Notices

Challenges Around 9 Months Sober?

Old 10-07-2018, 08:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Challenges Around 9 Months Sober?

Hi all! I quit drinking on 12/18, and mostly I've been doing well in recovery: Much happier, more peaceful, less anxious, experiencing real joy for the first time in years. Recently though, I've started to notice that old thought patterns are re-emerging, in the form of irritability, resentment, even the exhaustion that I thought I left behind in the very early days of sobriety. Luckily, I'm not tempted to drink, but I'm curious whether anyone else has experienced an especially rough patch during this stage of recovery. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi PS

There may be folks here who never feel that way again, but that was not ,my experience..

The difference for me tho is those feelings or thoughts never last long. I'm a naturally happy and optimistic person - I lost that in my drinking days - and it's great to have that back again. I hope and trust things will be better for you too in a few days

D
Old 10-07-2018, 10:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Palmer - I would have bouts that seemed to pop up out of nowhere. I don't remember specifically having on around 9 months. They would go away on their own. Over time those periods generally got shorter. Self-care things like exercise, better eating, and going to meetings would help.

Congrats on your sober time.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life is good

I'm not alcoholic. I am in recovery, 12 step plus therapy. When things bubble up, I hit meetings harder or more/new therapy as prayer/healthy instinct leads me.

Kudos for recognizing and posting here about it. Actions first, feelings folow.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks all! I really appreciate the feedback. It sounds like this is just another blip on the radar and I simply need to amp up my recovery efforts (I don't do AA so it is esentially reading and posting here), and wait for the storm to pass.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

PS - sounds like regular old life to me!

Big congrats on 9 months, that's serious time.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I feel ya there. I am at 11 months and i have had those off and on. we both know, they come and they go. It will pass friend.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Palm,

The fad of sobriety wears off after a while. Well, the hell I dealt w daily got less and less traumatic.

I harbor deep resentments that I have worked hard to release. I feel some folks provoke me still, kicking a passive soul trying to make his way.

I let it go. All the way. I don't think of the past. I live in the present and prepare for the future. This life I have on earth is all I get.

No more harboring ill will. Moving forward.

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Never made it 9 months, but got very cocky at 7 months and thought I would be fine if I only drank beer... I'd take walks everyday with my dog and this internal debate would consume my mind.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I definitely did. I think it was PAWS for me. Was really tough but I came out on the other side just fine. It was at 8 months for me- exhaustion, depression etc.. Searching “8 months sober and depressed” was how I found SR! It was just more proof that full-on continuous sobriety was essential. Keep at it and be patient.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PalmerSage View Post
Thanks all! I really appreciate the feedback. It sounds like this is just another blip on the radar and I simply need to amp up my recovery efforts (I don't do AA so it is esentially reading and posting here), and wait for the storm to pass.
Nine months is so awesome! What you just said sounds like the right approach to me- I had a slump at 9/10, which was also the holidays of Nov- Dec so some added complications there with different family pieces! "Bumping things up" has been the best solution for me when days or a few weeks are challenging.

Keep going. You are in a good path!
Old 10-10-2018, 03:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you so much, everyone! I really appreciate all the responses, even if the message is "yeah, it sucks, keep pushing through." I'll hit 10 months next week, so maybe the bummed-out attitude will improve somewhat afterwards!
Old 10-10-2018, 08:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Palmer- I have found that the down times or slumps or the like have been shorter-lasting, and less frequent, as time has gone on in my sobriety. Some days I do still use my "Send Myself To Bed Early" technique though
Old 10-10-2018, 08:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks August, I hope you're right! I think I was spoiled by doing so well for so long. I do wish I could have slept well last night, because I am sooooo tired. Maybe tonight is the night! And yes, sleep is my new obsession.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

That stuff comes and goes in waves for me but the waves get smaller and further apart with time. I felt that way at 9 months, it wasn't really until around 13 months that things started really feeling good for me. I have 20 months now and it's even better.