Notices

Spoil Yourself Weekend - Weekenders 22 - 25 November 2019

Old 11-27-2019, 05:00 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Kaily - hope it goes well today. Willow said it all for me so I'll just endorse her comments. Spot on what Dee said about being the person(s) our dogs think we are.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:13 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Kaily, I hope you get something sorted with the therapist. They do want to help and sometimes a bit of negotiating is a good thing.

I agree that talking things out here is a good thing too. I've gotten out a lot of angst on this forum. We all have our stuff.

I cannot shake this sinus stuff after the cold. Three weeks now. Last night I slept for 11 hours. I really don't want to take antibiotics, they mess with my whole system. Good part is I've been allowing myself to eat all the comfort foods. I bought a pumpkin pie and heavy cream and a roasted chicken. All the deliciousness, none of the work.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:39 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I hope things went well Kaily.

A couple of weeks ago as part of my local council's Alcohol Awareness Week I completed an online survey detailing my drug and alcohol consumption. Given that the strongest drug I have taken this year was a cold and flu remedy and that I have not drunk alcohol for close on five years I was surprised to get an email from them with an attachment inviting me to come along for a "non judgemental" Strategic Needs Assessment of my substance misuse.

There will be people who really need access to this kind of thing who won't be offered it due to bureaucratic incompetence. To add insult to injury they added an "s" to my surname even though my name was on the completed online survey and I have been a Council Taxpayer for ever.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:48 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

They must of heard about the Pot plants Sao.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:15 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Thinking of you and your fur baby Kaily! I lost my Ollie (kitty) at 21 years old, and Nancy at 15, their age didn’t make it any easier for me but as soon as I knew the clock was ticking I tried to give them the best final chapter I could. Will add you to my love and kindness daily meditation, much love and hugs xx
Old 11-27-2019, 01:23 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Btw I would post more but due to my relapse many of the regular weekenders stopped posting, people I DM’d didn’t acknowledge my messages and I got the impression the weekenders would be better if I ducked out. Since I stopped posting the good people have returned and the thread seems more fun lol. Not doing the poor me routine lol but don’t want to drag the thread down so I mostly read but don’t interact here anymore.

Hope to see a post from Vinny soon and hoping he is well too! xx
Old 11-27-2019, 02:29 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Hi Manta
Nice to see you

I think people come and go from SR threads for lots of different reasons but I don’t think people would generally stop posting because of any particular person. I think we all just have different stuff going on in our own lives. And sometimes people gravitate towards different threads, or just drift off altogether.
I know for myself that I gradually drifted away from all my regular SR threads and then from SR completely, and then I drank again.

I think that SR kept me grounded and vigilant against alcohol but as I posted less and read less, the AV insidiously gained ground in my psyche until I caved in and drank.
Since I resolved to stop drinking again I’ve started posting in multiple threads again.

I’m 2 weeks sober again.
This time I plan to stick around SR and stick to sobriety
Old 11-27-2019, 02:30 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I would be 99.99% certain that no one has stopped posting here because of you MantaLady.

I have seen literally hundreds of regular contributors drop away since I first posted in early 2015. Some because they were drinking I guess and I suspect others because they no longer felt they were a "Newcomer to Recovery." I still post on Newcomers because I am just as much of an alcoholic as I was on day zero and although I no longer crave alcohol I am only one drink away from picking up where I left off but other people look at things differently and I can understand that. You need have no worries on that score Manta.

A few years ago this thread once had over 1250 posts in a week, we got to over half way of Part 3!
Old 11-27-2019, 02:47 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
Btw I would post more but due to my relapse many of the regular weekenders stopped posting, people I DM’d didn’t acknowledge my messages and I got the impression the weekenders would be better if I ducked out. Since I stopped posting the good people have returned and the thread seems more fun lol. Not doing the poor me routine lol but don’t want to drag the thread down so I mostly read but don’t interact here anymore.

I understand being self conscious Manta but I don't think anyone bears you any ill-will (including me) or wants you to stop posting in Weekenders, or anywhere else

I hope you become a regular again

D
Old 11-27-2019, 02:49 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Manta- you were fine posting here- as you are now.
Old 11-27-2019, 02:58 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Willow, huge congrats on your 2 weeks. We all know how hard it is after a relapse and your 2 weeks are great. Sometimes, I think these things happen and I'm so glad you are back and have a bit of time under your belt.
Have a great day everyone!
Old 11-27-2019, 08:31 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  
Magsie

MantaLady good to see you, you’ve been missed. I always enjoy your posts.

Willow 2 weeks! Wow, brilliant.
Good post

Talking of different threads, I stayed with the same one for years and although I’m still there daily, I’ve found a niche in other threads too. I love this thread and it’s great when new SR members join us and if we help one person on the sober road it’s all worthwhile, whilst building our own sober muscles too,

New thread coming up in a few hours.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:47 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post

Hiya Manta

Absolutely wouldn’t be the case lovely. Sometimes ( from my own experience ) we become a little paranoid after we have had a slip and imagine what are people are thinking of us etc, but really, in reality I can honestly say that was in my own mind now.

They all just wanted the best for me. Also, a lot of people come and go from threads often. I know me, myself, I flit in out out of pages here, from games to poetry , to helping newbies.
There is just so much to see here.

Andddddddd I’m a shocker for answering DMs .
I might find them 3 months later.

The thing is, you’re back, we are all thrilled to have you here, so relax, enjoy and you’re one of us ;-)

Those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind xxx

Old 11-27-2019, 10:01 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Morning all,

Thanks once again for all the kind words and support. It truly does help and I am so grateful.

Manta I am sure you have it so wrong. I often think along those lines too, not because of relapse but because I always seem to have some drama going on and think I must get on everybody's nerves. I feel like the needy one. I guess I am but I truly do not have anyone IRL to talk to.
It would be a sad thing if people on a recovery forum rejected people when they slipped and needed support the most.
Thank you for telling me about Ollie and Nancy, your right being old doesn't make it any easier. Matilda has been getting more treats than she should from the age of 15 as I thought then her time then was limited and luckily here we are nearly four years later. I am hoping for another four...

Willow I am so pleased you are getting your momentum back. As soon as I see your name I think of that picture of the beach .

Sao going back to something you said the other day about winning an award for charity for recycling well etc. I mean't to ask at the time but how did they know, did they go down your bins to check? I have a curious mind.

My therapist was kind yesterday but basically my choices are to go back to the group or go on to a waiting list for one to one with a minimum waiting time of 18 months. We spoke for an hour but I guess she can only offer what she can. I am not sure what I am going to do yet. So actually I am still stuck.

Having bought a lottery ticket online last night I am eagerly awaiting a you have won email. Got my hopes up once, the email came you have won..a lucky dip!

Happy Thursday
Old 11-27-2019, 11:46 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post

Sao going back to something you said the other day about winning an award for charity for recycling well etc. I mean't to ask at the time but how did they know, did they go down your bins to check? I have a curious mind.
If you join the scheme the bins have a bar code type thing put on them that gets scanned when the waste is collected and if there is no waste is does not get scanned/counted.

I'm sorry there was not much progress with the therapist meeting. I can only suggest that you hang in there with the group meetings but not commit to them emotionally in order to avoid any distress and in the meantime keep letting them know that they are not helping.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:00 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  
Administrator

Can you keep doing the group therapy but also get on the one to one waiting list Kaily?

D
Old 11-28-2019, 01:09 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  
Magsie

New thread begins

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...er-2019-a.html (Happy Thanksgiving Weekend - Weekenders 29 November - 02 December 2019)