Notices

Spoil Yourself Weekend - Weekenders 22 - 25 November 2019

Old 11-24-2019, 10:52 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Thanks again everyone. I am so grateful for the compassion and good ideas you have all offered to help get me over this slump.

Mags I would love to see some sunshine I really would. Nothing too hot, just nicely warm would be perfect. I actually have a light box but I don't find it makes any difference.

This alcoholism is a complicated mind mess up. I want to drink so bad at times and actually can as nothing or no one is stopping me except me. Its almost funny if it wasn't so serious.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:38 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

This weekend I spoiled myself with good food, friends, rest and lots of exercise. Tomorrow is another 2 af weeks for me. The two week mark always begins to be a light of hope for me.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:31 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

PJ that would have freaked me out too. It’s good to see you.

Beautiful pictures of the woods Kaily. I’ve just started walking again, 3 days in a row now, and I had forgotten how good it is for the soul ❤️ My legs are complaining a bit lol but I’m going for a walk again soon, after coffee

Well done on 2 weeks Mariposa, I agree, the 2 week mark is a light of hope. Even 1 week was for me, and 10 days. In fact every milestone helps bring a sense of achievement.

I’m on day 12 again today, and feeling positive. It’s funny, this time is different. Every other time I’ve tried to stop drinking in the past, including when I managed to clock up more than a year (and I’d had so many day 1’s before that I’d lost count), they were always on a Monday. Most of them only lasted a few days, often only till 5pm Monday afternoon, or perhaps Thursday or Friday at best. But this time I stopped mid week, after Wednesday drinking. Day one on a Thursday was previously unheard of for me, I was so used to starting again on a Monday. This time I just decided mid week, enough is enough. And I stopped. Planning on it sticking this time.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:02 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Wonderful weekend, got everything done that needed to be done and still have 5 hours or so before bedtime. I remember a time where nothing got done, I'd have anxiety about getting myself up at 5 am to go to work.

Have a busy three day work week and most of the guys will be hungover (hate to say) tomorrow morning and struggle for days. I'll stick to my 135oz of water today and play it against their 216oz plus of beer, see who feels the best in the morning.

Monday mornings are now great, loud radio music, stop and get breakfast, get to work. The guys can't stand Monday morning carpool.

Old 11-24-2019, 04:44 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

I'm in for the night here on a beautiful crystal clear Sunday night in the PNW. I had a take out fried chicken dinner with mashed potatoes and gravy and cole slaw and a huge dinner roll. It was so good. Bought myself a nice sweater. A good day.

No drinks were even considered. Didn't even think about it in any way other than when I'm on here.

Those of you in early days, keep going. You'll never ever regret NOT drinking.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:16 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Winnipeg Blue Bombers bring home the Gray Cup after a 29 year drought!

Kaily, I don't know anything about this but I wonder if there might be online therapy options at a cheaper rate? Also, I wonder if you've any social services in the UK to help you navigate health system and advocate for you?
Old 11-24-2019, 08:20 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

I made dinner, did laundry and watched an old movie with my husband. I feel at peace even though my home life isn’t perfect, it’s less chaos. I got a huge medical bill today, not fun. I’m not sure of legally what my rights are not to end up in collections about the bill.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:13 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

mariposa I’m sorry you got a big medical bill. I’ve heard SR members talk about asking to pay in instalments. Would this be a possibility for you?

Dragon, wow, Blue Bombers did well.

joe801, it’s a great feeling, waking up and going to work sober!

I’m going to shop when it opens for a few foodstuffs. It’s so miserable out there though, I have to force myself to go. Otherwise I’d hibernate all winter.

Whatever the weather though, it’s going to be a sober one.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:40 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I'm pleased you survived your camping trip PJ, at least you now know what is required. That must have been unnerving knowing about your brother.

Well done Joe801.

A grey Monday morning but the commute in to work - crowded, noisy, - is always better when not hungover .
Old 11-25-2019, 12:51 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Sao- when I awoke from the coma my living bro (who admitted later he was only comfortable being with me when I was unconscious) told me I was the most expensive patient in the state- that I was in a research project for a new dressing, then that my (now) ex and sons did not want anything to do with me (thus he was NOK) and I had best leave them alone, then that I had died three times and very,very nearly had my right arm amputated, then he told me our dad had died, and I was in the same bed dead bro died in. My family of origin has issues.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:34 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

That sounds awful PJ. I don’t understand how some people can be so tactless and just downright mean I know I’m overly sensitive sometimes but even tough, thick skinned people would be reeling after that
Old 11-25-2019, 04:04 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Well Peej, your a super star, your rocketing from a bad place and I wish you all the peace and serenity you so deserve. Many of us look up to you and we are lucky to have you here. Keep on keeping on...
Old 11-25-2019, 05:53 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

PJ you are blossoming now after very bleak times. You keep on doing the next right thing as you always do.

Grey and cloudy here with patchy rain but mild 14 degrees, ha ha listening to the weather forecast as I type. Been food shopping, no chocolate or alcohol just healthy stuff and some luxurious bubble bath ~ Passion flower with Almond Milk. Actually is was only 95p so probably not that posh!

Hoping everyone is well and happy.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:52 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

I'm not a big chocolate fan. I do have a weakness for homemade smoothies with Greek yogurt and walnuts and flax meal. That and the occasional ice cream.

I woke up at 3AM. Right now I'm making spaghetti sauce and I'll have that for breakfast.

Latest in the local gorilla blog: Update on Uzumma's Pregnancy

...and Preparing for a Gorilla Birth

I'm pretty excited. Uzumma is so calm right now, growing a baby.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:52 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Happy Monday weekenders. hope everyone made it safely through.

anyone else watching His Dark Materials ? I think the BBC are doing a good job of the adaption. hooray for Armoured Bears!
Old 11-25-2019, 08:12 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  
Magsie

Thanks for the update on Uzumma mama gorilla. I just had a quick peek at the link and her eyes look like they’re seeing into your soul.

I see the eagles have now timers on for when the eggs are due to be hatched. Exciting stuff.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:15 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Watching eggs incubate is right up there on the "exciting" scale, Mags.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:45 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  
saoutchik

PhoenixJ no matter happened before you got sober you have more than made up for it since. I am totally in awe at the progress you have made in the last few years. I get the impression that there are people in Adelaide who know you in person and feel the same way even if they are not family members.

Sending positive vibes to Uzumma, exciting times.

I've been watching His Dark Materials Andy, it is very good. I believe they may have used Strawberry Hill House for some of the interior shots.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strawberry_Hill_House

These small photos do not do them justice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20191125_164350.jpg (72.2 KB, 40 views)
Old 11-25-2019, 09:05 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

It made me feel a little broody looking at the gorilla link. I think my hormones are a bit off kilter . Might explain my mood swings.

Spaghetti Sauce for breakfast?

Strawberry Hill House looks like an impressive place.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:23 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Wow, PJ, what a story. So glad you are still here with us. You are definitely an inspiration.

Kaily - I can't really add much to what others have already said - I hope you can sort out the therapy situation - maybe tell them it's causing you so much anxiety that you feel shaky in your sobriety? Maybe that will get their attention. Don't know.

I had a very busy weekend again - not much time for pampering. Actually, no time. The closest I came was having a tiny little serving of ice cream yesterday - like maybe 8 bites. It's OK - I will have some days off coming up and might squeeze in a pedicure somewhere in there.

Thanksgiving will keep me busy until Friday - my daughter is having it at her house but I'm making a bunch of the food at my house. We are in line for the first snow storm of the season tomorrow night - over 6 inches, it sounds like. Here we go.