Notices

Sailing away from it all, 14-17 August 2020 - Weekenders

Old 08-17-2020, 01:27 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Mags that’s like me, I buy cars on colour rather than make and model. Drives my partner nuts

Kaily I grew up with those ice lollies every summer, we called them cool pops

MB I went for a big beach walk this morning.
Perhaps some beach volleyball would be fun

I hope the blood tests and the new injection all go well Mags
Old 08-17-2020, 01:51 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Yeah I don't know anything about cars either so go on looks, how much it is to insure and size.

Just read this. It's quite clear from its vibrancy and cheeky character that the C3 is aimed at younger drivers.

I wonder does young at heart count? I can see me taking my 86 year old Dad to the supermarket in it and getting some funny looks. Not to mention young lads pulling up next to me at the lights hoping to see some pretty young thing.

I still like it though.. I think.
Old 08-17-2020, 01:58 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

I just googled them. They look pretty darn cute to me
I don’t think it matters what age you are, you can get whatever car you like
I always like sporty looking cars in bright colours lol
Cheap on fuel helps too
Old 08-17-2020, 02:09 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

It's quite clear from its vibrancy and cheeky character that the C3 is aimed at younger drivers.
- sounds to me like a model that might attract a higher insurance premium as more likely to be nicked by those to whom that "character" matters, and/or more likely to be involved in accidents?

I like a car that has a good turning-circle and will accelerate quickly when required, for overtaking etc.; something mainstream, easy to obtain parts, economical to run, sufficient room for intended passengers and cargo, easy to get in and out of.

(I have some experience in the motor vehicle market)

Old 08-17-2020, 02:09 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Thanks Willow. I think they are cute too.

Alfie will love the privacy glass in the back!

Thanks Caramel. That all sounds very grown up and sensible. It is the same insurance group as my current car.

Gotta go and make myself look young now ready for the test drive.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:16 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Old 08-17-2020, 02:24 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Kaily you could always get a jeep if you want to come across as the adventurer free-spirited type.

I drive a very bland but practical work truck.
Old 08-17-2020, 04:18 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

I don't drive but i'm considering getting a motorbike...anyone got experience with bikes?
Old 08-17-2020, 04:53 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

I quite like those Citroens Kaily. the whole "car as an expression of personality" is just marketing nonsense - I am not, for instance, a sensibly-priced Czech - so drive whatever you want.

Originally Posted by owen90 View Post
I don't drive but i'm considering getting a motorbike...anyone got experience with bikes?
I don't have one right now but I have done in the past. I was going to get one this year & take it over the France this summer camping, but then CV19 happened.

have you ridden before?
Old 08-17-2020, 05:52 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

What is a sensibly priced Czech? Sounds like an illegal human trafficking thing...

Sao, what are E numbers?

Kaily you'll love the new car! How long did you research it? When I buy a car I just go out and buy one with not a lot of thought. Although I do look at the Consumer Reports on them, even they don't know how it's going to work out. Just general rep. I bought my last car from a reputable company but it was the first year they made the model. Consumer Reports gave it #1 that year. It's had some problems - the whole model has had some problems. Meh, it's a machine.

No, I don't have AC in my condo. We get fewer than 10 days a year over 85*F (29C) I have a box fan. It wasn't too bad even at 97 yesterday (36C) with the windows closed...but two more days of this with no cool-down in between. I'll survive. Lots of water and ice in the refrigerator.

Mags, Sober Bus is in Alcoholism, it's STDragon's thread...

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...s-pt-38-a.html (Please stay on the Sober bus - pt.38)
Old 08-17-2020, 06:13 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Thanks Bim, I was wondering what happened to our Sober Dragon.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:15 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post
Thanks Bim, I was wondering what happened to our Sober Dragon.
Yeah, he's elusive! He's got carpentry projects and ukeleleing to do.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:39 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by andyh View Post
I quite like those Citroens Kaily. the whole "car as an expression of personality" is just marketing nonsense - I am not, for instance, a sensibly-priced Czech - so drive whatever you want.

I don't have one right now but I have done in the past. I was going to get one this year & take it over the France this summer camping, but then CV19 happened.

have you ridden before?
Ah I see. Nope, never ridden one in my entire life. Closest I came was being on the back of a tiny moped in India weaving in and out of traffic and almost getting killed by a bus, lol.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:42 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Owen as your sober granny my vote is...don't buy a motorcycle.

But then I live in the city and have seen/heard/known of too many accidents where the bike most definitely lost the fight.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:55 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Hmmm, wise advice.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:39 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  
Magsie

Thanks for the link, Bim

Owen, Bikes are great if no one else on the road. Unfortunately it can’t be guaranteed. There often seems to be car and motorbike crashes and the biker usually comes worse off.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:05 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Good Monday morning, folks.

Just got caught up on the thread. I missed the seafood feast! I could be happy not eating much meat at all if I could eat more seafood. Being in the middle of the country, I don't get much really good, fresh seafood. I do get out for sushi sometimes, and around here it's just ok. Last week when we were on our little mini vacation, I ate fresh whitefish that was caught in Lake Superior on each of the three days of the trip. It's really wonderful fish, but we can't really get it where I live, even though the lake is only 3 hours north of here. No idea why.

Belated happy 60th, Sao! I had never heard the term "seenagers" before, but I like it.

I did not make it out on the kayak this weekend. I started getting nervous about making sure my daughter has what she needs to go live in the dorms, so I took her shopping yesterday. We found almost everything, and then I came home and ordered more on Amazon. There are just a couple more things to round up. I keep thinking of more things. Like a screwdriver and a utility knife. I keep hoping that she actually gets to go. I am seeing news reports of schools having outbreaks already, even though classes are barely started. I think the reality is that it's a matter of time before she is back home.

Old 08-17-2020, 08:13 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Bim, E numbers are what we call food additives with no nutritional value as they are usually just chemicals of some description used by large manufacturers. They have a bad rap in the UK.

Got through the whole weekend sober and even though had repeated huge urges to buy alcohol today I didn’t give in. Going for an hours walk now which I haven’t done for months.

Happy new car Kaily and very jealous of that fresh shrimp dinner cityboy!!

Old 08-17-2020, 08:15 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  
Magsie

Enjoy your walk MantaLady, well done getting through the weekend!
Old 08-17-2020, 08:20 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  
Magsie

Marty, glad you got all the stuff for your daughter she needs for college. Fingers crossed planned opening date stays. If she needs something else will you be able to order from amazon and have it delivered straight to her?

Hopefully you’ll get out on your kayak soon.