to get thoughts of drinking again. It is very common for those of us who have drank heavily that the brain is used to being sedated and when all alcohol is removed things start to get pretty edgy. We might become super sensitive to noise or other irritants, or become anxious or irritable. I found that exercise and being outdoors helped a lot, and avoiding places where drinking is common, as it can be a trigger.

Keep up the good work!
Old 12-07-2020, 07:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

From my personal experience what comes next is a new, better life.

Stick around and dont drink no matter what and you will receive the reward also.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

4 days is incredible!!!! The night sweats suck, but they do pass if you stay at it. Congratulations on your sober time, we are happy to have you with us!