Notices

Revenge

Old 06-20-2019, 09:01 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
nez

Whenever I entertain thoughts of revenge or experience pleasure from another person's misfortune, those thoughts all originate from my ego. My ego is part of me and will always be, but I decide what and how much I feed the thoughts that my ego presents to me. Some thoughts I let die from malnutrition.

A rip hammer is a tool with a lot of different uses. It can pound nails, pull nails, split lumber, be used to measure, tear down drywall, straighten saw blades, dig holes, break up ice dams, and even scratch my back.

My ego is also a tool. How and when I use it is up to me.

My ego knows very little about peace and serenity. My heart knows a lot about peace and serenity.

My heart is also a tool. How and when I use it is up to me.

I hope to be mindful when selecting a tool to put into use.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:51 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

This is definitely an area I need to overcome. I generally like people, and it takes a lot to really get on my bad side. But at my last job, a supervisor regularly bullied and sabotaged me. Wow, I hated her. That was a new feeling for me.

I got my vindication by doing a good job and letting my work speak for itself, but I wouldn’t have minded if a piano would’ve fallen on her head or something.

I thought I had forgiven her because I seldom think of her these days, but then I saw her in public a few weeks ago. We made eye contact and she kind of waved and looked like she wanted to say something, but I just looked at her, then looked away without so much as a nod, and kept walking. It felt good to snub her.

So maybe I haven’t really forgiven her yet, but at least I’m not wishing for a piano to fall on her head. Maybe that’s progress?

Old 06-20-2019, 10:02 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

“Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.” - Confucius

I don’t think it could be said any better. When we harbor resentments, we harm ourselves as well.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:05 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Originally Posted by Mac4711 View Post
“Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.” - Confucius

I don’t think it could be said any better. When we harbor resentments, we harm ourselves as well.
Perfect!
Old 06-20-2019, 11:12 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I think revenge has its attraction, but it only gives you a short-lived buzz. It also means that you are still in conflict with whoever you are trying to get back at and it ends up being draining. I reckon its best to move on and use that energy on the positive relationships that you have.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:39 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I have played out scenarios of revenge in my head for people who have wronged me.....but then I go back to the Bible.
Romans 12:19
Do not avenge yourselves, beloved, but leave room for God's wrath. For it is written: "Vengeance is Mine; I will repay, says the Lord."

He can take care of my enemies better than I ever could. Some people call it karma. Plus, it frees up my mind for more positive things.