Notices

fresh start

Old 07-30-2019, 06:17 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
Thanks everyone for all your posts. Dee, I didn't mean to say that people bring back past posts to be mean. Maybe I should be reminded of my past posts to remind me where I was so I better know where I am. It's kinda like when someone in my family would bring up old stuff to sort of negate who I am today if that makes sense.
I've seen some people that have been here a while post that they are still struggling with drinking and get responses about how they have been struggling for a long time, so what's new? People that say these things aren't trying to be mean, but I think for some people, it just keeps them stuck and feel their efforts have meant nothing. I've probable said too much so I'll stop. John
What I like about forums like this is..you can never say too much and no one here...really has a direct impact on my life.

I take the good with the bad here..and any forum I am on...but if I want to be posting...good or bad...people have a choice to answer or not...to be positive or not...to be helpful or not...but I'm still going to post....and read...

If your trying to quit..these are the types of boards to read...I like to read back on my old posts..sometimes they do depress me...sometimes they give me reason to move forward.

I don't have a point...except...just do what makes you feel comfortable...if some one here doesn't make you feel comfortable...tell them! Don't ever hold back your thoughts for fear of rejection there are many other members to chat with.

Best wishes.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:41 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
It can become increasingly difficult to know what to say to someone who's been struggling for a long time - but I really think in a case like that there'd be more keeping them 'stuck' than the responses they get here John.

I'm constantly delighted at the open hearted and generous way people are treated here on SR.

We can't please everyone.....but I think we hit most of the right notes, nearly all the time

D
I agree Dee. At this point, I'm not looking for more suggestions on how to get and stay sober. The people here have given me many ideas on what to do and I really appreciate that. Nice to know people are willing to go out of their way to help others. It all comes down to me making the choice to quit drinking and do the work to stay that way. All I can ask for is for people to keep supporting me in achieving this. John
Old 07-31-2019, 03:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

We're all just happy you're here trying.

BTW, I like your name (or sboriety nomme de plume) a lot.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:57 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Glad you are back, John. And I only remembered some of the posts you might be thinking of or details of your journey once you brought it up - I remember YOU, as the person seeking sobriety and wanting to connect with others, not the specifics of any failure or [ ] feelings of this whole getting sober thing.

My suggestion is to take that pause others mentioned if you react by getting offended...remember that we are all self-absorbed to some degree so everyone can't respond to posts right away like the poster prob wants, and the better you can tell us what's up - even better, what you ARE trying this time- the better we can help you.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:21 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's also worth pointing out that you are forgetting a very important part of your past here on SR - when you were sober. You were successfully sober and a frequent/helpful contributor to this site during that time too. We can't change the past, only today. AKA - if you want a fresh start, you have to make it happen. It doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks or knows - especially here on SR.

Have you ever heard the saying "Wherever you go, there you are?" I think that might be applicable here. Make it happen today - put down the bottle and let us help you.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:09 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hey 2MuchPain,

I want to let you know, that despite probably you haven't even heard my screen name, you are someone that I recognize and has inspired me several times that I have gone down.

For me, I do not care how many day ones someone has in here, I think that the fact you are writing today means you are willing to a fresh start.

Keep strong man.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:07 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hope1989 View Post
Hey 2MuchPain,

I want to let you know, that despite probably you haven't even heard my screen name, you are someone that I recognize and has inspired me several times that I have gone down.

For me, I do not care how many day ones someone has in here, I think that the fact you are writing today means you are willing to a fresh start.

Keep strong man.
I'm trying. I know this isn't a popular thing to say, but I'm trying to taper right now. I really haven't been drinking much so I'm not sure why I bother to taper. I'm not expecting any major withdrawals or anything like that. I guess I'm just having a hard time completely quitting. I've had some decent sober time in the past so I know I can do it. Just gotta put the cork in the bottle and end it. John
Old 08-01-2019, 07:09 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Also want to add that I really appreciate it when people tell me I've made difference in their journey to sobriety. Gives me even more motivation to totally quit. Thanks everyone. John
Old 08-01-2019, 07:13 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Take the cork out and dump it down the drain 2MP. Then it is ended.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:44 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
I know this isn't a popular thing to say, but I'm trying to taper right now......................

........................Just gotta put the cork in the bottle and end it. John
Those 2 statements cannot exist simultaneously John. Either you are quitting or you aren't - you know tapering won't work. That's how you create a "fresh start". You say - "Today, right this minute, I am quitting drinking". Say it out loud to yourself if you need to - write it on you hand, post it on your refrgerator, whatever it takes.

As long as you continue to entertain thoughts of tapering or moderation you'll never get that fresh start - even if you were posting here for the first time.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:08 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Well, I think I have said everything I wanted to say on this thread, so I'll leave it at that. Thanks for all your responses. John
Old 08-01-2019, 11:48 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi John;
Just wanted to send you good wishes and tell you that I also have found inspiration in your posts.

I hope you keep posting and sharing
Old 08-01-2019, 12:17 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
As long as you continue to entertain thoughts of tapering or moderation you'll never get that fresh start - even if you were posting here for the first time.
This is so true, John. You can create the fresh start you want when you get rid of the alcohol for good.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:39 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Hi John;
Just wanted to send you good wishes and tell you that I also have found inspiration in your posts.

I hope you keep posting and sharing
I am surprised to hear my posts meant anything to you considering you have been sober for such a long time. Between your post and others that have said that I made a small difference in their lives make me want to more than ever to totally quit drinking. I really didn't think I made any difference in anybody's life, even when teaching. Maybe that's part of being self-centered, I don't know.
I remember kids I worked with telling me how I made a difference in their lives, and I just couldn't understand how that could be. I see me as such a mess so how could this happen? I don't get it and will probably never will. I must of done something right. I just don't know what that was. I see myself as a small unimportant person with little to offer others. Anyway, tomorrow is day 1. I have no booze left and plan on spending the next several days recovering. Except for some anxiety and sleep problems, I am not expecting any major problems. John
Old 08-01-2019, 12:56 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

We are always our own harshest critics John, especially us teachers as we think we have to be perfect role models which turns out to be mostly impossible.

I had some relapses in the past year so although I have a lot of sober time in the past five years, it hasn't been continuous.

Like you, I needed a fresh start and I took it and am building some solid continuous sober time now. You will do the same now that you are ready to start again. What is that saying; "fall down seven times, get up eight". . .

I think we are similar in that we maybe have more self-esteem issues instead of self-centeredness issues. I hope you can get support to work through that--realizing that I am a person of worth and not unimportant, just as you are, was key to me getting that first long stretch of sobriety. Doubting it again was one of the strongest influences that led to me picking up again.

Tomorrow is a new day, and I wish you a very speedy recovery on your fresh start. Remember that you have the wisdom that only comes with age and life experience, and that is a wonderful thing to share here and IRL as you grow in recovery.

You won't believe how wonderful extended sobriety can be as mature adults. I can't believe I ever let it go, but I won't be doing it again--
Old 08-01-2019, 12:56 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I haven't read all the responses and I dont know your back story etc but never ever give up John. You deserve a fresh start as all of us do. Free from the chains of alcohol.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:51 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hope Day 1 is off to a good start John?
Old 08-02-2019, 07:58 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Hope Day 1 is off to a good start John?
So far, so good. I have no alcohol at home and don't plan on buying any. Some anxiety but that's pretty much it. I wasn't drinking that much so don't expect to have any major withdrawals. Thanks for checking in. John
Old 08-02-2019, 08:03 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Thank you for this thread. I'm back with a week sober and I will not give up. This place is my main source of support and I've ever thankful you are here.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:42 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to hear Day 1 is going well, John.