Notices

Coronavirus

Old 03-24-2020, 04:52 PM
  # 441 (permalink)  

I'm 0 for 4 on that quiz.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:53 PM
  # 442 (permalink)  

I googled it. That was hilarious but like Dee said, probably not best for here. LOL.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:22 PM
  # 443 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The news here is if 90% if us isolate we could be out the other end on 13 weeks.
slightly longer at 80%...

I dunno - that just made me feel a little more hopeful

D
I feel the same way. s xx ❤️
Old 03-24-2020, 07:38 PM
  # 444 (permalink)  

I had a pretty awful adventure today.
We were running out of too many things, so I decided to make a trip to Walmart. I could have just gone to my nearby grocery store, but my grandson has had a huge sudden growth spurt and had almost no clothing that fit.
I have a large family and I am terrified of being in public now so I was loading up, hoping to not have to go again for a week or more, and had a huge cart of groceries plus Orin's clothing.
The person running the register was an elderly, very nice lady. But, she kept coughing into her hand and then touching my groceries. I was shocked. I even though it felt so awkward, I told her, "You just coughed into your hand and then touched my food. I need you to use some hand sanitizer before you touch anything else. I'm so sorry to have to ask you that, but I have a family at home that has to stay well."
She was miffed but not ugly about it, and went to spray her hands with some glass cleaner she saw nearby. I said, "Don't you have any hand sanitizer?" She said, no, she didn't.
A manager overheard and went to get some. While we were waiting I started putting things on the conveyor belt and I was so upset I dropped a giant jar of pasta sauce and it broke and splattered glass and sauce everywhere. I had to then wait while they called a maintenance person to come and get all the glass and sauce up. I wanted to just disappear!
They were all clearly mad at me. When it was all cleaned up, which took forever, she started checking things through again, and when she coughed into her hand and picked up the bananas to scan them, I just said, "I'm so sorry, but I can't buy these things" and left.
I was so embarrassed. That lady probably has no understanding of the damage she can cause. But Walmart does, and they are clearly not doing the training they need to do.
I wouldn't be surprised to find my photo posted in the managers office saying, "Not allowed in the Store" if I ever do go back, which I seriously doubt.
I then found a little discount shop that sells children's clothing and went to my local grocers for just what we had to have today. I told the kids to put things away and got right into the shower.
All that is really not important in the scheme of things, but I do appreciate so much having a place to share it. It was a petty thing, but weighing on my mind.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:45 PM
  # 445 (permalink)  

You did the right thing Sober369. You have a social conscience.

I hope they replaced your pasta sauce.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:51 PM
  # 446 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would have left too Karen - thats just not responsible at all

D
Old 03-24-2020, 09:04 PM
  # 447 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober369 View Post
We were running out of too many things, so I decided to make a trip to Walmart. I could have just gone to my nearby grocery store, but my grandson has had a huge sudden growth spurt and had almost no clothing that fit.
I have a large family and I am terrified of being in public now so I was loading up, hoping to not have to go again for a week or more, and had a huge cart of groceries plus Orin's clothing.
The person running the register was an elderly, very nice lady. But, she kept coughing into her hand and then touching my groceries. I was shocked. I even though it felt so awkward, I told her, "You just coughed into your hand and then touched my food. I need you to use some hand sanitizer before you touch anything else. I'm so sorry to have to ask you that, but I have a family at home that has to stay well."
She was miffed but not ugly about it, and went to spray her hands with some glass cleaner she saw nearby. I said, "Don't you have any hand sanitizer?" She said, no, she didn't.
A manager overheard and went to get some. While we were waiting I started putting things on the conveyor belt and I was so upset I dropped a giant jar of pasta sauce and it broke and splattered glass and sauce everywhere. I had to then wait while they called a maintenance person to come and get all the glass and sauce up. I wanted to just disappear!
They were all clearly mad at me. When it was all cleaned up, which took forever, she started checking things through again, and when she coughed into her hand and picked up the bananas to scan them, I just said, "I'm so sorry, but I can't buy these things" and left.
I was so embarrassed. That lady probably has no understanding of the damage she can cause. But Walmart does, and they are clearly not doing the training they need to do.
I wouldn't be surprised to find my photo posted in the managers office saying, "Not allowed in the Store" if I ever do go back, which I seriously doubt.
I then found a little discount shop that sells children's clothing and went to my local grocers for just what we had to have today. I told the kids to put things away and got right into the shower.
All that is really not important in the scheme of things, but I do appreciate so much having a place to share it. It was a petty thing, but weighing on my mind.
This actually makes a great short story . . . .hmmm . . . or maybe you are just good at writing. . . . . . . . . . I seem to be easily distracted by literary merit. Can I blame it on the weirdness of living through a pandemic?

I'd actually feel pretty crap about an incident like that myself. Ugh.

Old 03-25-2020, 12:12 AM
  # 448 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jr67 View Post
Boston report:

Mia salumeria favorita era aperto oggi.

(How did I do, caro Meraviglioso?)
Pretty good! La mia salumeria preferita era aperto oggi.

You need the definitive article "la" in front of a possessive adjective. And "favorita" is a false friend, sounds the same but you would use "preferred" preferita.

Oh, and I am carA... a female. Although my user name is masculine you would still refer to a person by their gender, while an object you would change the gender to match the gender of an object.

I am glad to hear of everyone taking this seriously and staying in. Karen, you definitely did the right thing. To protect yourself, but also to make a very clear point to others about how seriously they should be taking this.

Yesterday, unfortunately the numbers were back up after a two day decline. Particularly in my area. But I am staying calm, staying in and cleaning my house like crazy every day.

Have a nice, safe day everyone.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:14 AM
  # 449 (permalink)  

It's 4am here and while I've been sleeping well these past two wks (weird, right?) tonight I couldn't. so I just learned from the early news that our Congress passed a $2T (yes, trillion) bail out/assistance bill. Of course it will be all over the news today and we'll learn what the key points actually mean, but since y'all know I'm in the restaurant business, after the "rush checks to citizens" part as a kind of replacement pay (what that means exactly, who knows?), what caught my eye was the subsidies for key industries. What meets the definition of "key"? I think odds might be tragically against the restaurant world.

I also can't stand hearing "open for business by Easter." There's no way that the US will be at that point in a few wks when all 50 states are affected, cases and death counts where they are- how can the curve be flattened (enough?) to reopen? While it's true that NYC is the ultimate example (the entire state, as far as a state goes) of obscene outbreak and you have lots of spots across the country that have minimal effect, can we really pinpoint what can be confined/quarantined and what can be "reopened for business/life?"

To me, any rush to think we are thru this is puts us at a risk of the flu epidemic of 1918, or worse.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:29 AM
  # 450 (permalink)  

I haven't been staying informed on all the news.. In fact I've been deliberately uninformed about the vast majority of things regarding politics or global news for quite a while, but now might be a good time to tune back in. I was fine with all this when I thought it was going to be a sort of 3 week vacation, but know the reality is it could be much longer. I do think it would be unfair to consider restaurants essential services (at least for take out and delivery) but then exclude them from additional help given to key industries.

With no benefits or paid time off, plus hourly pay at or sometimes below minimum wage (so even unemployment will barely make a dent) I know a lot of people are in a bad position. I've found a couple links/programs offering financial assistance to bartenders and other tipped workers (uber, delivery, etc.). This won't help the business owners of course but is good for employees to know about.

https://www.usbgfoundation.org/beap

https://onefairwage.com/
Old 03-25-2020, 02:46 AM
  # 451 (permalink)  

Molte grazie, Mera.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:54 AM
  # 452 (permalink)  
Life is good

Hugs, Karen.

It's okay to stand up for ourselves. To leave a situation like that and move onward!! I'm sorry about the pasta sauce and the horrible experience with the coughing cashier.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:57 AM
  # 453 (permalink)  

I had first real cravings today, probably triggered by a combination of the strange times, good weather. Who cares, I'm smothering it with sugary coffee, junk food and good shows. Not ideal, but still much better than the stupid old game of russain roullette that is drinking.

But it really would be extra mad this time. The hospital I was recently in sadly has had coronavirus fatalities now. But it is a strange atmosphere out there. Everyone's on edge, and I virtually ran from people coughing. I would have done the same too Sober369. At the very least they should take someone who is coughing off the tills. They are wearing gloves at least here now.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:36 AM
  # 454 (permalink)  

All I know is the cruise industries does not seem like a critical industry. My concern is the auto industry and I did not see mention to that. Most of my work is related so thats important to me. I wont get political as to why our pres. wants to boost the cruise industry. I hear they make billions and are not yet even hurting. As far as leaving that grocery store, dont feel bad. Sounds like a horrible situation indeed. Probably(definitely) the right thing to do. I've been laid off for 6 months and 9 months many of times 8 months recently and even 15 months once during the recession and no one is home. This time my wife is here and daughter so this is an easy thing for me. What is concerning is if my wife loses her job also. 0 people making money is scary although I hear the banks could lower or delay mortgage bills for up to 6 months. Similar with cars so that good.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:52 AM
  # 455 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober369 View Post
You are officially my hero of the day Karen. s xx ❤️
Old 03-25-2020, 08:40 AM
  # 456 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeadEast View Post
I googled it. That was hilarious but like Dee said, probably not best for here. LOL.
I remember our headmaster finding one of us with a copy ( think it was my fault for being the first to show it at school)

He called a full school assembly and went berserk.
He said ‘ if you get one... burn it!’

Good ol’ Viz
Old 03-25-2020, 08:48 AM
  # 457 (permalink)  

What a time we are in.
Listening to our Prime Minister announce the relief package. It helps very little, only 2 grand a month. Hopefully it can help some.
Dh is an essential worker, I get my salary from council, but we had to defer the payments on the business loans for now. The business is me and the kids and one groom. We laid everyone else off.
However we have our home, our health and the teachers strike, looks like it might be over. So *if* the kids get back, they will not be interrupted by rotating strikes.

Everyone is blowing coats, dogs and horses! Myself and one of my daughters have asthma and bad allergies. We both were sick all weekend. Still catchy breath if you know what that means, not feeling I am drawing fully, but oxygen saturation is probably fine. Plus a couple mares are in heat, so I find the change in scent in their urine sets me off. Spring fever lol.

Hoping everyone stays safe and sane. What a time to have canceled Netflix lol, I didn't feel we were using it and with Spring coming, we didn't need it. It is costing me a fortune in book downloads. Not everything is available through the library and my one kid reads 100 pages an hour... Between dinner and bedtime she reads a whole book. Oh well!
Old 03-25-2020, 08:58 AM
  # 458 (permalink)  

These sure are difficult times MyLittleHorsie. So many people impacted financially. Hopes, dreams.

Sorry you are dealing with asthma and yes, I understand "catchy breath." Good oxygen saturation is ok though.

It was heartening to read that your daughter reads books. I'm hoping books are going to become the retro craze kids find in other stuff of our/my generation. Books just feel good. Warm. Screens are so cold, unforgiving.

Stay safe MyLittleHorsie.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:07 AM
  # 459 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mera, I'm so glad to hear things are beginning to slow down in Italy.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:18 PM
  # 460 (permalink)  

Oh yes and I got a phone call from my elderly dad today, who was strolling through town saying it's a lovely day but there's not many people about. Yes because there's a national lock down you maniac, get back inside. With some other strong words.

That and a picture on the news of people packed like sardines on the trains and I despair sometimes...