Notices

So how do you explain why you're not drinking?

Old 12-31-2019, 05:49 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Sometimes people ask me why I don't drink anymore. I always tell them "I just feel better since I stopped drinking" which of course is the truth.
Old 12-31-2019, 05:52 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Who shall I explain it too? My cat? LOL.....

I don't go places where people are drinking....
Old 12-31-2019, 05:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Most of the time there is no explanation necessary. If someone asks, I'll say, "I'm taking a break or trying to lose some weight." I prefer not to make any dramatic announcements that I've quit drinking forever. My decision not to drink is mine only. The reasons are mine only. We don't owe any excuses.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:30 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wildflower70 View Post
Who shall I explain it too? My cat? LOL.....
OMG you never argue with a cat....
6am meow why am I not fed
Because I fed you at 5:30
It wasn't enough, I am wasting away
You weigh 18 freaking pounds!

I simply leave it at no thanks, I'm good. I had a ton of reasons early on, complete waste of time coming up with them, was never asked. 🤣 Who I do get asked by, teens, the kids who ride at the farm, travel with us showing, work with me in the therapeutic programming. Those kids, I figure are sorting it out in their own minds. For them I acknowledge I did drink, but I don't anymore. Very nonchalant, not my thing anymore, waste of time and money, too old now, booze never really agreed with me. It really only is a big deal to the alcoholic. To realize our actions are so insignificant in others lives, such a blow to our ridiculous egos.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:10 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

When I was drinking, I don't remember ever asking or caring why others weren't drinking. A few times I offered a beer or drink to people who politely declined and my thought was "Ok, thats just more for me" and forgot about it.

As a binge drinker, there were other times when I was around drinkers but not drinking, even in bars as the DD. Even then I don't remember strangers asking me, let alone pressing, as to why I wasn't drinking.

Around drinking buddies in my binge drinking days, I might refuse a beer and I might get asked "you on the wagon?" and I'd just explain "just giving it a rest for a bit" and they would say "Cool" and we'd go on with the night. Around drinking buddies I think everyone has stopped at least for awhile and others go on to quit permanently so seeing regular drinkers not drinking wasn't a big thing either because it was also a part of the drinking cycle we were familiar with.

When we heard someone quit or they told us they quit, a usual reply was "yeah, I should do that too" or "I've been thinking about that but not going to do it right now"
Old 12-31-2019, 07:38 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I've reached my 60's and I'm rarely in situations where much drinking is going on.

If I am, I order a diet coke. Nobody asks and nobody cares.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:54 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
nez

Because alcohol distorts reality and my head already does a good enough job at that without any additional help. :~)
Old 12-31-2019, 04:38 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I love what AAPJ says about being allergic and breaking out in handcuffs. Lol.

By now, most people know me as a nondrinker and don’t ask/don’t care anymore. What I used to say and still sometimes say to new people who might ask is it just doesn’t agree with me anymore, which is absolutely the truth. Occasionally, someone might ask more questions and it may even be a person who is struggling or stopping and we end up having a conversation about how awful alcohol makes us feel (I.e., lack of sleep, weight gain or bloating, skin problems, etc) and how much healthier we are with out it.

Most of the time, I just say “no thanks” if it comes up. Most people don’t really care.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:15 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

It really is the biggest non event in sobriety.

I planned so many things to say because I was sure everyone would push push push on why I wasn't drinking and no one cared.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:22 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
I've reached my 60's and I'm rarely in situations where much drinking is going on.

If I am, I order a diet coke. Nobody asks and nobody cares.
I'm in my 60's also and am the same as you, other than the Diet Coke part.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:23 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I remember thinking about this a lot in my first year of sobriety, and as time wore on I realized I was the only one thinking about it. I now just say I don’t drink, and nobody questions it.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:41 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I think we overthink it.

I just say no thanks.

I did get asked only once " who doesnt drink "?? Why not ??
I laughed it off and said 'me' lol.
Then he asked why would you not drink?
I just replied " why do you want to know" ? Lol ended the convo stat ! Lol
Old 01-01-2020, 10:07 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnoozyQ View Post
I think we overthink it.
Lol
Hear, hear! For me it was getting caught up in my need to honestly disclose my past guilt and shame, apologize, and then explain the necessary details and nuances of so called recovery in alcoholism. It was almost like I felt like I had to apologize for not drinking. OK, I didn't actually take it that far. I'm just trying to create an impression about the explosion of confusion I used to feel in my brain when confronted with the question.

The actual question is about as empty as some of the crap we come up with to answer it. The person asking it may just be making conversation and not expecting you to read to him aloud from the Big Book.

I had a professor in a counseling make a point to the class one time, "If someone asks where a bathroom is, you don't have to ask him if he often has the need to urinate. Maybe he just needs to pee." I'm not sure this metaphor directly mirrors what we are talking about, but I agree; We tend to overthink that particular answer.

The whole issue is compounded because there is such a large array of possible responses to the person asking. They range from kicking him as hard as you can in his shin to getting down on our knees and begging him to forgive you. Getting into the details is optional, depending how much you want to bore the guy.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:16 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Last night I said...I quit...it was causing me health issues. I have never felt so good in my life.

mic drop.

Nothing else.

There is not a drinker on this planet that wakes up feeling better because they drank.

There is always regret, it is just masked by the addiction.....at all levels.

Amen.

Thanks.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:55 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
waking down

Sometimes I joke that I exceeded my lifetime rations before age 50.

If I want the person out of my face I tell them alcohol gives me explosive diarrhea.
Old 01-01-2020, 01:33 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zerothehero View Post
if i want the person out of my face i tell them alcohol gives me explosive diarrhea.
🤣🤣🤣😂😂
Old 01-01-2020, 02:06 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

When asked if i want a drink I just say no thanks. I rarely get asked why. Nobody cares. The very few times I have been asked why I just say i don't feel like it and leave it at that.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:06 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Here in Ireland, you're nearly thought of as some strange leper if you don't drink- trust me, the tales about alcohol/alcohol abuse here are not exaggerated.

I've gotten over the phase about making excuses for not drinking now, a simple - "No thank you, I don't drink" will suffice now. I don't owe anyone anymore of an explanation.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:26 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I’ve only told two friends the real reason I don’t drink. Generally, no one seems to notice.

I went to three Christmas parties this year, each of them offering lots of free booze, and not a single person batted an eye when I sat there drinking Perrier. (Except this one guy who pointed at my drink and drunkenly slurred something about me drawing the short straw and having to be the designated driver, or something like that. Which was funny because this was at a neighbor’s house and everyone there was just walking home. But I digress.)

But yeah, I guess it depends on where you live, but I’ve been pretty surprised at how little people seem to notice or care.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:42 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hey, melki-the vast majority of the people I encounter don't seem to care at all, and on the rare occasions when someone presses it I just say that I don't drink anymore. I don't. It's been 4 years of sobriety for me, and I never want to go back to that hell of my own making. I salute your 5 sober years and simply saying " I don't drink."