Notices

The itching thing

Old 02-25-2020, 05:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The itching thing

I have been a binge drinker for many years, stopped, started, stopped. Now after losing a good job last year i really want to do this, since i have a great job offer waiting for me.

First 5 days: sweating, insomnia, depressions, shakiness. Drank a lot of herbal tea and took vitamin supplements.

5-10 days: sweating ceased slowly, shakiness got better. Appetite came back. Changed food to no salt and sugar, salads and dark bread only. Still tea and supplements.

10-17: now. Here it started. I think clearly. No shakes. No sweat. But I felt my toes numb and the itch overwhelmed me. It started me scratching my belly while watching TV and i noticed later i scratched away a mole.
Then it started in waves all over the body. Belly, back, neck. Random places. But also all my moles started itching one by one. It stops from time to time, then it comes back.

After taking footbaths and massage once a day my numbness got better but the itching waves come and go. I was drinking litlres of nettle tea the last days to detox but maybe thats a reason? I didnt change washing powder or shower gels.

Did someone experience this? How long does it last?
Old 02-25-2020, 06:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job on getting sober. Early days especially - hard in a lot of ways! Yes, I went thru everything you described including some itching. Literal and emotional, as in this incredible "restlessness" that lots of us go thru.

Self care and most importantly not drinking is the way to go. It was the only way to keep getting better even tho it's not a linear path.

Glad you are here.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the nice welcome. I gonna make this. I lost too much in the past and i feel like waking up now.

Just after the numbness and itching i did a lot of googling medical things and the wide are of causes for itching/itching on moles made me go crazy. This symptoms range from Leukaemia over Skin cancer to liver cirrhosis.

This stressed me a lot. Doesnt help. I hope its something more people experienced and its the normal detox process.

I quit herbal teas especially nettles and the extreme spicy food (i read that spicy food/chili helps with inflames and detox) to make sure its not diet induced. Now pure water, vitamins and salad/rice/veggies, at times dark bread with white chicken meat. I hope it gets better. Today another mole started itching and i am a scared puppy right now.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't know what to say about the itching but

welcome and congrats on 17 days!
Old 02-25-2020, 07:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Grues0me, welcome! So happy to see you here. It sounds like you have made strides to feel better, health wise. Do you have a plan for when the craving to drink strikes? I ask because it likely will, even with the best of reasons for quitting. If not, you can check out "Recovery plans" thread or online to get one in place.

As to the itching, I would suggest a visit to a doctor, if for nothing else, to ease the worry. Maybe it's nothing at all to worry about. Best to find out.

Again, welcome! This is a truly supportive community.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The itching could be some neuropathy symptoms or some sort of allergic reaction to something. Only a doc can tell you and I would get into see one if I were you. Welcome to SR and congrats on 17 days!!!
Old 02-25-2020, 07:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Congratulations on how far you've come. My only thought about the itching was if you're maybe eating or drinking too much of one thing like the nettle tea. Everything in moderation.

Your body it coping with a big change, but it's only going to get better over time. If the itching continues see a doctor and put your mind at rest. Tell him/her the full truth about your drinking.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grues0me View Post
Thanks for the nice welcome. I gonna make this. I lost too much in the past and i feel like waking up now.

Just after the numbness and itching i did a lot of googling medical things and the wide are of causes for itching/itching on moles made me go crazy. This symptoms range from Leukaemia over Skin cancer to liver cirrhosis.

This stressed me a lot. Doesnt help. I hope its something more people experienced and its the normal detox process.

I quit herbal teas especially nettles and the extreme spicy food (i read that spicy food/chili helps with inflames and detox) to make sure its not diet induced. Now pure water, vitamins and salad/rice/veggies, at times dark bread with white chicken meat. I hope it gets better. Today another mole started itching and i am a scared puppy right now.
Go see a doctor. Google (Dr. Google) isn't good for something like this. Every symptom a person could possibly have on Google leads to something serious like cancer. Go see a doctor so you aren't stressed about it.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your kind words. I tried many things at once: detox, lose water, lose weight. At the end i was drinking 3 litres of a mix nettle green ginseng tea a day. I just ate salad the last week, spiced only with balsamico but may have done the mistake spicing it with chili, peper, paprika, because i though it desinfects and improves fat burn. Then again, spicy food can cause itching...

The net is so controversal when its about whats healthy, detoxes or harms you.

Some say nettle tea helps with itching and water inlays under the skin. Other sources say too much causes itching. Some say drink milk and honey, good for liver. Then again, milk and honey has much histamin which on the other side causes itching. If its after the web, you cant eat anything anymore.

Radical stopping of sugar intake may also cause withdrawal from sugar, which means itching again.

Just sure about the vitamins, but according to my research everything else can cause some harm...so lost.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeadEast View Post
Go see a doctor. Google (Dr. Google) isn't good for something like this. Every symptom a person could possibly have on Google leads to something serious like cancer. Go see a doctor so you aren't stressed about it.
No job no health insurance right now, no doc atm.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and I'm glad you have decided to stop drinking for good.

It sounds like it might be a good idea for you to talk to your doctor about the itching and it might ease your mind.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

It makes me itch just thinking of nettles!

Congratulations on the sobriety. Keep reading and posting--it works of you work it!
Old 02-25-2020, 11:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I went through a itching phase also, after quitting drinking. It past in a week or two. From what I read it's the liver getting back in good working order. Great job getting sober, just try to keep it up. I troll here every day, and sometimes get some great insight.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kjma View Post
Grues0me, welcome! So happy to see you here. It sounds like you have made strides to feel better, health wise. Do you have a plan for when the craving to drink strikes? I ask because it likely will, even with the best of reasons for quitting. If not, you can check out "Recovery plans" thread or online to get one in place.

As to the itching, I would suggest a visit to a doctor, if for nothing else, to ease the worry. Maybe it's nothing at all to worry about. Best to find out.

Again, welcome! This is a truly supportive community.
I did often "take breaks" drinking but got back after a few weeks, when i felt healthy, strong and confident again, spoiling everything. Maybe it is boredom, i dont really know why being good makes me drink.

Right now i think of alcohol and my stomach turns around. I cant stand the thought. Also because i need a job for my health insurance, to finance my house because my savings just go a short way. I want to live again, keep this sharp mind i have again. I read again. Write other resumes. I was just a potatoe while drinking.

I guess finding a stress free work thats interesting and motivating will do a lot.

But right now i can just wait it out, hoping the itch goes away. Id feel much better in my recovery process since doctor must wait till i got a job.

On a side note: when i am busy in grocery or on the road i seem to forget and care less about the itch. Its just that when i am alone home (divorced last year) i listen too much inside my body and EVERYTHING is cancer or liver damage.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Samantha

Not sure where you live but could the itching be from dry skin from tbe cold? I know that does it for me. I also get super dehydrated and dry after drinking so if you drank a lot maybe that could be it.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

No itching experience to share but wanted to welcome you Grues0me and say congrats on nearly 3 weeks,

D
Old 02-25-2020, 02:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to have you with us, GruesOme. I'm so glad you've decided to reclaim your life & no longer be a potato.

I had itching & many other symptoms after quitting. My body was making some sort of an adjustment I guess - because everything eased up & eventually went away. Visiting Dr. Google isn't advisable. I do it too, but have needlessly terrified myself many times.

17 days is wonderful!
Old 02-25-2020, 03:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

I had the itching and thought it was toxins leaving my body. I also had rashes. Everything cleared up by the end o f the first year (I don't have dates, I just know things change and then get better!).
Old 02-25-2020, 05:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anxiousrock View Post
Not sure where you live but could the itching be from dry skin from tbe cold? I know that does it for me. I also get super dehydrated and dry after drinking so if you drank a lot maybe that could be it.
No, its cold here but i never had problems with it or dry skin. And since day one i drank 2-3 litres water a day.

The funny thing it started on a spot on the belly when the bad bad first days were over and i was recovering. Scratched under my shirt, felt a bump, scratched, opened what i think was a birthmark, but not 100% sure. Had a crust, treated it with betadine, fell off, now its an itchy pink spot. Also the rest of my upper body tickles, itches...shoulder...side...arm...neck....rinse and repeat. Plus this spot is killing me. Treating it with betadine now hoping the best. Still another birtmark itched, but its calm now. Also little red pimple-ish spots on my chest and neck.

I know i didnt shower each day when i was in my first 5-7 days. I was too shaky and had trouble standing on slippery ground.

Now i shower again every day of course but so many different things that may have caused this itch. From bad to nothing. I never had it when i tried to quit before. I had the toe numbness though but this is fading day by day with foot baths and creme.

I did an urine test from the pharmacy that could detect kidney problems and diabetes , did two stripe tests both were negative.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey there and great flipping job getting sober!
That first week is really awful and just reading your posts made me want to hug and high-five you! I did have some itchiness but it was pretty mild compared to what you described. If it helps though, a friend of mine who got sober last year experienced it as extreme as you and it went away. Try to be patient and work through it. When I would get really uncomfortable I would take an over the counter antihistamine like Benadryl. This is not medical advice, just my experience. Hang in there!