Notices

Back in the trough.

Old 07-13-2020, 07:56 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

I don't believe what you said in post #78, Tap. Graffiti is consigned to the Magistrates Court. There is no Judge and Jury there, in the U K, just Magistrates. What's going on?
Old 07-13-2020, 09:30 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post
I don't believe what you said in post #78, Tap. Graffiti is consigned to the Magistrates Court. There is no Judge and Jury there, in the U K, just Magistrates. What's going on?
I think he was telling porkies
Old 07-13-2020, 01:10 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

OK Mysteryman, I agree, I was a cog in the UK legal system for a long time.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:12 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

OK Mysteryman, I agree, I was a cog in the UK legal system for a long time.
I can tell. If it wasnt for you, we'd all be thinking judges in the UK inhaled helium during trials!
Old 07-13-2020, 01:18 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Ah Judges, I have many a tale to tell, but they don't involve helium. Mysteryman are you, perchance, Tap's alter-ego?
Old 07-13-2020, 01:21 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Ah Judges, I have many a tale to tell, but they don't involve helium. Mysteryman are you, perchance, Tap's alter-ego?
I can imagine.
I'm nobody's alter ego.

Old 07-13-2020, 01:24 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Good news, Mysteryman, I apologise for posing the alter-ego question. I'm pleased you're you!
Old 07-13-2020, 01:26 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Good news, Mysteryman, I apologise for posing the alter-ego question. I'm pleased you're you!
Not a problem. Im pleased Im me too.
Are you tap's alter ego though?

Old 07-13-2020, 01:34 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

I'm not playing MM......

How you are you today, on the drinking/stopping drinking front, Tap?
Old 07-13-2020, 02:18 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Forget about any legal arguments the fact is I'm a free man now and I can start my life again and that's the main thing. I can put the whole sorry story of the Crown against taplow behind me and rebuild my life. Thanks Doriss, but - and I'm no legal expert - I've got an idea that balloons in court might be inadmissable. Tatsy, what are you suggesting? You know that I can't be in two places at one time.
Obladi, I hope you're okay, of course.

Old 07-13-2020, 03:19 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I'm glad you avoided the electric chair.

You can beat this drinking thing too now which is only a collosal waste of time, money and good health anyway.

Good luck Taplow!
Old 07-13-2020, 04:01 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Thanks saoutchik, I'm fine and I hope you are too. Yes, drinking is bad. Well we all know that don't we? It's just that it seems like a good idea at the time.
Cute little penguin picture there.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:37 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Excellent dodging, Artful Dodger.
If Monday wasn't the day (and I presume it wasn't), when is?

C'mon man, you know the longer this goes the worse it gets.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:27 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

taplow, are you actually doing something, anything at all, to try and get that “one clear day” that you say is all you need to get you going on a long stretch of sobriety? If so why not tell us? I saw someone use the term “buffoonery” on this thread not long ago. Is that really all there is to it?

If you can’t stop on your own you need to get help, mate.

I’m doing well and hope soon you’ll do too.

Old 07-14-2020, 01:09 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

I think if everyone could stay in just the right state of mind drink used to do for them. If they could hit just the right pitch of comfort to get them through the day, but still function well. If they could live in a little alcohol bubble floating about, feeling fine, earning a living, having that false confidence drink gives you, without hurting themselves or others, everyone would be doing it.

But alcohol doesn't work like that. It's a drug that causes the body to build up a tolerance, you need more and more to get the same effect (as you know). And the more you drink, the more damage it does, most noticeably to your brain and cognitive functions.
It's not a harmless pastime or a comfort blanket. It's a hardcore neurotoxin. It can and does render people severely brain damaged (among other heinous damage, it doesn't do things by half). That wonderful quirky way of thinking you have, will degenerate into totally mindless ramblings, like the bloke you see wondering the streets talking to people only he can see.
It causes self degradation, loss of your authentic self, you just become a vessel for the drink, like a bottle is.
If alcohol created a warm fuzzy place people want to stay in forever, the whole world would be floating about half drunk.

This drug, kills millions of people a year. But you may end up one of the unlucky ones that it doesn't kill fast. You may end up so brain damaged you have to have other people change your nappies and spoon feed you.

Anyway, don't even know what point I'm trying to get at.
Just started out with the thought that you have this unusual, creative mind, that you have mentioned in other threads is still the same way you think when you don't drink. I like people with unusual ways of thinking. I think you like that part about your mind too.
Drinking won't enhance that mind, it will destroy your brain so you won't have a mind left to express.

And on that cheerful note I'll end this muddled post. Take Care
Old 07-14-2020, 03:10 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Thanks Obladi. You give me a lot of support; don't think I don't appreciate it. I hope you're doing well. You are the stripy queen. So stay on the up escalator.

Captain Haddock thankyou. Yes I just need that one clear day. I don't think we're all like that are we? A lot will get sober and still have to fight the compulsion everyday but I'm not like that. Yes I just need one clear day and then it's easy. I usually can do it and I've had lots of help on here - which I'm aware I do little to deserve. I don't usually take in complicated strategies, they don't tie in with the reality in front of me. So, well I don't know really.
I like the term buffoonery used a few times here about my posts. The word sort of sounds like its meaning. I now just stay on threads I've started rather than infect other people's with my tiresome, predictable, juvenile, drunken, attention seeking drivel.
I'm on my last warning - I've been shown an incredible tolerance by SR - and wouldn't want to increase the chance of saying the wrong thing which would be more likely if I'm directly in contact with the vast legions who want to avoid me - those who think that a site that exists to stop drinking should actually be about stopping drinking.

Hi Doriss, really, really great post there. You've described a situation that does frighten me. It's not the dying but living without being able to look after myself, totally under another's control. Being without self awareness is a nightmare. Unable even to end things. Not really a person, horrifying. With dying, I can say "I don't care," but this is something else.
You've said one thing that can penetrate through the mask. A horrible picture. That's something I can keep in mind.
Thanks very, very much for that. I could tell you'd come good.

Also, I'm a clean person, I always shower at least once a day and change my clothes, but this morning I woke up with a strange, not nice smell coming out of my pores. I don't know what it is. I wonder if it's alcohol related. Maybe it's not really there and that only I can smell it which would be even more worrying. I can't really go up to someone and ask them to sniff me.

Anyway I'm all set now.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:42 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Fab taplow
You remind me a lot of myself in your thinking. People tell me I have an "unusual" mind. I think it's a polite way of saying I'm a bit of a nutcase 😂. But the one thing I like about myself is being able to roll thoughts and ideas around in my mind, see different angles of things. I like thinking up weirdness to keep myself amused. I'm terrified of ending up a cabbage through the drink.
Infact we do have a phrase in this part of the country for when someone is absolutely off their heads with the drink...cabbaged

EDIT Can I just add one more thing that you said to someone else there? Doesn't matter if you say no, I'm still going to!
I am using AVRT this time (well again). In AVRT the DESIRE to drink we call the Beast. A malfunctioning survival instinct if you will. This desire to drink lives perpetually in the "now" No past, no future. Therefore when this desire takes over, you don't think of what has happened before and you don't care what will happen in the future. Get to the point Doriss, I will!

What I'm trying to say is, whether you give up now, or next week or next year, this desire to drink, the Beast in AVRT will always feel like it does NOW. How do you feel about giving up drinking NOW? This minute? The panic and reluctance you feel, that's the Beast. But if you say "I'll give up tomorrow" when tomorrow comes, it will feel exactly the same about giving up drinking as NOW. Same as it will next week, next year or 10 years time.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:18 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

I will look at AVRT Doriss. I remember learning about it a while ago and thinking it was brilliant. It made so much sense. But I remember my idea was that if it works for alcohol then why doesn't it work for everything, in fact why wouldn't it work for your thinking, for your whole life. I can't remember to what goods yard that train of thought led me.
You've an unusual mind? They're the people I like best. But not always, because there are a lot who are just weird instead of relating to others. There's also lots of people in the "you don't have to be mad to work here," brigade who say they're crazy and really aren't - and why should they be?
But the people who I get on with least - and it's their decision - always tend to be humourless. I think that humourless people don't seem to have time to waste which sounds crazy. They're always functional. Humour is weird isn't it? You see humour and you see humanity. But then there are nasty, witty people? Well I'm not talking about them. They laugh but with serious faces. Oh I've veered off again.
But yes, AVRT, I'm going to read about it and see if it makes the impression on me it did before.

Tomorrow I've got stuff to do. Have a nice day and thanks.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:28 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Yes, tomorrow I plan to boil an egg.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:58 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

I take it people think I have an unusual mind because they say "wth are you going on about" when I'm telling them the mysteries of the universe and life, which they just can't seem to grasp.
Or when they say "What were you thinking" when I tell them about the latest failure of the fool proof plan I had.
When I say people are saying politely I'm a nutter, I don't mean the "I'm mad, I am" kind, but the verging on the psychotic kind.
Humour is a very person preference. All I know, is I think I'm funny even if no one else does. Infact I have suffered the odd punch to the throat when someone has asked "You think you're funny?" and I say yes.

If you are interested in AVRT look up all Algorithms or someone whose name I can't remember ( but started the really long AVRT thread years ago, I'll post it here if I ever find it again) in Secular connections. There's quite a few posters in there that know what they are talking about. And a few that don't.
Word of warning!! If you've had a skinful when you go looking, you might see a duplicate of each post. Just shut one eye and you'll be fine, always worked for me
I like your plans for tomorrow.