Notices

Anxiety Disorders and AA

Old 10-19-2020, 04:43 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Patcha View Post
Get on one of the big Zoom meetings and you can just sit back and listen. If you want to share you use the "raise your hand" function. Lots of people just listen without their cameras on. It's only that sponsor's opinion about sharing at every meeting (I've never heard of anyone who has been asked to do this). What if you don't get called on to share?

Here is the zoom ID for a 24/7 meeting. Zoom ID: 2923712604

A new meeting starts every hour. You can join at any time. I was just on it and there was 160 people there so it's fine to be anonymous and just listen!
Yes the 90 meetings in 90 days thing is widely recommended, but the OP's sponsor's demand to share at every meeting is over-the-top.
Old 10-19-2020, 05:46 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I am so sorry you had that experience in AA. I am in AA and have been for over 2 years and sometimes personalities get in the way of principles.

I attend a lovely AA zoom meeting every morning from 9am to 10am UK time. If you would ever like to come on please message me and I will give you the link. Nobody HAS to do anything. You don't even have to put your camera on. Therr are lots of newcomers on there. You're welcome anytime

♥️🙏
Old 10-19-2020, 04:25 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lewdog View Post
Hello all,
I was curious if those here are using this as their only support? I have very bad social anxiety. Probably why I loved drinking to begin with because it made me feel I was normal. Over the years quitting for short times here and there the anxiety came back like a vengeance obviously during detox and after, but now after levelling out a bit (I am at almost 4 months) my social anxiety has come back and is keeping me from going to AA. I had a sponsor a while back when I had quit for about 2 months. He told me I had to go to 90 meeting in 90 days, which I understood. He also said I had to share at every meeting. For someone with social anxiety, this is pure hell. I failed, did not share much less go to meetings and went back to drinking. I am curious if anyone else has this problem because I am finally all in, but now feel like my SA is holding me back in my recovery. I know I cannot do this alone and want to be able to give myself fully to a program but feel like I can't. I also have not found much in terms of information for those with these types of issues. AA meetings have always been a major source of anxiety for me. Seeing the people there who have time under their belt and look so happy and free makes me feel more alone than ever, quite honestly I have never felt much a part of a community there. Any advice is greatly appreciated
Hello! Fellow social anxiety person here. I totally know how hard/impossible walking into a room can be! What has helped me tremendously, other than not drinking, is to focus on my mental health. Get to a therapist and start working on all those nerves. My anxiety is chronic, but without alcohol and taking time for my mental health, I'm feeling really amazing.

Also, many online AA meetings are available now! It's perfect for us - it's almost like eavesdropping on meetings- and maybe occasionally you'll want to chat!

Good luck!
Old 10-19-2020, 07:47 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

lewdog, yes, the way you put it: a sponsor to work “with you”!
here is the AA pamphlet on sponsorship.
my eventual sponsor and i read it and discussed expectations before we started the step stuff.

https://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-15_Q&AonSpon.pdf
Old 10-19-2020, 08:06 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I thought a sponsor was supposed to be a 'guide', not a 'boss'. It would irritate me to be told I must go to 90 in 90, and to be forced to share. A suggestion would be ok, but not a demand, in my opinion.

Look into the online meetings, see if you'd be interested. Might be a lot less stress/anxiety if the meeting were online.
Hi Least, Yeah insisting he share??!! I’m going to be 8 years next month AND It’s just really, really be difficult for to speak in front of a large group. 😧 I’ve been going to my HG all these years, it’s a tad more comfortable for me. But, still 90% of the time I’m quiet. A work in progress ....

So ....
To our friend with social anxiety, you are not alone. 😍 Listening in the AA meetings online (and IN person when that day comes ....) IS perfectly fine. I go to Zoom Meetings, and I “just” listen.😁

Please give meetings another try and of course be open to other forms of Recovery. I myself am a ‘12 Step’ gal and have been coming here to SR daily since I was 6 months into my sobriety.

We’re here 100% for each other, cause we’re a Family🙂 🧡 🙂

P.S. Perhaps another Sponsor?

Bobbi
Old 10-20-2020, 02:31 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

There are lots of imperfect people in AA. Looks like you found one. As others have said a different sponsor is in order.

I think old AA speaker Sandy Beach described AA sponsorship the best. He described it as the half blind leading the blind.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:55 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by lewdog View Post
Dbt?
Heres the link to the DBT website explaining what is DBT and links to worksheets and exercises.https://www.dbtselfhelp.com/html/what_is_dbt_.html
https://www.dbtselfhelp.com/html/dbt_lessons.html

I hope this helps.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:54 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I have very bad social anxiety and I find Zoom meetings easier than IRL meetings. You can put your hand up and see how many people are in front of you so you have time to prepare what you want to say. It makes it easier for me. And it's easy to just stay silent.