Notices

First post, looking for advice

Old 08-14-2020, 06:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First post, looking for advice

Hello everyone, I am looking for advice on what help would be most beneficial. I don’t believe I have a physical dependence because I can go days/weeks without drinking, but when I do drink, I can’t stop. It usually results in blackouts and me doing stupid ****. It has recently effected my family worse then usual, and I’m ready to stop drinking entirely. I have tried a few times in the past, but always thought I would be able to stop at two drinks, it never worked out. What do you advise my next step should be? Thank you for reading.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BradVan View Post
Hello everyone, I am looking for advice on what help would be most beneficial. I don’t believe I have a physical dependence because I can go days/weeks without drinking, but when I do drink, I can’t stop. It usually results in blackouts and me doing stupid ****. It has recently effected my family worse then usual, and I’m ready to stop drinking entirely. I have tried a few times in the past, but always thought I would be able to stop at two drinks, it never worked out. What do you advise my next step should be? Thank you for reading.
I advise that your next step be that you start believing you have a physical dependence on alcohol.

Normal drinkers don't think twice about stopping drinking after one or two. The fact that you can't stop speaks volumes. It speaks volumes that on the 'rare' occasions that you get smashed, you drink so much that you black out and do stupid sh1t.

Look at what you wrote. It's right there.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome! I'm glad you've decided to stop drinking. Not all alcoholics drink every day, but when you drink and can't stop, it's a problem.

My suggestion would be to make a plan that will help get through each day/week/month without drinking. Getting rid of all the alcohol in the house is a good plan. Basic things like eating well and exercising are good things to add to your plan. Think about situations where you drink. Maybe you need to make some changes regarding activities and people in your life. I couldn't be around people drinking alcohol for many months when I stopped drinking. The following link offers lots of information on recovery programs and things that we did:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...at-we-did.html (Recovery Programs & What to Expect (What We Did))
Old 08-14-2020, 08:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi BradVan, welcome to the site. One of the things I've learned about alcohol, that isn't always apparent, is that alcoholism, whilst being about how much you drink, is also about how you behave when drunk. If you are blacking out, offending people, increasing personal risk and regret, etc. then, really, anything could happen to you while in that state. To eliminate the downside risk of awful things happening, the only real way is, to give up the booze.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yes; if you/we can't control it, then quitting is the way to go.
look around; there are many threads on plans and programs and ways.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't think it even matters what the definition is.

If drinking is a problem, not drinking is the solution.

With that said, welcome, BradVan. Abstaining for short periods and then binge drinking is probably the most dangerous kind of drinking. I would add that we have all tried the Moderation Thing and no matter how long we are able to "abstain" if we go back to drinking it's game on.

Easiest and by far the best thing for me (after many failed moderation attempts) was to just throw the white flag.

Turns out complete abstinence is so much easier and so much better. Hope you join us.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

1st step is don't drink.
I also cannot moderate alcohol so no use even trying.
Next I would make a plan for when the urge to drink hits. Post here, play it forward, call someone etc.

Old 08-14-2020, 10:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. First step is making a plan for how you are going to stay sober. Reading and posting here could be part of that plan. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I could go days and weeks as well, but with each relapse (bender/binge) the brain damage increased.

Knowing what is the right thing to do and then still doing the wrong thing to later regret it....over and over and over was not normal. It is a form of insanity and nothing will end up right in the end.

If I kept relapsing, weekly/monthly/yearly, I would surely go clinically insane and die a death that was heavily caused my addiction to booze.

Booze causes an emotional alteration of the mind. It is a neurotoxin. The damage is irreversible. The only way out is analysis and suffering. I didn't heal as much as I got used to feeling a crave for booze, anxious, nervous, obsessive etc. etc. Basically I got used to normal so far.

I still suffer daily, but I am used to it....so far. I am an addict for life. I am one relapse away from day 1 again. I put on a brave face for the world. Only SR knows that I am terrified of booze. This place saved my life. Amen.

Thanks.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. First step is making a plan for how you are going to stay sober. Reading and posting here could be part of that plan. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to meet you, Brad. I'm glad you wanted to discuss what's going on.

I was the same as you once. I didn't drink constantly, but when I did there was no telling what might happen. I never did anything about my problem drinking - and eventually I found myself drinking every day. At the end of my drinking career I was completely out of control and heading towards a dangerous end. My weekend drinking of 'a few' in the beginning had grown into all day drinking and complete dependence. It took me too long to admit that once it was in my system I became sloppy and reckless. It needed to stop - I wanted to live. I hope being here will help you see what needs to happen. We're here to help.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Brad, this is good then. Although you can't control alcohol it sounds like due to good breaks between binges you may not have to suffer through withdrawal like most. Make no mistake though, if you can't control it once you start you need to quit entirely. It is only a matter of time until you drink more often OR one of these binges ends bad for you.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Firstly, hello and welcome I agree with the others, the next logical step is to re-estimate your opinion of how problematic alcohol is for you. You might not be addicted to the point of physical dependency yet, but that is a very temporary "yet". You have questioned whether you have an issue with alcohol... which unfortunately means your problem is very likely worse than you currently think. This is a great place full of wise people that will support you every step of the way I wish you all the best. Keep reading and remember to actively post. Posting regularly here is vital to reinforcing sobriety and refreshing your state of mind.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome! I think for myself, and everyone here, the inability to moderate was a huge red flag. One beer and I was off to the races. I could drink a 12 pack no problem, really needed 18 or so. A 6 pack? No way. That was a warm up. So I guess I found that stopping altogether was really the only way. So I would say the next step for you should be admitting you can't moderate and start your sober journey. You can do it! SR is a great place to find support. Best wishes!
Old 08-14-2020, 03:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

To me alcoholism is an allergy to alcohol combined with an obsession to drink.

Once i drink alcohol i can not control how much i will drink or what i will do. Its like an allergic reaction. Sometimes we breakout in handcuffs.

If it were that simple we just wouldn't drink alcohol. If somebody has a shellfish allergy they don't eat shrimp.

We have a mental obsession that often seems to go away temporarily but it always comes back. That's the insanity of this disease, when we are sober, we know what happens when we drink but we do it anyway.

A substantial amount of us were functioning. Not all of us went through withdrawal. I didn't, I i had a full time job, a couple college degrees, technical training. I was an active runner and went to the gym religiously. My body shook out the alcohol, no problem. I'm mostly Irish and Polish its what we do or so I thought.

If you searched for AA meetings near you, you might be surprised how much you have in common with people there.

Old 08-14-2020, 03:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I don't think it even matters what the definition is. If drinking is a problem, not drinking is the solution.
This ^^^^^^^

Old 08-14-2020, 04:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Brad

I was a drinker for 20 odd years - started as a binger ended up an all day everyday drinker.

I know it's hard to consider it's a serious problem when you can go for days without drinking, but binge drinking can be as dangerous and damaging to your health as every day all day drinking.

If you can't stop once you start I believe you belong here with the rest of us.

The 100% effective treatment is to not take that first drink.

It may seem like a huge step, but there's hundreds of us here - thousands even - living better lives, not enslaved to alcohol anymore

D
Old 08-14-2020, 04:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Samantha

I black out basically every time I drink. It's horrible. I am also not a daily drinker..i can go weeks and weeks but then the AV kicks in and I give in and BINGE!
you've made a good step by coming here....good luck on your journey.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your advice, I will defiantly be visiting this forum often.