Notices

drinking too much soda

Old 08-19-2020, 10:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

drinking too much soda

When I quit drinking, I gave myself the green light to eat or drinking anything but alcohol and that's what I've been doing. I'm over 7 months sober now and I wouldn't trade my sobriety for anything.

But I love cream soda and pineapple crush so much now. I love the flavours and sugar high. I want one in the afternoon at work (during which time I never drank alcohol) and also 1 or 2 in the evening. There's like 45 grams of sugar in each one so I'm getting concerned.

The original plan was no changes for the first year but honestly I think it's time to rethink this new drinking habit.

Anyone got ideas on what else I could drink that's sweet and flavorful without all the sugar? Although I do plan to keep some sugar in my diet. Just not so much.

Thank You!
Old 08-19-2020, 10:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you have a blender you could make juice, throw in 1 ingredient high in fiber to slow the sugar intake, top it of with full fat whipped cream🤷‍♀️, wouldn't trigger too fast your insulin, the cream has barely any sugar if 1g
Old 08-19-2020, 10:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey there firstly well done on your seven months! don't be too hard on your self because you have done so well and at the end of the day sugar is better than alcohol.....its good your thinking about making changes though. I like to add slices of lemon, orange cucumber and maybe even mint leaves into sparkling water or sometimes add a drop of low sugar fruit juice to the water, still has sugar in the juice but not as sugary as the drinks you mention. Worth a try! good luck xx
Old 08-19-2020, 10:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Orchid, I have two blenders and a huge bag of frozen fruit my husband picked up a while ago that no one is eating. But it's so easy to grab a pop and turn on the TV. I even have flaxmeal somewhere in the house. I really need to get off my a** and starting planning my drinks ahead of time because I'm sad without them!
Old 08-19-2020, 10:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
G-Woman

I drink flavoured carbonated drinks like they're going out of style. I'm pretty sure that stock in Perrier is sky high and it's because of me!

I wouldn't feel too guilty about it, unless you think you'd feel better without all that sugar. Maybe limiting how many sodas per day is a good place to start.

Oh, and congrats on 7 months!
Old 08-19-2020, 10:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Greentree, yes, I'll take this problem over the misery of alcohol any day. Getting up in the morning without the self-loathing is still amazing to me and I think it always will be because I take the time each and every day to express gratitude over my sobriety. And at least with food and non-alcoholic drinks, the options are literally endless. I just can't seem to think of many right now!
Old 08-19-2020, 11:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I really like soda water with lime cordial and also diet cherry pepsi with tons of ice. The diet options are pretty good though sweetners aren't too great. Better than booze though!

Another thing I love are frozen ice poles. Just frozen juice, hardly any sugar
Old 08-19-2020, 11:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations on all that sober time!
I had a similar issue, where I kind of turned to soft drinks when I quit and the habit stuck with me for a while. These days I just drink Mio, which are flavoured drops you add to water that are zero sugar and zero calories. The fruit smoothies suggested are honestly a great idea, as there are many health benefits and they taste great too.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think I'm going to try to come up with a good recipe for a fruit smoothie with flax to replace my afternoon drink for tomorrow. See how that goes. Gonna throw in some stevia drops see how that goes. I actually have the stevia drops here at my desk.

When I was boozing, I was super conscious over my sugar intake because there's so much sugar in wine. But now, I'd say I'm consuming more sugar then I ever did.

Just like quitting alcohol, some planning is needed.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I drink so much Coke Zero I should own stock. Caffeine used to keep me awake, now it literally makes me tired. Better than booze though. Better than booze.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I started making my own cream sodas using soda water and a little bit of heavy cream. Sometimes I add a little bit of erythritol or monkfruit sweetener. The jury is still out on erythritol and whether it's bad for you, but I haven't had any ill effects. You could add your sweetener of choice, but when I use a flavored sparkling water, no sweetener is required.

SC
Old 08-19-2020, 01:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SuficintCrlsns View Post
I started making my own cream sodas using soda water and a little bit of heavy cream. Sometimes I add a little bit of erythritol or monkfruit sweetener. The jury is still out on erythritol and whether it's bad for you, but I haven't had any ill effects. You could add your sweetener of choice, but when I use a flavored sparkling water, no sweetener is required.

SC
very interesting. Not sure what monkfruit is but I used erythritol once before and liked it. Better tasting than stevia. I can’t do dairy but maybe full fat coconut milk might work. I could play around with the sugar ratios and still add in some cane sugar. I love cream soda so much can’t wait to try this!
Old 08-19-2020, 02:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

I drink those flavored waters like LaCroix, the Aldi's version, Polar, Bubbly and what not. Sweet without all that sugar! Plus it's water
Old 08-19-2020, 04:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I would look for a replacement or healthier or alternative. Maybe taper it down a bit instead of suddenly. If your AV pipes up pick up that cream soda and down it! Most of my previous quit attempts have allowed me to eat whatever sugar I wanted. This is one of my strongest attempts in a LONG time and I did the OPPOSITE. Maybe cleaning up your diet could shore up your quit even more. Give it a shot.
Old 08-19-2020, 05:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I like to fill a glass a quarter full of orange juice. I like the stuff with pulp in it. Then I fill the rest of the glass with diet orange soda. It lights up my mouth with and orange rush. I drink way too much of this stuff. My dental hygienist got me off it for about two years. She said it was horrible for your teeth, but after a couple years, I started drinking it again. It's probably not the best thing for you, but it's way better than getting drunk.
Old 08-19-2020, 06:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

For the pineapple crush craving you could add some carbonate to pineapple juice for a healthy drink.
7 Months.....congratulations!
I wouldn't worry about the next goal either until after 1 year....
Old 08-19-2020, 07:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Samantha

It's a lot of sugar but much better than alcohol or drugs!
I drink diet coke a few times a week...i am also addicted lol.
Old 08-20-2020, 03:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

I make koolaid and I control how much sugar I put in or I drink filtered water
Old 08-20-2020, 03:59 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Not so much a suggestion as an alternative but just a thought. Are you drinking mouth to can/glass or using a straw?
Simply thinking about the effect of sugar etc on your teeth enamel.
Years ago I had an acquaintance who only drank carbonated drinks (diet cola) and her teeth were atrocious.
(Really hope this is not sounding 'preachy', just what popped into my head when I read your post).
Old 08-20-2020, 04:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the suggestions. I have a lot to work with!

Max, I agree 100%. Today my stomach is really bad...got into my husbands junk food stash last night. I have a lot of food intolerances including dairy and gluten...gluten makes me really sick. I always do best when I spend a lot of time in the kitchen cooking from scratch but these hot summer days have slowed me down. Still no excuse though.

Truth is, I want a rock hard healthy lean body. I'm not stopping until I have it.

If I never got into the booze this would have been all figured out years ago. So today I'm grateful that the time has finally arrived where I can step back and work on myself.