Notices

Welcome to Weekenders 22-25 May 2020

Old 05-22-2020, 06:55 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Happy Friday! Holiday weekend, to boot! I was hoping to get out kayaking and fishing this weekend, but the weather does not look like it's going to cooperate. Might be another weekend of projects at home. But the weather people are often wrong so... fingers crossed. If not, there's always plenty keep me busy at home. Clothes don't wash themselves, and floors don't vacuum and mop themselves. I also have some organizing projects that really need to be done. I'm slowly reclaiming my house from decades of "acquiring." So. much. stuff. I'm almost to a point where there is not a ton of stuff left to get rid of, but things are not where they belong. Mostly because I was allowing my ex-husband to store a lot of his things here, because he's been living in a fairly small apartment for a long time. Well, he bought a house and is moving next week. I gently reminded him he can come get his stuff soon... Then I can really get organized. That's an exciting prospect, for sure.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:54 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

MLD, getting rid of stuff is so therapeutic. When we downsized, we found that most things fell into the category of ‘stuff’ - even things that we once thought to be so very important. We divested ourselves of probably 65% of what we had. We haven’t missed one thing - not once. Living small and relatively simply is cathartic.

Coldfusion, I loved your reference to the ‘madland’. Living in it, we really can’t escape it but, when we relocated, it was our intent to find a quieter place and slower pace - a bubble of sorts with grocery shopping, Church and a few restaurants close by. We mostly succeeded. We can bike to get groceries, if necessary, even bike to a handful of restaurants - without venturing onto the main roads. Church attendance requires a car. We love the small life. Sounds like you guys enjoy that, too; the occasional trip to the madland seems a small price to pay.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:15 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Mesa, you have been quite busy. I bet the results are great. MesaDog looks quite content.

and love to all.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:21 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Friday, huh? How would I know if you all didn't tell me? I didn't even know it is a holiday weekend. One of the perks/problems with not watching network TV. I can live with it.

No drinking is the norm, so I'll just keep trucking down that road, Spanish moss and palmettos on the side.

In for a sober weekend.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:28 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Lifted this from erfra’s post in the 24 Hour thread:

‘Sober is the new cool’

“After moving from Texas to Florida at age 15, I was naturally searching for new friends. Drinking seemed to be my ticket into the ‘cool kids’ crew. Mixed with just the right amount of curiosity and boredom, this quickly led to binge drinking and using harder drugs. By the time I was 21, I was addicted to alcohol and cocaine.

"As a result of my substance abuse, I developed anxiety disorder. I would drink to manage my anxiety, unknowingly feeding it at the same time. I tried moderation and rules around drinking, but happy hour somehow always turned into sunrise, and back to the bottle I’d go. Meanwhile, I still managed to work, pay my bills, and even go to the gym, which convinced me that it wasn’t a problem. This continued for many years, until one day I reached a breaking point: I was sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. The hangovers. The shame and guilt. The anxiety. It had become too heavy to carry.

"After another bender, I dropped to my knees in prayer. I wasn’t a religious person, but I was desperate for a change, a miracle. From that day forward, I never drank or used cocaine again. I simply became willing to do things differently.

"I made a commitment to try sobriety, developed a strong spiritual practice, and eventually found yoga. I decided not to let my relationship with alcohol affect my ability to be social or have fun. I started feeling and looking better—along with my bank account, might I add. After a year, I accepted sobriety as a lifestyle, and I’ve been on a mission ever since to show people that sober is the new cool.” Carly Benson, 36, sober for nine years
Old 05-22-2020, 10:28 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
No drinking is the norm, so I'll just keep trucking down that road, Spanish moss and palmettos on the side.

In for a sober weekend.

What beautiful small road. Looks almost autumnal.

That was a good post Leigh. I wish I had got nine years sobriety at age 36 but i'll take my 5 at 59.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:49 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

That road is in Florida, not my image. Lots of roads like that in Florida, though. I think those large trees are Live Oak.

I've been giving serious thought to moving back to Florida. I don't think I'm going to be able to keep my condo in this current financial freefall...so, it's something to look forward to.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:54 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Landscaping is done! Pictures this afternoon sometime. I promise. I'll put them in an album and link it.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:04 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Pretty picture with the live oaks and spanish moss. Looks like something from my neck of the woods. My guess would be Alachua County?

Mom and Dad have downsized considerably and have given literally multiple Uhaul trailer loads of "stuff" to church yard sales. I try not to think about what all that stuff cost from the retail stores.

Bimini, I hope the financial crisis begins returning to a pre-pandemic normal state soon.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:12 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I applied for social security retirement because I had to apply in a particular three month period due to my age in order to have it start when it should. I applied mid-March. I need that money.

The government appears to be swamped or just not able to process all the unemployment and other social welfare disbursements. I've heard nothing back from them...doubt I'll be getting those checks when I should. No way to know when or if they will materialize. They're still billing me for Medicare - which is supposed to come out of the retirement check. It's a big mess. I can't reach anyone by phone, their automated system appears to be offline, and with all the fraud going on - I'm just not sure how or if all this will work out.

If I have to sell, so be it. I've lived here a long time and I like it - but it is what it is.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:25 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I hope you don't have to move Bim, I know what a scary prospect that is especially on your own. Would Florida be cheaper?

Old 05-22-2020, 11:35 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
I hope you don't have to move Bim, I know what a scary prospect that is especially on your own. Would Florida be cheaper?
Florida might be cheaper...I would not live in a high-tech area like this one. We've been gentrified in my area.

It doesn't matter. If I can't make my homeowners' association payments I have to sell. I'm trying to look at it as a life adventure, instead of scary.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:43 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Yes adventure is a much better word.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:45 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hello Weekenders!

Bimini, good luck with the Social Security. I am missing one payment from unemployment, but that system is so screwed up that many have gotten no payments at all. I just read on Facebook that claimants are told it may take ten weeks to a year to resolve issues.

We have all kinds of stuff we don't use. For example, my wife sent a whole small truck full of antique furniture from Virginia after her mother died. Most of it fits in, but there is a beautiful rocking chair that belonged to her grandmother that we never use. Her grandmother was a famous woodcarver, and we have several ornately carved pieces. But she did not carve her own rocker, although it was custom-built. The caning is very unique--it is individually woven through holes on the frame, instead of being a sheet of pre-woven caning stuck into a groove with a spline. I'm afraid if we sit on it, we'll damage the caning.

I don't think I'll start on painting the outside of the house until it warms up and dries out a little. It's currently cloudy, 53˚ F and 70% humidity, and that is on the edge of acceptable painting conditions.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 05-22-2020, 04:01 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you can work it out Bim

D
Old 05-22-2020, 10:11 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Bim, gorgeous photo, naive of me to think Florida was just all about sand and sea. I hope they get your retirement payments up and running. I love your positive attitude.

I’ve just seen an airplane on tv with pictures of elephants along the side of it. Might be Indian or African airways? I’ll have to check.

Hope all is well in your world, stay safe, sober and take care. :

Old 05-22-2020, 10:38 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hope these are ok to post. I didn’t find the elephants one but I thought these two were great!

Old 05-22-2020, 11:41 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Morning, weekenders!

Tha'ts amazing, Mags. Never seen an airplane like this.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:07 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
I’ve just seen an airplane on tv with pictures of elephants along the side of it.:
was it a Jumbo?
Old 05-23-2020, 06:25 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Wow, Mags, what fantastic graphics on that plane! How exciting it would be to embark upon a safari adventure with a flight on one of those planes.

Bim, I hope that you can get some positive response on your retirements benefits soon. It must be discouraging not to have received at least a confirmation yet. Have you tried calling on a Saturday? Many people don’t think to call on Saturday but they are open.

Looking forward to the pics, MLD.

We had a few wild storms yesterday with more on the forecast for later today. I love heavy rain and thunder but, when the lightning gets wickedly close, you find me shrinking and cowardly hiding.