Notices

I drank

Old 08-20-2020, 10:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I drank

So,
it happened after 7 months and 20 days.
i was just so frustrated today. Didn’t feel like writing. So it’s on me. I’m responsible.

I know. I can push a month again. But after that.. I don’t know.

I feel like Sh**
Old 08-20-2020, 10:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wonder what happened to make you decide to drink after 7 months? And, I wonder what changes you made in your life, besides stopping drinking, during those 7 months? I hope you found things to do in your life that brought you happiness and that you spent time with people who brought joy into your life. You can get through a month and beyond as long as you are motivated to do so. I'm really glad you came here and posted.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear this, CK. I’d be down too. Maybe treat this as a blip? Are we talking one glass or more, and what brought it on?
Old 08-20-2020, 10:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh I am sorry to hear that too and I know how demoralising it can be to have all that time and to drink. But you had all that time.....7 months is a long time....and you came straight back. Get your thinking in the right place, dust yourself off and carry on. You can do it
Old 08-20-2020, 11:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Hi,

I've been where you are. I'm nearing 6 months of sobriety, and about four years ago I stayed sober for just over a year and a half..

What happened? I moved. I freaked out. I drank.

I couldn't stay sober. I wouldn't stay sober. I didn't stay sober. Until one day I woke up feeling particularly gnarly and I said "Okay, I'm done." And I was. And today, I won't let anything get between me and my next sober moment - not even Thor.
Old 08-20-2020, 11:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Okay, it is important not to get down on yourself too much and make sure you check your mindset. You still have all of that sober time. I think for us, it is hard to be back at "day1" but you don't lose all that sobriety and all that you gained. Especially if you stopped this quick.
Old 08-20-2020, 11:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What led up to you drinking?
Old 08-20-2020, 12:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by clarkkent11 View Post
So,
it happened after 7 months and 20 days.
i was just so frustrated today. Didn’t feel like writing. So it’s on me. I’m responsible.

I know. I can push a month again. But after that.. I don’t know.

I feel like Sh**
Ah **** man. I feel for you - I remember the feeling of drinking when I'd given up for 53 days (an eternity for me) back a couple of years back. The disappointment in myself, the 'Why did I do that?'

But come on, you've ingested kryptonite and it a made you sick. Get your cape on, take off the glasses and start again. We've got someone in our March group who drank and immediately came back and it's amazing how quickly her sober time has stacked up. Don't slip into a binge because then you'll feel a million times worse
Old 08-20-2020, 12:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I almost drank a week before I was 8 months sober. It came as a shock to me to experience such strong cravings at that point.

It's great you came back and posted.

Old 08-20-2020, 01:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Be careful. Right now is a danger zone.

Seven months ago you made a conscious decision to change your life for the better. If you were a daily drinker before that, your body has already seen remarkable healing in that time.

You can only undo all of that hard work if you pick up another drink today, and tomorrow, and the next day.

You didn't ruin anything. Those days are not lost.

Focus on the now. Accept that you feel terrible.

Hold onto the success you've had already. It may feel like it, but it's not really starting over. Keep your head up, get through the hangover, do some things for your healthy and well-being, and move on. You can do it.
Old 08-20-2020, 01:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Please don’t use the relapse as a reason to keep drinking...you know...eff it, may as well, kind of thinking. I will have 7 months and 20 days tomorrow. I’m not even close to a relapse because I still feel the same way I felt on day 1. And the reason for that is I stay connected everyday with my reasons for stopping in the first place. Every relapse I ever had before this was because I disconnected and allowed space for the AV to fool me into thinking I can moderate.

I think a lot of people With long term sobriety can look back and see a blip like this in their history. That’s all this needs to be. Nothing more than a blip. Up to you.

Old 08-20-2020, 01:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I’m sorry you drank Clark, but look at it this way. You definitely know how to get sober...you just have to work out how to stay sober.

I reckon if you look back in many of your past threads you’ll find helpful suggestions from others when you were struggling.

Maybe you need more support, or to use the support you have more...maybe you need to make more changes to the way you live, or solve problems...I dunno...

but you’ve been sober a while and one night doesn’t mean you lose all that knowledge you’ve accumulated..not unless you choose to throw it away. Don’t do that.

I had to commit to doing everything I could not to take the next drink. I had to have faith and totally accept that whatever my problem, the answer was not in a bottle.

It’s not a bad place to start

Pick yourself up and start again Clark
Old 08-20-2020, 04:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
Sorry to hear this, CK. I’d be down too. Maybe treat this as a blip? Are we talking one glass or more, and what brought it on?
Yeah I had a lot. About 8 beers. Started with a bad phone call from my dad in the morning. It stuck in my head all day.

This morning I am in disbelief that I would throw something so good away.

Today is my final Day 1
Old 08-20-2020, 06:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Clark - You learned it only led to misery and regret. It didn't help comfort you or ease your pain/annoyance over the phone call. It never does what we hope it will. So now you are armed with further knowledge about the futility of caving in. Congrats on your final Day 1.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My last relapse (my LAST) I drank for two days after having six months sober. I woke up hating myself and wishing I were dead. Something about that time, how I felt, hit me hard and I got determination to try again, for good this time.

And I did. It'll be 11 yrs this December. I don't miss it at all and love my sober life.

Make this your LAST day one.
Old 08-20-2020, 07:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

The crave never goes away and it morphs.

My first year and 1 month I almost relapsed.

My 2nd year and 2 months same thing.

Now I am this far along and I think about drinking sometimes still.

But, for me now I feel differently. I pretty much hate booze. I don't tell anyone but folks here...and my17 year old.

i just absolutely despise alcohol. It is pure poison and will eventually lead to an earlier and more painful demise for all that drink.

I know that might be argued, but I don't care. My monkeys, my circus.

Thanks.
Old 08-20-2020, 07:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

AV is super insidious. It lurks in our subconscious like a kraken until it is finally brought under control.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
ZIP

Time to pick up where you left off, Clark.
You did nearly 8 months AF, so I'd wager you can do it again. Let us know how it goes, ok?
Old 08-21-2020, 12:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Your sober time isn’t lost. Just think about what you need to add to your recovery to maintain sobriety.
Old 08-21-2020, 01:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by clarkkent11 View Post
Yeah I had a lot. About 8 beers. Started with a bad phone call from my dad in the morning. It stuck in my head all day.

You had valid reasons by the sound of it. It shows that a situation can arise to throw us out of sync.

As I said, take it as a blip. You’re being incredibly harsh so be a bit nicer to yourself