Notices

fresh start

Old 07-30-2019, 11:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

fresh start

Is it possible to get a fresh start on SR? I don't mean this sarcastically. I really want to know. I know I've been a member of SR for a while so I understand why people bring this up and reference things I've said before. I know I have a long history of drinking and many failures, but most of us do. Sometimes, I feel I have burnt my bridges here and maybe I have. Maybe I would of given up on me if I was a member here. People talk about a day one with quitting drinking. Is it possible to get a fresh start here? Is it possible for people here to forget the past and just focus on where I am right now? John
Old 07-30-2019, 11:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well said.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We all deserve a fresh start. I think just like with recovery, a fresh start is what we make it.

You can start with this thread.

You can also join the class associated with your sobriety date, I love my class.

It’s just like everything else I think, the more you do the next right thing, the better things get. We cringe less at our past behaviors we aren’t happy with, because we have a bank of things we do that we are happy with.

I can only speak for myself, but the more I was consistent and sober- the better I was for myself and everyone around me.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back, John.
Glad you made it back, some don't.
I can only speak for myself, but it's perfectly fine to get a fresh start here.
I did, under a different user name. In fact, I relapsed and came back quite a few times.
So, it's great to have you back and congratulations on your fresh start!
Old 07-30-2019, 11:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
Is it possible to get a fresh start on SR? I don't mean this sarcastically. I really want to know. I know I've been a member of SR for a while so I understand why people bring this up and reference things I've said before. I know I have a long history of drinking and many failures, but most of us do. Sometimes, I feel I have burnt my bridges here and maybe I have. Maybe I would of given up on me if I was a member here. People talk about a day one with quitting drinking. Is it possible to get a fresh start here? Is it possible for people here to forget the past and just focus on where I am right now? John
I think most people here are understanding and more forgiving than people who have not experienced this. I also think most here have burned bridges and bigger ones - by that I mean outside of SR. I certainly did and beat myself up about it, but I can't change it.

Don't think too much I think everyone here is focused on their own battle while supporting each other. We are all strangers yet everyone is open and honest. I don't know what you refer to but if you mean offending people then take this approach - before typing take a breath and ask yourself if you would say this to their face.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I Is it possible for people here to forget the past and just focus on where I am right now? John
Today's fresh start is tomorrow's past.

I guess you could get a metaphoric "fresh start" on this forum...create a new account or something. But your past is your past. If you want a real fresh start, start with the gift of sustained sobriety.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I look at my past as a part of my story and
journey thru life. I cant erase the past because
it is a part of whom I am. I also dont want to
close the door on it, as painful as some of it
is to me, yet, I can use it to my benefit and
learn from it to better myself and become
a stronger, healthier me in the long run.

Continue learning and growing in a healthy,
happy, honest way John using SR as one of
your lifelines to hold onto and the support
offered by many to guide you along on your
journey.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Every day is a fresh start. Keep posting .
Old 07-30-2019, 12:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would keep my screen name, 2muchpain.

You are absolutely right that we have all fallen short with attempts to quit drinking.

As we say in AA, we do not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it.

My past is part of my today.

We do not judge you - we just want to help.

And we're glad you're back.

Let's all stick around here together.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Give yourself a fresh start.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey man we are not here to judge anybody we know the drill you can come back here anytime we're not here to knock you down we're here to try to Build You Up. Post.vent.whatever. I been coming here for almost three months. On day 87 right now. And you will see me post all the time . I share my journey to give hope to anyone that wants what I got. Sobriety.peace of mind. . if you fall no worries dust your knees off and keep trying. Keep coming back
Old 07-30-2019, 01:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's always good to see you posting, John. No matter what.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Is it possible for people here to forget the past and just focus on where I am right now? John
Yes it is possible. First you need to define “where you are right now”. though, in order for us to help. If you want to quit drinking then you are definitely in the right place.

When people see you taking actionable steps to quit and stay quit, that is how you will be perceived by others.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hmmm. What does it matter what I /we think? Do you think maybe you need to give yourself a fresh start?

I for one don't judge anyone for relapsing. Ever. I have relapsed more times than I can count. I have experienced levels of crazy that I rarely see posted. I have been to rehab multiple times, hospitals and psych wards. Been there done it.

I take what you post at face value. But I for one will make a concerted effort to meet you right where you are. Maybe help me understand where that is.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi John

I think, as several people have noted, if a member shows a willingness to stay sober, and follows that willingness up with action, people will respond positively to that, no matter how long they've been a member here or how ever many times they've gone back to drinking in the past.

It's pointless me saying I don't recall any posts to you in recent memory raking up the past in a mean way, because its your perception here that matters.

If you get one of those posts again feel free to PM me or Anna and we'll look into it.

D
Old 07-30-2019, 04:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

If your past here bothers you John, reach out and make amends. If I get to say, you are always welcome back. All of us here at SR have a history of shooting ourselves in the big toe, Barney Fife style, on too many occasions to count. So don't feel alone in having effed everything up. We all have in some fashion. We do the best we can here and support each other. Welcome back.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for all your posts. Dee, I didn't mean to say that people bring back past posts to be mean. Maybe I should be reminded of my past posts to remind me where I was so I better know where I am. It's kinda like when someone in my family would bring up old stuff to sort of negate who I am today if that makes sense.
I've seen some people that have been here a while post that they are still struggling with drinking and get responses about how they have been struggling for a long time, so what's new? People that say these things aren't trying to be mean, but I think for some people, it just keeps them stuck and feel their efforts have meant nothing. I've probable said too much so I'll stop. John
Old 07-30-2019, 04:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

It can become increasingly difficult to know what to say to someone who's been struggling for a long time - but I really think in a case like that there'd be more keeping them 'stuck' than the responses they get here John.

I'm constantly delighted at the open hearted and generous way people are treated here on SR.

We can't please everyone.....but I think we hit most of the right notes, nearly all the time

D
Old 07-30-2019, 04:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

John, I agree with Dee.

Sometimes it's hard to know what to say, but we all do our best to help. I truly believe this. I'm very grateful for all the kind, wise and generous members here who are willing to share their lives in order to help others. Of course, sometimes we miss the mark, but I believe the intention is always good.

I'm glad you're giving this a fresh start.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

John, I will never pass judgement on you or anyone else's past. My focus here is to help as much as I can via an internet forum. You want a fresh start, you got it.