Notices

Dealing with rejection and and hurt and anger...

Old 08-31-2019, 04:59 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

hi shift....i just read this thread and I hope you are doing ok? Please check in. We care about you.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:37 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Hi Shift,

I know the prospect of leaving your safe haven to face the court was extremely nerve-wracking for you. Please do let us in and tell us what's going on - we care about you.

O
Old 09-01-2019, 03:05 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Post Thanks for keeping the thread going.

It is good to be amongst caring people.

I have shared my experiences in another thread - now I have posted more than 25 times I hope I can succesfully link it.

I aim to keep it going with a daily comment

Hoping you are not "banged up", as we say here in England, among those who mix with folk in trouble with the courts, Melissa (ShiftHappens)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ml#post7259357
Old 09-01-2019, 03:12 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know much about OA or those kinds of addictions Andrew which is why I haven't posted in your thread - I'm reticent to go where I have no experience - but I have read it.

I know that SR helped me turn my life around with my addictions and I know we can help you too.

If Shift is reading, I really hope you'll update us soon

D
Old 09-01-2019, 03:36 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Question

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I don't know much about OA or those kinds of addictions Andrew which is why I haven't posted in your thread - I'm reticent to go where I have no experience - but I have read it.

I know that SR helped me turn my life around with my addictions and I know we can help you too.

If Shift is reading, I really hope you'll update us soon

D
Err - SR -- Dee? -- Straight Railways - no - single roads - no - I give up!

Thanks for your support - I am multi addicted and as OA grew from GA which grew from AA in Los Angeles in the late 1950s I really do believe recovery in all the other aspects that do not involve specificallysurrendering from the prime substance/ behaviour is very similar with what those folks first got established at Akron in 1935.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:12 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Administrator

SR = Sober Recovery

D
Old 09-01-2019, 04:21 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
SR = Sober Recovery

D
Silly me!
Old 09-01-2019, 06:38 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

ShiftHappens, how are you doing?

We care about you and want the best for you. I hope all is well.
Old 09-01-2019, 08:22 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Hurts to be left in dark about someone u care about
Old 09-02-2019, 04:25 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Hi Shift, thinking about you as I do every day. Hoping that you check in soon.

O
Old 09-02-2019, 05:47 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hoping all is well. Check in when you can.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:19 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Checking in - nothing else to add right now.

Andrew from Essex, England, UK 16.16 hours London Time Tuesday 3rd September 2019.

I hope the other contributors here also stay in touch - so that either we are ready to have an active thread when ShiftHappens returns or we develop our own supportive exchanges.

Comments requested
Old 09-03-2019, 02:53 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Administrator

We do pretty well at keeping threads alive Andrew - no worries there.

D
Old 09-04-2019, 07:43 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

So...ShiftHappens...

I'm hoping that you didn't end up being detained on Friday.

I'm also hoping you didn't go home and start drinking. If you did go home and start drinking, come on back and start again on this sober thing. It's the only way to sort out future legal issues and other life things. My life is much more stable in every way when I'm not drinking but if you did start drinking or took some pills, there's no time like right now to try to get well again.

Let us know how you are doing.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:28 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
not a greeter

It’s been over a week since your last post.

I too hope you weren’t detained after court. Also hoping you didn’t start drinking and taking pills again. You mentioned feeling like going to the ER last Thursday before your court date. I’m really hoping you did that after your appearance and that’s why you’ve been MIA .
Old 09-06-2019, 07:56 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

That's a good hope, gypsytears. 😊

Shift, looking forward to hearing from you.

O
Old 09-06-2019, 11:52 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

She might have got a stint in prison. The system in the US is utterly perverse, it's profit motive. Hopefully she gets back here in one piece.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:15 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Hope you’re doing well Shift. And if you get jail time or not, or fines or probation or whatever, it doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things. No matter what you are sentenced to it is not a good enough reason to use. Using will only make things worse and likely end you up in more trouble.

I feel qualified to speak this because just this year I’ve served time in two states. I’m on probation for three years, I don’t have a drivers license, I do court ordered counseling three times a week, I do community service every weekend and any free time I have is filled up by talking with my sponsor and either attending AA meetings or spending time with my children...and I could go on about my legal troubles. But the cops didn’t just throw me in jail because they were bored. The judge wasn’t being a jerk when they locked me up. It was my own actions. It sounds like you messed up too and it’s time to pay the piper. That being said, I swear to God that I am grateful that the legal system was hard on me. Between that and my failing health and relationships, it was exactly what I needed for me to surrender.

People here care about you. Some folks like me speak very bluntly, but dang it, we want the best for you and we’re all trying to reach and support you any way we can.

So whatever happens, you can make it through it. No excuses to use. No excuses. We’re going to be here to hear your troubles and do what we can to stand behind you, but it is all for not if you don’t do some work to get yourself right. I work my butt off every day, and something very strange has happened, and I have come to believe it is God working on my behalf, but I enjoy all of the work. I love my sponsor. I crave meetings. I enjoy volunteering. My point in saying this is that if you would have told me a year ago that I would enjoy these activities I would have laughed hysterically and took a slug off of my vodka. Things change. And if we’re willing to do some work, they change for the better.

Looking forward to you checking in soon. God bless you.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:24 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreshStartOk View Post
She might have got a stint in prison. The system in the US is utterly perverse, it's profit motive. Hopefully she gets back here in one piece.
It's always possible that she got some jail time, but I seriously doubt it, especially for a loaf of bread. If all the people that shoplifted got jail time, more prisons would have to be built. Misdeamoners (sp) don't usually put people in jail unless they are repeat offenders. There was such a thing as debtors prison, but that was a very long time ago. The US prison system is a mess, but I don't think its gone that far.
Hopefully, we will hear from her soon. I'm worried too. John
Old 09-06-2019, 02:45 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
It's always possible that she got some jail time, but I seriously doubt it, especially for a loaf of bread. If all the people that shoplifted got jail time, more prisons would have to be built. Misdeamoners (sp) don't usually put people in jail unless they are repeat offenders. There was such a thing as debtors prison, but that was a very long time ago. The US prison system is a mess, but I don't think its gone that far.
Hopefully, we will hear from her soon. I'm worried too. John
In an earlier post she referred to the judge giving her a shot at probation “again”. I get this sense this is not her first rodeo. And it seems some people act like jail is a death sentence. Jail was quite helpful for me, my will to never end up in jail again does wonders for my sobriety. And for someone caught on the cycle of addiction and unwilling to take action jail can be a poor man’s detox.