Notices

Double digits

Old 06-19-2019, 07:25 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

well being laid off I am home all day by myself. which is why I was drinking all day. I dont drink at work so being home on the weekend, normally, when working, I would drink all day. And being laid off I was drinking all day. Now that I am not drinking I actually think the weekend is easier because at least my wife is home and I have some one to talk to. Being home all day by yourself and not working sucks. Over the years being laid off for 6 months then 9 months then 15, now almost 8 has played a big role in my increased drinking. My own fault ofcourse but all that time on my hands did not do me any favors. I did not spend it wisely. I will now though.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:14 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Congrats Abraham. Keep going!!
Old 06-20-2019, 04:40 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Abraham

Firstly, massive congratulations on 10 days!

You and I seem to have both been battling this since 2014, or at least we both made our first SR accounts then, I believe?

I was also a rum and beer drinker and subscribed to the 'just beer' belief for the longest time. Always ended up smashed off all sorts in the end, mind.

Four days ago, though, I came clean to my family and I'm gonna beat this crap. I know you can too!
Old 06-20-2019, 04:53 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Good for you and good for us. Thanks for your post and best of luck. I look forward to talking with you more in the future.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:59 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Abraham- I didn't work for the first 5-6 wks sober because I was so sick. Keeping myself occupied was a big deal indeed. For me, Aa meetings were a daily part. But the rest of the time....everything and anything that worked except drinking.

Netflix binges, tons of naps or the Send Myself To Bed Early technique (5pm? Fine! Get me to the next day!), "adult" coloring books that mean they had curse words, when I could concentrate better a lot of books and memoirs on recovery (anna has a book thread if you want to check it out)...SR, I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff.

Keep going.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:30 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

thanks for the reply. I dont really get into watching movies( explitive hollywood) or tv really, I sleep well at night so cant imagine taking a nap. I have no problem going to bed early if needed but I am feeling pretty good. My normal sleep time is 9 cuz I get up at 4 am but even when I was drinking all day and hammered my earliest to crash out was 6 and that was rare(only once really). I had started going up to bed at 7 or 8 during my last week of drinking cuz I was hitting it(rum)hard at 7 am. Now I am staying up till 12 or 1 am cuz I am not drinking and not wasted. Went to bed at 12 last night, slept till 7:30. I always slept good while drinking and now that I'm not it feels the same. I did not have any withdrawals really to speak of except anxiety. No problems sleeping. I do paint(watercolor) on and off. Maybe if I get bored I will start that up but probably not for now. I'm reading Desperate journeys abandoned souls right now. Not a sobriety book but Its about sailing(kind of) which I am hooked on. I do long distance(and short distance) offshore ocean races and great lakes as well so I am either sailing or reading about sailing. Except now I have some down time cuz my daughter is home from school. I'm thinking about building a sailboat model for a new hobby but really, I have an acre garden and mowing and weeding and planting along with boat work keep me busy even though I have been home alot lately. Its been winter. No sailing, no gardening. Port huron to Mackinac race comming up soon. [ Two doctors, a nurse, and a paramedical on board. Safest boat in the race. Wish us luck. We come in second or third to last in our class just about every year. Its fun though. Last year we sailed through a gale warning. About 10-12 foot waves in 45knts of wind at about 2am. It was awesome! Thanks again for the reply. I see you as one of the wise ones around here.

Last edited by Dee74; 06-20-2019 at 05:39 PM. Reason: removed link
Old 06-21-2019, 05:37 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hey, A! Wow! Your racing sounds like an exciting adventure! I definitely would not have been able to handle the waves-- I get motion sick so easily. I would have been heaving overboard. Haha.

I'm not a big movie or tv watcher either. I'm usually too busy and when I have free time I typically choose to spend it in different ways.

Building a model could be fun. I haven't really done that much either except for a few model rockets with my kiddo.

Right now I'm doing some seminars and continuing education courses for work, so my spare time is spent reading and prepping.

Always good to read your posts!