Notices

Coronavirus

Old 03-25-2020, 07:02 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
You are putting words in my mouth. I am not intentionally trying to get it. I live in a major city and use the subway. I have been self-isolating and taking all precautions. It is inevitable. I've had enough of your self-righteous comments Hawkeye. Are accusing me of being lazy? I am only two weeks sober! Barely hanging on.

Take your advice elsewhere
Sorry I offended you WL.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:35 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Hawkeye - I forgot to include simple courtesy

D
Old 03-25-2020, 07:51 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Dare I say it, but is there an upside to this wu-flu pandemic?

the streets are far more peacful here. Everyone agrees, peaceful and quiet. It hasn't fully hit here yet, but the atmosphere has changed.

People are more optimistic than dreadful here, and that's the truth of it. Its totally peaceful about.

Also, seen a badger casually crossing the road the other evening. I stopped to have a convo with him but he must have been in a hurry

Best wishes all
Old 03-25-2020, 07:59 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not dismissing the job losses and uncertainty and bald fear, but there are definitely upsides.

Turns out people can work from home. Turns out we can raise the dole amount, and give me to those in need, and turns out a lot of our worries don't matter as much right now.

I'd like to see some figures after this how much better things got climate wise with fewer cars on the road etc too.

Families are coming together. People are driven to help others. The ugly panicking is beginning to give way to a stern resolve to get through this.

I expect to see a lot of work for those who want it too, starting now with shelf stacking, making of masks, rubber gloves, respirators and what ever else we need right now.....and a lot of rebuilding work after the virus is gone.

D
Old 03-25-2020, 08:08 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Concerned about how people are licking, coughing, and
purposely fondling grocery items and setting them back for others all while filming and posting the stunt online.

We have been wiping down all items as we bring them in the house. Did it before this made the news. Its lucky we had a lot of cleaners at home also because they are still mostly unavailable where I live.

Forgive me if the above has already been mentioned. This topic has a lot more posts since I last checked in.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:35 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

My son and I were talking about how we don't see as many butterflies anymore. Not even the orange ones with black spots. I lamented not having seen any of the blue ones for a while, and yesterday I saw a blue one. Maybe the insects aren't as scared anymore and they're coming out of hiding. 🦋
Old 03-25-2020, 09:20 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Really glad to see this thread
Old 03-25-2020, 10:09 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
My son and I were talking about how we don't see as many butterflies anymore. Not even the orange ones with black spots. I lamented not having seen any of the blue ones for a while, and yesterday I saw a blue one. Maybe the insects aren't as scared anymore and they're coming out of hiding. 🦋
Blue butterflies are statistically proven to only come around people who are in good spirits... I COMPLETELY made that up BTW. 🙃
Old 03-25-2020, 10:29 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
The best estimates for a proven vaccine is 1 year at least. I expect to be infected with Coronavirus before a vaccine become available. I prefer to get it sooner rather than later. I will most likely experience mild symptoms and be told to quarantine myself after which I recover and have immunity. Of course, there is no guarantee that I won't have more severe symptoms, but I want to get it out of the way.

Anyone else anticipating being infected?
that's what the "poor me" drunk would say during this.. instead.. how's about trying to do everything in our power to not catch/spread it...then there's no excuse.. I had to get far away from the "poor me" mentality and own my stuff with my addictions/life so,why treat this any different? Childhood stuff,work/unemployment stuff.. ECT... personal accountability..is where I like to be.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:53 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
4 mashed bananas (ripe ones, riper the better)
1tsp Cinnamon
1tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup of melted coconut oil
1/4 cup of honey
1.5 cups of wholemeal flour
Break up some dark chocolate (I used half dark choc and half orange dark chocolate)

Throw it all in a bowl and just mix up!

Bake on 350 (175 for us UK peeps) for 50-60 mins or until the centre cooked then put on a cooling rack.

I’ve eaten half of the loaf already!! Have fun baking people 😬
Thanks!!!
Old 03-25-2020, 10:59 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
It's 4am here and while I've been sleeping well these past two wks (weird, right?) tonight I couldn't. so I just learned from the early news that our Congress passed a $2T (yes, trillion) bail out/assistance bill. Of course it will be all over the news today and we'll learn what the key points actually mean, but since y'all know I'm in the restaurant business, after the "rush checks to citizens" part as a kind of replacement pay (what that means exactly, who knows?), what caught my eye was the subsidies for key industries. What meets the definition of "key"? I think odds might be tragically against the restaurant world.

I also can't stand hearing "open for business by Easter." There's no way that the US will be at that point in a few wks when all 50 states are affected, cases and death counts where they are- how can the curve be flattened (enough?) to reopen? While it's true that NYC is the ultimate example (the entire state, as far as a state goes) of obscene outbreak and you have lots of spots across the country that have minimal effect, can we really pinpoint what can be confined/quarantined and what can be "reopened for business/life?"

To me, any rush to think we are thru this is puts us at a risk of the flu epidemic of 1918, or worse.
August, I really think our whole country needs to be following the lockdown orders, we are in CA, but I worry other places aren’t, and like you, I do not worry about the possibility of opening things around Easter. I think summer is a more likely timeline.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:18 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Spacegoat View Post
Dare I say it, but is there an upside to this wu-flu pandemic?

the streets are far more peacful here. Everyone agrees, peaceful and quiet. It hasn't fully hit here yet, but the atmosphere has changed.

People are more optimistic than dreadful here, and that's the truth of it. Its totally peaceful about.

Also, seen a badger casually crossing the road the other evening. I stopped to have a convo with him but he must have been in a hurry

Best wishes all
Carbon emissions have also gone down world wide especially in China. Now if only we can track down the Army of the 12 Monkeys we can find out the true origin of the virus and how to stop it!
Old 03-26-2020, 02:14 AM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Everyday feels like Groundhog day!? Reminds me of when I was drinking, I'd wake up after a bender for a few days and find out it's the middle of the week! My head and mood are up and down dramatically the last few days
Old 03-26-2020, 02:40 AM
  # 494 (permalink)  

I have even noticed that more squirrels are showing up outside of my house. I feed one of them by hand and the other one just eats at a distance but they are the same two regulars that show up every day to eat their pistachios, peanuts, sunflower seeds, pecans, almonds, and whatever other nuts or seeds I give them. But I noticed 3 other squirrels showing up too. Maybe the two regulars told them about the food here so their squirrel friends came over to eat too.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:33 AM
  # 495 (permalink)  

While posters are seeing things they've not seen for ages such as butterflies and badgers I'm puzzled by why I'm seeing less birds. Usually there's quite a few birds of different species flying around the housing estate where I live but in the last few days I've hardly seen any. I'm curious about where they've all gone.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:03 AM
  # 496 (permalink)  

If you're talking about less jackdoors, crows and seagulls, I guess it's probably because there's less takeaway food to scavenge? We're usually swamped with seagulls, 50 miles from the sea the cheeky beggars, but I haven't seen many recently.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:11 AM
  # 497 (permalink)  

I feed the birds outside of my house every day and there are quite a few of them. They only seem to come around at certain parts of the day. I put bird seed out for them to eat.

Mostly a lot of dove, blue jays, cardinals, finches, and a lot of other birds here. But a lot of dove. Or pigeons as they are also called. Sometimes there are upwards of 30 or more dove eating all at once.

And of course my squirrels eat with them too.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:40 AM
  # 498 (permalink)  
Administrator

we continue discussion here:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-2-a.html (Coronavirus (COVID 19) Thread part 2)

D