Notices

Really bad depression at 8 months. Anyone have it?

Old 07-18-2019, 03:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Really bad depression at 8 months. Anyone have it?

i got 8 months on July 10. I’m on anti depressants. For the past two weeks I have had debilitating depression. I’m seeing my doc on August 1. It’s not so much mental as it is a physical fatigue and everything is hazy. It could be PAWS post acute withdrawal symptoms. I’m sleeping non-restorative sleep for like 12 hours and I feel like my body weighs 500 pounds.

This too shall pass but this is one ****** ass episode if I have ever had one. It’s like the lexapro isn’t even working or it quit on me...
Old 07-18-2019, 03:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Chiquen

I don;t remember that in my recovery but in my experience med wise sometimes meds will do that - they';ll just stop working.

I'm sorry it's a few weeks til you see your Dr. The best advice I can give is get outside as much as you can and try to keep engaged and busy as much as possible...

I know it's a fairly big ask but I believe you can do this

D
Old 07-18-2019, 04:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you can make it til you see your doctor. Your meds might need the dosage changed, or maybe a different med altogether. Sending you cyber hugs.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys...I guess I am hoping it will just pass but this is a really odd, suspect and long episode with extreme fatigue. It has depressive episode or relapse written on it...I am going to have hope I will pull out of it but I am seeing my psychiatrist in a week,
Old 07-18-2019, 04:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It does happen that meds which have worked for you, stop working. Hopefully you will be able to get this figured out with the help of your doctors.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi, for what it’s worth, I have noticed meds affecting me differently after some sober time.
It’s like my body chemistry changed as I detoxed.
Frustrating but fixable.
Sending good thoughts for a speedy resolution.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes me.

I have been sober for nearly 15 months. For the last 10 years I have been on an anti depressant but it probably never worked as well as it should because I was always drinking on it. Stupidly , in early recovery, I decided to come off my anti depressants without seeking any advice from a doctor as I thought that by quitting alcohol my symptoms would disappear. That wasnt the case. So I went back to my doctor and was honest with her. Told her i was in recovery and had decided to come off my meds and felt awful. So we made a mutual agreement that i would go back on the same medication and dose and see what happened. Initially I felt really good again. But as time went on I was noticing I had no motivation, felt over whelming sadness, wanted to just sleep through the day. I wasnt drinking and I was working a recovery plan which obviously helped but I didnt feel "right". I thought maybe I have some iron or vitamin deficiency so I returned to my docs, explained my symptoms and had my bloods tested. All ok! So I returned to my doctors and I said, I think I am depressed. Everyday was like wading through mud exercise helps but I had no motivation to do it. My doctor was amazing and she suggested to me to stay on my original anti d as it had helped me before and she doubled the dosage. I am now on 40mg of citalopram and I feel so much better. The overwhelming sadness has lifted, my general mood has lifted, not everything is doom and gloom, I do not feel like going back to bed after the school run and I am exercising again 😀😀

It is sometimes difficult in recovery to pinpoint what is wrong with us in my experience. I was always drinking so I never really knew how I felt. So I am getting to know me and my feelings. I mean I never knew that the week before my time of the month I was a real monster lol . I have found that put in sobriety! But it's ok cos I can treat that now. I must have been especially horrible to others at that time when I was drinking oops.

You are doing the right thing to visit your GP and discuss with them. Good luck. Let us know how you get on.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

I had this and then I became really flat for a while (longer than I wanted) and it finally left and things got more clear....keep healing well!!
Old 07-19-2019, 06:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It could be partly something else, too, like sleep apnea. Do you snore?

What about general nutrition? Lots of variety? Plenty of protein and fruits and vegetables? Nutrition is medicine.

How about your Vitamin D levels? Have you had that checked? Vitamin D was a game changer for me, it removed lifelong low-level depression. I do live fairly far north, so that's pretty common.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I can relate to depression, that's for sure. Going on meds didn't come up at all during several attempts at therapy; this is a long time ago, perhaps they didn't offer it back in the mid 80's when I got sober.

It's fortunate for you to have the opportunity to use both meds and sobriety to get well. It does take time.

Depression was awful for me but I stayed sober because anything was better than going back to that hell. Not until 1997 was I evaluated for medication. The brand name has changed over the years and thankfully the dose is greatly reduced.

But going on meds did not magically make me well. To stay sane, serene and reasonably happy, for me takes a lot of effort that I gladly do on an ongoing basis--no vacations from: not taking the first drink or compulsive bite, step work, service work (service to others in AA/OA and to my family), staying off sugar, regular exercise, eating clean, prayer, etc.--

I get to do this work! The result is a life worth living.

God bless you.

Last edited by Ringo123; 07-19-2019 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Had to fix the italics.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

17months

I just hit 17 months sober and I’m still having depression, anxiety, derealization, and light sensitivity. I believe it’s some sort of chemical imbalance. I have days where I’m better but still have more bad days than good. Sometimes we no choice but to stay positive and hope for the best. I know this isnt what you want to hear but yea I’m still feeling bad but I’m still pushing through. Everyday is still a struggle with work, gym, and other everyday activities. I go through 2 bad weeks and then about 2 ok weeks. I’ve read that these symptoms can happen within the first 2 to 3 years of recovery. But you are not in this alone. I’m still waiting for mine to lift.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

At six months I have also hit a rocky bit. Want to avoid all people. Feeling flat, discontented. We just have to go through this. Will happen from time to time.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

No meds here but at 8 months I was right where you’re at. I think it was PAWS. Just gotta think of each sober day as a win and keep going.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey chiquen I see this is a fairly old thread/you haven't posted much since. How are things going if you're still around?

Mine's hit at four months, the doc's upped my dosage. Hoping for the best 'cause drinking thoughts have returned. I've quelled them for now but yeah it's almost nice to be able to treat depression properly, not in the haze of boozing. Though I did say almost.

Hope you're well.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have had really bad Deppression last few weeks which let me to relapse. Two nights of drinking turned things much much worse. I am three days sober now.

Please learn from my mistake and do not turn to alcohol.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I recommend seeing a Dr if anyone is suffering from chronic depression.

Even if you decide not to take meds it can help to simply talk about it and explore your options
Old 09-07-2019, 05:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Old 09-07-2019, 05:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm going through exactly the same thing, at just under 8 months. I'm on Wellbutrin, but it doesn't appear to be helping. I do have an appointment with my doctor this week.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

This definitely rang a bell with me - sure enough, I posted something similar at 9 months: https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ths-sober.html (Challenges Around 9 Months Sober?)

Luckily, it did eventually pass.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yes!!! I’m at 9 months and have depression and anxiety. Trying meds but they bring their own battle of side effects and finding what works. Personally, I don’t believe that I have PAWS. I think that I am finally dealing with life and all the internal things that I drank over. For me, I have to sometimes force myself into action even when I don’t feel like it. That could mean running an errand, calling a friend, doing laundry, going to a meeting. Even posting right now. Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone.

Becca