Notices

Self care and wellness....defining it for ourselves

Old 12-28-2019, 04:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Self care and wellness....defining it for ourselves

I’m meeting with a recovery coach on Tuesday to work on a wellness and self care plan.

As I explore what self care and wellness might mean for me I’m curious what others see as self care and wellness for themselves.

Please share yours if you wish.....
Old 12-28-2019, 04:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm not sure what you mean. I take vitamins and exercise. I try to eat healthy and drink enough water and get enough sleep. If I feel myself getting stressed, it's time to slow down and think about how much better shape that I am in no matter what is happening as long as I am clean and sober.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I also take vitamins and supplements. I consider it a good day if it's warm enough to walk my dog. Walking is a huge part of my wellness routine. I have a pedometer that tracks my steps and distance in miles.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

OI,
I’m quite the introvert, and when I was younger aI thought that was a defect I needed to correct. Now I understand that’s just me, so I make sure I have the quiet time I need to recharge.

I balance work demands with activities that keep me grounded. Exercise is a big part. I spend time daily reading and reflecting on life and other issues including a focus on sobriety when needed.

Life brings lots of crap that drag me out of my comfort zone. I’ve worked to identify things that keep me centered. When I find something, I cultivate it as a habit.
Hope your meeting goes well...
-bora
Old 12-28-2019, 06:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

To me its applying the same standards of love and care I unquestioningly give to my loved ones...but on myself?

I'm worthy of that TLC too.

D
Old 12-28-2019, 06:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am currently trying to come up with a wellness and self care plan as well.

For me, I want to include many aspects, such as exercise, healthy eating, supplements, sleep, reading, hobbies, financial goals, relationships, etc.

I hope you share what you learn on Tuesday.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I will share for sure!
Old 12-28-2019, 06:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For me my self care consist of using the halt method. On top of taking vitamins . lots of recovery reading . keeps me fresh. Keep filling my brain with it. So I dont give the other thinking any room .lol ✌
Old 12-28-2019, 08:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Mr

Hello,
Family, exercise, eating correctly, water, reading or posting on SR, a holiday from time to time, relaxation or meditation, gardening and generally being outdoors often enough, learning to add to the list...

How's your Sobriety and Recovery going ?
Old 12-29-2019, 09:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Self care to me is doing anything to build myself up. Be it physical, mental, spiritual. I neglect myself for others, so purposefully doing small things for my own self is necessary. The key for me is actually telling myself that I am doing xyz for me and I will benefit from xyz by _____. Trying to use the science of psychology to rewire my brain.

I have been also thinking of what I am grateful for. I need to start writing them down. Maybe a new journal will be my next purchase toward my self care.

I try to show my students a different positive image everyday as a greeting, but I cannot figure out how to upload the image here. One of the images I showed the last few weeks of the semester came from the Power of Positivity website. It says "Did you know? You can "rewire" your brain to be happy by simply recalling 3 things you're grateful for everyday for 21 days." Don't know if that is true, but it doesn't hurt to pause and show gratitude.

Hope your meeting is great. I love how this is real topic being addressed by real professionals.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Aside of physical health, mental self care is vital for me. I can gauge this in simple ways. Self care- means self respect. So keeping my home environment clean, showering, shaving, making the bed etc. If I neglect these things it can mean my depression is flaring up and I need to up my game. Also isolating- not leaving home, lack of motivation- very dangerous, can lead to increases in again, depression- can lead to complacency and relapse. If I relapse, I die. No question. This also means monitoring my mental health with my GP and psychologist.
Old 12-30-2019, 04:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I found an article I thought I'd share here since it directly relates to my post. I'll be reading it a few times before I meet with the recovery coach tomorrow to work on my plan.

https://www.mindful.org/the-five-rul...eid=bdac27c268
Old 01-03-2020, 05:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just wondering what you got out of your meeting with your recovery coach? Did you set up a plan? What did they include?
Old 01-03-2020, 05:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Walk, walk, walk. Read. Write. Get up early and enjoy the solitude. Work out hard. Eat lots of fruit and vegetables. Go to group support meetings. Sleep all you can. Walk some more. Music. Get on SR and read and support others.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great topic and thoughts! Otter, please do share.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I like this thread.

It used to be eating well, sleeping enough, and doing little things like getting my hair done.

Now it’s expanded to include enacting and enforcing my boundaries, leaving things people and situations that don’t feel healthy, and being brave enough to address things that are difficult for me.

Going to the dentist is a good example of doing something difficult that is also healthy, at least for me.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Bexxed listed some really important self-care. Get your teeth squared away. Get to the doctor for a physical. Learn to walk away from unhealthy people and situations - it doesn't need to be dramatic - just walk away in peace.