Notices

Big life decision

Old 12-04-2020, 05:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Big life decision

I have decided to take six months off and focus on recovery. My parents very kindly offered to help and I am at the point where I don't have space to cope with this and do my job. It's scary, I've never not worked before but I think that it's needed to be able to move forward.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Hopefully this time off will give you space to recover.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gabe1980 View Post
I have decided to take six months off and focus on recovery. My parents very kindly offered to help and I am at the point where I don't have space to cope with this and do my job. It's scary, I've never not worked before but I think that it's needed to be able to move forward.
Placing sobriety at the centre of anything and everything you do should give you the best possible chance. The addition of your parents involvement should yield a positive outcome.

When are you stopping work, Gabe? Do you have a job to go back too?
Old 12-04-2020, 07:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlbaSober View Post
Placing sobriety at the centre of anything and everything you do should give you the best possible chance. The addition of your parents involvement should yield a positive outcome.

When are you stopping work, Gabe? Do you have a job to go back too?
Im not sure yet. I need to work out the details but I think I might be able to take a break and go back.
I need a couple of weeks to straighten out some things but hopefully done by Christmas
Old 12-04-2020, 07:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The way I see it, 6 months with nothing to do could go one of two ways. Make it go the right way. Wishing you the best.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Be careful with that. I don't know what your job is but work is important for structure and a feeling of self-worth. A meeting and some Big Book study takes a couple hours at most. Of course if you're going into a rehab or your job is high stress, I could see it could be a good move. I had avery difficult time quitting alcohol when I was in a high stress position a decade back..

Nothing personal intended here, just making the point that sometimes the AV has a way of convincing us to take actions that are not helpful to our ongoing sobriety.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by advbike View Post
Be careful with that. I don't know what your job is but work is important for structure and a feeling of self-worth. What exactly are you planning to do in recovery that will take so much time that you have to quit your job? A meeting and some Big Book study takes a couple hours at most. Of course if you're going into a rehab or your job is a bartender, I could see it as a good move. Nothing personal intended here, just making the point that sometimes the AV has a way of convincing us to take actions that are not helpful to our ongoing sobriety.
I work for a rape crisis service. Have been doing it from home since March and it is very stressful. Its actually been really damaging to do that kind of work from home with little support.

I need a complete break from it and a rest. I'm exhausted and I can't carry on with it. I think it's making everything else impossible.

You are right though, I'll need structure
Old 12-04-2020, 07:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

OMG, yeah I can see the problem with that. I re-worded my post a bit as I remembered how the stress was a problem for me too.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

OMG, yeah I can see the problem with that. I re-worded my post a bit as I remembered how the stress was a problem for me too.
No worries. I've held on for as long as I could but its all just not possible. I love my job but it's coming at too high a cost just now. I'm hoping I can go back to it.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, I understand needing a break from that. Just have a plan and keep structure in your day. Wish you the best!
Old 12-04-2020, 08:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, I understand needing a break from that. Just have a plan and keep structure in your day. Wish you the best!
Thank you xx
Old 12-04-2020, 09:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Gabe. I was off work for 6 months to give up alcohol in 2019. I didn't get sober then but it was certainly part of the process for me to become sober now.

I see some people on here gave up immediately - made a decision and that was that. That wasn't my experience and looking back being off work and being able to recover from work (I'd been doing a stressful job for 20 years that I'd never learned to manage the stress from) was key to my long road to sobriety. I'm working again now but am much more mindful of what I do - and how I handle it.

Learning to manage stress is hard for me - I drank from 16-40, all my working life. Success, failure, stress, the soliton was the same. Handling all of those things without alcohol is foreign to me. But just like my Spanish on Duolingo, a little bit every day, not taking my mistakes too seriously, keeping at it and I trust I'll get there.

You'll get there too Gabe. And thank you on behalf of everyone for your years of service on the helpline
Old 12-04-2020, 09:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Be123 View Post
Hi Gabe. I was off work for 6 months to give up alcohol in 2019. I didn't get sober then but it was certainly part of the process for me to become sober now.

I see some people on here gave up immediately - made a decision and that was that. That wasn't my experience and looking back being off work and being able to recover from work (I'd been doing a stressful job for 20 years that I'd never learned to manage the stress from) was key to my long road to sobriety. I'm working again now but am much more mindful of what I do - and how I handle it.

Learning to manage stress is hard for me - I drank from 16-40, all my working life. Success, failure, stress, the soliton was the same. Handling all of those things without alcohol is foreign to me. But just like my Spanish on Duolingo, a little bit every day, not taking my mistakes too seriously, keeping at it and I trust I'll get there.

You'll get there too Gabe. And thank you on behalf of everyone for your years of service on the helpline
Thanks so much, that is really helpful to read. I just know that I don't have the capacity for both, so something has to give. If it's not this it will be me.
It just took a pandemic to realise!
Old 12-04-2020, 09:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Gabe, this sounds like something you need to do and I'm sure you will benefit from less stress. Nurture yourself. As you and others have mentioned, having a routine will be important in getting the most out of this time off work.

And, by the way, huge thank you for helping women get through rape, the worst experience of their lives. I'm sure you know what an important role you play in helping these women take their first steps towards healing.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Gabe, this sounds like something you need to do and I'm sure you will benefit from less stress. Nurture yourself. As you and others have mentioned, having a routine will be important in getting the most out of this time off work.

And, by the way, huge thank you for helping women get through rape, the worst experience of their lives. I'm sure you know what an important role you play in helping these women take their first steps towards healing.
Im already thinking about a plan/routine and I think it means spending time with who care about me. I need to work on the recovery part but I think it's recovery over all. Mental and emotional health. Then maybe happiness

And, thank you. Its a job that makes me feel very privileged to be part of. Its been a long time now and I just need a break. I'm completely burnt out and running on nothing. I am no use to anyone like this.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Gabe, it sounds like you've really gave this a lot of thought and know it's the right decision for you. I can't imagine what working with a rape crisis service is like, but like Anna said, thank you for doing that important work. I'm in school to get a masters in social work right now and hope that I'm able to help people in the way that you are.

Absolute best of luck - I hope you'll still come here and check in with us to let us know how you're doing. I'm always rooting for you and know that you can beat this.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dpac414 View Post
Gabe, it sounds like you've really gave this a lot of thought and know it's the right decision for you. I can't imagine what working with a rape crisis service is like, but like Anna said, thank you for doing that important work. I'm in school to get a masters in social work right now and hope that I'm able to help people in the way that you are.

Absolute best of luck - I hope you'll still come here and check in with us to let us know how you're doing. I'm always rooting for you and know that you can beat this.
I'll be coming here as part of my plan, it helps me keep my crazy under control! I need to just take it easy, breathe, ask for help and keep trying.

I just need to be under less pressure, internal and external.

Good luck with your Masters, SW is a noble career and I'm sure you will be great x
Old 12-04-2020, 11:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good call. Recovery always has to come first in my experience.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:59 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Only you can know if this is a good course for you - it sounds like you know it is. I think it's amazing that your folks are on board and supportive.

A person can get a lot of healing over the course of six months.
Old 12-04-2020, 01:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can do this Gabe

D