Notices

Welcome to Weekenders 22-25 May 2020

Old 05-23-2020, 06:28 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I love the graphics on those planes @Mags1 . Are planes still flying? I live in the long-approach pattern for Seattle-Tacoma International and I haven't really heard any planes for months.

At least our national medical guy that's been doing all the Covid briefings is now saying (finally) that it's time to reopen the economy or suffer permanent consequences.

Let's do this thing. Three months is long enough...regardless.

Old 05-23-2020, 06:34 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Magsie

Bim, I think some planes are flying, we’re getting flights into the U.K. just not as many.

Kaily, it certainly resembled a jumbo!
Old 05-23-2020, 09:28 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I hope they sort it out soon bim. You should get what you are entitled to. These are concerning times.

I was woken up at 5.30 this morning by a car alarm that was close enough to mine that I had to get up and check it wasn't (-it wasn't) Turned out it out one of the newish residents in our block. A city finance type. I'll let his tyres down if it happens again.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:34 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

So many babies at the zoo...that I can't visit...::sob::

Blog post - - -https://blog.zoo.org/2020/05/welcome...-mountain.html

Photo by Jeremy Dwyer-Lindgren/Woodland Park Zoo

New baby Pudu (world's smallest deer.)

Old 05-23-2020, 10:10 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

We saw the first babies (fawns) in our yard yesterday! Twins, barely bigger than cats.

Saoutchik, I despise car alarms! City types coming to the islands on vacation often have car alarms go off repeatedly while on the ferries to the islands.

I'm on the couch with two cats. Hope everyone else is doing well!

Old 05-23-2020, 03:02 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I found out someone close to me has the virus...well, close to someone I'm close to. So, two degrees of separation and luckily an entire continent between us. I haven't been in physical contact, but the one with the virus is closely related to someone I care about. The one who tested positive is young, in his twenties and asymptomatic and that may be in his favor - but my person who is related to him is in his sixties, so that's concerning since they've been in each others' houses and stuff.

I'm ready for this to be over.

Old 05-23-2020, 04:46 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope your friends/relatives will be ok Bim.

D
Old 05-23-2020, 09:17 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Bim, sorry your friend has the virus. Hope they make a full recovery. . The baby Pudu deer is gorgeous, I looked at the link and they’re all adorable. Baby mountain goat has such a lot of thick coat (is that the right word for his fur?) he’s adorable.

Coldfusion, how lovely to have the young deer in your garden, they’ll certainly keep your grass down.

Saou, that annoying car alarm!

I don’t think of myself as a nosy person, let people get on with their lives. Though I have an interest in people I know. But I’ve found myself watching closely when people are working from home and they’re on the TV being interviewed, looking at their endless rows of books, gorgeous cushions, nice paintings, and one lady had her two cats playing/scrapping behind her, she couldn’t hear them because of her headphones and didn’t understand why people were laughing while she was speaking. :lamo:

Take care and Be safe and sober.xx
Old 05-23-2020, 10:22 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

It has been unseasonably windy this weekend. My beautiful rambling rose which I have spent years trying to train into a makeshift arch got blown down. I then spent hours grappling with the thorny beast trying to save it and becoming increasingly frustrated at how difficult it is to do everything on my own. I couldn't take all its weight and secure it having only two hands which by the then were bleeding not to mention all the thorns in my head! And to say back ache...arhh.

Then the av decided I needed a reward and staged an attack and I found myself agreeing. When I finish I will buy alcohol, I deserve it etc etc. It was a close call, too close. I jumped in the bath, took antihistamine for all my wounds and soothed with chocolate medicine.

The rose is only very temporarily fixed, I sadly have to admit defeat. The whole time Alfie watched on, ball in situ annoyingly begging to play.

Later just as I started to relax I got a text saying my email had been hacked...

Today is a new day.

Happy Sunday
Old 05-24-2020, 12:11 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry about your roses and your bad day Kaily - so glad you stayed sober though

D
Old 05-24-2020, 12:31 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Magsie

Kaily, I hope some of your rose arch can be rescued. Glad you kicked the av away.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:13 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I feel for you about the wind and your garden. We've had exactly the same, I rescued some very young plants from very heavy rain yesterday, they were getting smashed in!

I had a weird drinking dream last night, someone handed me two cans of a certain brand of cider as we left football training. A) I don't go to football training and B) it was a brand I never drank

In my dream I drank both without making a decision, just took them and drank them and then realised I shouldn't have done. I wasn't drunk, I just regretted drinking them and started working out how many days I had 'lost'.

I was very relieved when I woke up!
Old 05-24-2020, 05:01 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Drinking dreams are great
Guilt free relapses
​​​​
Old 05-24-2020, 05:41 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Oh Kaily, I am so sorry about your beautiful roses and your hands love.
I bet you are sore.....hope you have some good healing cream.
And we need to get you gardening gloves.....and yes, I bet you have plenty but gosh those roses are hard to tame.
I would have been so upset....really glad the AV took a hike. s ❤️
Old 05-24-2020, 06:08 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I have to admit that Sao's posting about the gin the other day woke up my AV, too. So much stress, I think it's really given it an "in." I don't know why I followed his link to the Wiki article about it - I know better.

I got one of those scam things recently Kaily. It was an extortion attempt telling me they had access to my email and my camera and were going to contact all my contacts with details and video of what I was doing while watching um...adult entertainment...which I've never done, so, pick another mark, losers. They wanted $1800 to stay quiet. In Bitcoin, of course - the currency of all upstanding citizens.

Happy Sober Sunday. Right now out my window I am looking at a snow goose...he has taken up company with a group of Canada geese and for the last few years has been around here. A few months ago I saw a female with them after years of seeing the male alone - now she has disappeared. I hope it's just that she's on a nest somewhere. Beautiful bird, but I guess they are a nuisance due to huge flocks, just like Canada geese.

Old 05-24-2020, 07:42 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Porpoise picture from fishing trip yesterday. @bimini, we did not swim with them. I just somehow feel like I would be invading their personal space by doing that.

That little deer is the cutest.

Not a car alarm, but the people across the canal and a couple of houses over from our friend's house had a puppy that would start crying every few minutes. It was that terrible high pitched "eewww, eewww, eewww, eewww, eewww...".

Old 05-24-2020, 08:08 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Oh my gosh how divine.

bim.....I am so sorry about your relative's friend/relative who has Covid.
I am pretty unable to articulate how I feel about all of this most of the time.....so upsetting to watch the numbers rise every day. s
Old 05-24-2020, 08:33 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Cityboy, that is awesome. I think they are curious...they are very smart. If they didn't want to be near you they have a whole lotta ocean to swim away. They are so fast you wouldn't even see which way they went unless they wanted you to see them.

Bimini is where I swam with the wild dolphins, but I think if done slowly and carefully those in your image would probably stick around, or at least come back once swimmers were in the water. The one thing that doesn't work is swimming after them or trying to touch them (even reaching out an arm doesn't work) or making a lot of noise/splashing/yelling/being excited. They're like cats that way, "Imma stay j-u-s-t out of your reach. Go 'head just try to touch me." If they weren't interested, they'd be 100 feet away, not five feet away.

I would have been over the side before you could say, "Chum!"

When/if I move to Florida, maybe you'll take me fishing. My step-dad owned an outdoor store, boats, guns, surfing and fishing stuff. I grew up in the outdoor lifestyle in Florida. If I have to sell and move back it will be a homecoming of sorts.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:34 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Kaily, how sad about your beautiful trellis/arch of roses. And, oh my gosh, rose thorns HURT. I agree with Suze about the healing cream; a gel would feel good, too. If you have any Epsom salts, a warm bath/soak with those could be very soothing.

Our area is very prone to high winds and incredible gusts. Trellises don’t work well. Have you thought about an arch or trellis that you could somehow attach to a wall of your home?

Be123, sorry to hear about your drinking dream; they can be so unsettling but somehow, at the same time, they can serve to reinforce our resolve to remain sober. They remind us that going back is not what we want. My drinking dreams (had one last night, actually) always end at the end of the drink; there is no decision making process which occurs in the dream. My dream always starts with the knowledge that I have blown my sobriety - awful.

CityBoy, how wonderful that you saw those dolphins!
Old 05-24-2020, 10:59 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Sao, sorry about your rude awakening; car alarms are great except when they malfunction - ugh. I once awoke to the sound of a car horn blaring - cursing its owner, only to soon realize when there were angry knocks at my apartment door that it was the horn on MY car that was blaring; it was well before car alarms and a neighbor was able to make it stop but not before the occupants dozens of nearby apartments were awakened.

Suze, can’t wait to see your finished VW succulent planter. It’s going to be so cute.