Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

After sobriety: the laundry, chop wood, carry water, hoist that cross . . .what did you do today?

Notices

After sobriety: the laundry, chop wood, carry water, hoist that cross . . .what did you do today?

Old 03-28-2024, 08:02 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Thanks Steely and Hawk for posting. Company in slogging through the daily tasks really helps.

I feel like I have done so much when I write things down.
Old 03-28-2024, 11:33 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Hey, Bekind just scrolled back and saw you asked for a ‘Wind the Willows” quote. Sorry, I missed it.

Will do. I’ll be back.
Old 03-28-2024, 11:52 PM
  # 243 (permalink)  
needingtochange

Steely, "Schmick condition."?
Old 03-29-2024, 12:00 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  

“schmick” meaning in really great condition needingtochange.

Now I’m running around trying to find a good “Wind in the Willows” quote.

Hard taskmasters, this thread.

The title should have advised me. lol
Old 03-29-2024, 12:17 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Ok, in Chinese astrology I’m the Rat, so here goes, Bekind. Poured through the book, didn’t want to resort to famous quotes dot com. That’d be sad.😞

”The Rat paid no heed to his doleful self reproaches. He was running here and there, opening doors, inspecting rooms and cupboards, and lighting lamps and candles and sticking them up everywhere. “What a capital little house this is!” he called out cheerily. “So compact! So well planned! Everything here and everything in its place! We’ll make a jolly night of it. The first thing we want is a good fire; I’ll see to that - I always know where to find things. So this is the parlour? Splendid! Your own idea, those little sleeping-bunks in the wall! Capital! Now I’ll fetch the wood and coals , and you get a duster, Mole - you’ll find one in the drawer of the kitchen table - and try and smarten up a bit. Bustle about, old chap!””

Reminded me of what we do here Bekind. Hope you like it.
Old 03-29-2024, 01:05 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Ah thanks Steely. I love that part of the book. As I remember some carolers come by in the next couple of pages.

I think my family of river runners, has a favorite quote of "There is nothing like messing around with boats. Just messing around with boats." Personally I loved Toad of Toad Hall seeing a motorcar for the first time and sitting in the road looking after it saying, "Poop, poop". . . . . .now i'm curious how accurate my old memory is.

I have another grey snowy spring day waiting for contact from family so I can make plans for Easter Weekend.

So far today:

- made sourdough pancakes
- ran laundry
- texted a friend
-did 30 min of yoga
-counted stitches on my knitting

Now for a bit more yoga, count more stitches and check laundry.

In the words of Ratty (compliments of Steely and Kenneth Graham), "Bustle about, old chap!"