Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Auto Pilot for the (AV)Addictive Voice - Weekenders 15 - 18 November 2019

Notices

Auto Pilot for the (AV)Addictive Voice - Weekenders 15 - 18 November 2019

Old 11-17-2019, 03:13 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
That's me in the first pic - me in February 2016. Somehow I had contrived to get a centre parting, I have unruly hair that has a mind of it's own.
You look nothing like the Alice Cooper photo, I mean, in that photo you looked like you had a longer nose, but your nose isn't particularly long. At least you're better looking than Alice lol

I love to see what people look like, I should really put up an album of my own with a photo of me
Old 11-17-2019, 03:22 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Well I was tired and sleepy all yesterday and didn't do much, then I didn't sleep much last night. I'm babysitting today so maybe that'll tire me out. I think that's why I was tired on Saturday, Friday night I was throwing a six year old around which she loves but she's getting heavier and I'm still very unfit. So it just shattered me.
One and a half year old baby brother isn't so heavy but even throwing him about tires me out quickly.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:44 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by andyh View Post
Sao - I just started watching Spiral. I tried it without subtitles for the first few episodes, but my French isn't quite up to it so I'm going to have to start again with the subs.
Me too but it is similar to The Wire* in as much as there is slang and sometimes people mutter things or shorten words (dac rather than d'accord) like they do in real life and my French is not up to it either. You're in for a treat though, best thing on TV.

*I had the subtitles on for that too.

Thanks harriet, the AC makeup and wig did its job I guess. All those photos were taken in early February which is why there are so few tourists. It was an amazingly beautiful sunny day in west Wales that day, I was really lucky.

My laptop keyboard is working although the space bar jumps from time to time. All hail WD40, the answer to most of life's problems.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:44 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Back from a very long walk. Alfie disappeared off after some deer. Little sod was gone over 10 minutes into the depth of the forest. Anyway happy to report he returned safely and no deer were harmed. Luckily he is far too small, just tries his luck.

Strawberry Pond in the middle of the forest.

Old 11-17-2019, 05:53 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Back from a very long walk. Alfie disappeared off after some deer. Little sod was gone over 10 minutes into the depth of the forest. Anyway happy to report he returned safely and no deer were harmed. Luckily he is far too small, just tries his luck.

Strawberry Pond in the middle of the forest.

That looks like a beautiful place to just sit and relax for awhile.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:29 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

I'm very glad you took that walk, Kaily. What a beautiful spot. Nature is very healing. I *have* to go out. Yesterday at the zoo I noticed 15 different types of fallen leaves on one spot of the trail. Extraordinary. So many different sizes, shapes and colors.

All this talk of keyboards. I gave up on laptops finally. Now I'm back to good old trusty desktops, they last longer and I have two backup thrift store keyboards. Right now my favorite keyboard has dayglow keys (they actually glow in the dark if I get them "charged" first) and huge letters. No, I'm not that old. Okay, well I am, but it's so I can leave the lights dim. I'm thinking of buying a keyboard that is backlit since I am up at o'dark o'clock every day and because they look cool.

Eagle Update - there are now two eggs, second one laid a little over 12 hours ago. Let the adventure begin.

image of the two eggs: https://forum.hancockwildlife.org/do...997d&mode=view
Old 11-17-2019, 06:51 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

SR has been a consistent tool in my toolbox. As of late, I try to pop in more often and not just when I'm miffed about something and need to re-center. Yesterday morning I had a row with my Mother and hung up on her because her negativity is soooooo toxic and it was in regards to my son buying his first car. I was sad because I wasn't there. One of the side effects of moving out of state. I felt like I pulled it together.....and then this morning I got miffed at my husband who flat out said no to getting a cat. I lost my Bandit (dog) in July. I've been "thinking" a cat might be more suitable for our now lifestyle and my work. He thinks indoor cats are stinky. I lived in a small condo so I know he thought that but we now have a huge (for us) house. It's just two days in a row of blah and I'm not good with it. Thank you for letting me vent
Old 11-17-2019, 08:42 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Bimini, That eagles nest is very cool. Being able to watch the eggs become babies is really wild.
Soberclover, glad to see that you are here venting and not relieving your stress in a less positive way.

The reason I love this place is it never closes.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:10 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Talking of Eagles. We have a Chilean Grey Eagle that keeps being sighted locally. The poor bird was being kept in captivity and escaped. He has been loose over 10 weeks now and isn't doing very well. He is becoming weak, unless he is recaptured I don't think he will survive the winter.

Yes Bim I love nature. I do walk everyday, today was more like a hike. Good for the soul.

Too cold to sit and relax Anotherexcuse but a nice idea.

Sorry for your difficulties SoberClover. I'm sure husbands should just say yes without question.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:30 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Hey guys, great stuff this weekend.

I know the fish discussion was a few days ago but I wanted to weigh in - Monkfish is known as the poor man's lobster, because it's texture and flavor are kinda similar to a lobster's. Also....I love Barramundi. It's expensive but my mom's partner Ed and I like to use it when we cook together.

Kaily, I hope you are feeling a little bit better. I think the plan you outlined in your earlier post is a good one. Sometimes, just like with quitting drinking, we have to do whatever it takes to feel better. You don't *have* to feel miserable, and I really hope something works for you. As Bim said, the nature is definitely healing.

Speaking of Bim - I'm living for the eagles honestly. They're so cool. I've been keeping an eye on ours too although I don't think that we have any eggs.

Right now, everything is moving right along. I finally finished my personal statement for my master's application and just need the letters of recommendation in order to apply. Goal is to get everything in before Thanksgiving so then I can just enjoy the holiday. It's becoming more real every day and that's wild.

No real thoughts of drinking lately, which is nice. The stupid part of my brain has been quiet, ever since that last awful push it gave me back at the end of October. I'm relieved but wary, as always.

Happy Sunday everyone.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:13 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good luck with the Masters application dpac - what is it in?

That does look like a fine spot Kaily, I'm sure it was chilly though. I hope Alfie has got over the disappointed of not catching any deer.

This is Kojey Radical or Adu Amponsah as his mum probably still calls him. I post this one because he is from my postcode but he is pretty good too although he has not inspired me to buy an orange suit, I'm the wrong demographic for one of them.
https://youtu.be/QzNGAs_5-l4

Old 11-17-2019, 07:12 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dpac414 View Post
Hey guys, great stuff this weekend.

Right now, everything is moving right along. I finally finished my personal statement for my master's application and just need the letters of recommendation in order to apply. Goal is to get everything in before Thanksgiving so then I can just enjoy the holiday. It's becoming more real every day and that's wild.

That is awesome! Good luck.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:43 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Magsie

Bim, good to see the eggs are doing well....now they’ve just gotta keep their eyes open for pesky predators.

Kaily, it looks beautiful in the forest, it’s great to have an escape place to walk round. Sounds like Alfie had a blast too. I hope the loose eagle can be rescued, poor thing.

Dpac, all the best on your masters.

SoberClover, sometimes it’s a good idea to cut the conversation if it’s not going well. I hope your husband comes round to you having a cat, they’re not smelly at all. Cute, loveable little things.....unless you get a Ginger! They’re crazy, I know this.

Vinny, thinking of you.

Had an early night and all the confusion with my says I can honestly say, it’s Monday today. Yaaay.

Sober weekends Rock, even if the days do get intermingled.

Have a great sober Monday
Old 11-17-2019, 11:50 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

I am a stress head again this morning. Sorry gotta get it out.

My Dad has been poorly over a week now but is refusing to see a Dr. He is hardly eating, in pain and generally very unwell. Being as he has a very weak heart this is extremely worrying. He more or less told me to leave when I visited Saturday. He has turned his phone off.

Also Alfie is injured. One of his claws is twisted, it will need to be removed by the vet this morning. He is so scared of the vet that he has to be sedated even to be looked at. This is due to a vet removing another claw (nail) that was damaged without any anaesthetic a few years ago. The equivalent of us having a fingernail removed. It was barbaric, I won't go into details. That vet has since been forced into retirement, should of been prison in my opinion.

So what to do first Dad or dog.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:19 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for all that Kaily.

Honestly the easiest of the two sounds like the dog.

good luck - and best wishes, sincerely, that you can get through to your dad...

D
Old 11-18-2019, 01:23 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Magsie

Kaily all the best with Alfie at the vets
Is it worth having a word with the doc about your dad. See if they have any suggestions.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:27 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Prayers, Kaily
Old 11-18-2019, 03:01 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Back from the vets who decided that Alfie's nail is so near to coming off that we should leave it a few days and hope that it falls off by itself. If not he will have to go in and have it removed. Bless him he was so distressed and absolutely shaking.

My Dad eventually turned his phone on. He is still very poorly but refusing help. He is going back to bed and turning phone off again. I think it might be his kidneys which I told him but to no avail. Mags I don't think I can talk to the Dr without his permission.

Anyway at least the sun is shining.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:03 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Sorry Kaily, I've lost the post I was writing to you , this silly laptop flips around sometimes and goes to a different page.

Sending you prayers and positive thoughts
Sorry for all the stress you're having and I agree, that vet should be in prison (having his fingernails pulled out).
Old 11-18-2019, 03:08 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

I was just thinking about the talk about different types of fish and how some are more expensive than others. I used to think nothing of buying two bottles of cheap wine but even cheap at Aldi its nearly 4 pounds. I could easily buy a load of Trout or whatever and have it as often as I liked with that money!