Notices

I'm bored out of my mind.

Old 06-21-2019, 02:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm bored out of my mind.

Hey guys,

So, posting almost the whole week for the first time. So let's do this!

I am bored. And not like "I want to drink bored", because honestly, I don't want to drink. BUT, a lot of times this situation lead me to drink.

So, one of the points here is to be completely honest with ourselves. Besides work, I got absolutely nothing to do. And the very few things that I would like to do, like go to the gym, generates me a high level of anxiety (I know the weirdness of getting anxious for going to the gym).

Trying new things for me it's really hard and I just want to do something I truly enjoy. I mean, this is very selfish and shallow, and I do care for society, but I'm not the volunteer work type of guy. Now the big question is what do I enjoy?

I love watching sports. A LOT. But I can't confine myself to my flat because well, this will lead me to drink, especially at nights. I can't sleep all day, well theoretically I can, but that's not really my vision of "having a life".

I'm not sure the aim of this post, but I get this is something that is of real concern to me.

Have a great and sober Friday all,

Hope
Old 06-21-2019, 02:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Hope,

I have felt like absolutely bored during early sobriety. It takes time to find activities to fill the time spent drinking but it can be done.

Personally, my drinking was binging at weekends so I needed to replace the time I spent either drinking or hungover with something else. But What?

Over time and with some effort and willingness to change; new, better activities can be found and are actually all around us.

I replaced my 2 bottles of wine on a Friday night with online gaming, reading and YouTube. During the weekends (when I would be hungover/drinking), I now exercise, I play golf with a sober friend of mine (handicap dropping!!).

I pay for more attention to things domestically e.g. car servicing and maintenance, garden, house, cleaning, cooking, etc (I try and be a better husband and father).

I have started looking at meditation as a friend of mine does that. Go to gigs and enjoy the music and atmosphere, sober!

There are literally millions of things to do. What did you enjoy as a child? Re-visit those activities/themes as a starter.

Good luck!
Old 06-21-2019, 02:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's lots of good suggestions here that may give you some ideas

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ething-do.html (Looking For Something To Do?)
D
Old 06-21-2019, 07:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Also you can get a good workout at home with just body weight, ie, pushups, situps, planks, pullups, etc...
Old 06-21-2019, 07:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A strict routine has helped me a lot. In the beginning it was irrelevant whether I enjoyed it or not. Life is not that easy. We don’t just fall out of alcoholism into something fabulous. Force yourself.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Someone told me this when I was complaining that I was bored and I think of it each time I feel stagnant.

Things Are Only Boring To Boring People.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Do you have any pets? I know for some, having an animal is a great distraction, stress reliever, and companion. Taking a dog for a walk on a trail is very rewarding and fulfilling in my opinion. But not all people are animal people. My father-in-law will barely touch a dog or cat.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

A few ideas.....(and i did get sober living alone but I'm mainly throwing out not at home ones)
-Movies - (no alcohol theaters that is)
- Libraries
-I know a guy who rode MARTA, our public transportation, loops from N to S at the early stage of sobriety.

Point being- something where alcohol isn't an option that kills time.

At home I did the proverbial Netflix bingeing, a LOT of naps, lots of books on recovery, coloring books with curse words....

And meetings. Even if AA isn't your "thing" good way to occupy at least an hour plus any travel time.

We really just have to find or make ourselves do stuff til things are more automatic and thoughts like "if I'm home alone at night" (or whatever) don't happen...
Old 06-21-2019, 08:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There's an organization called meetups that you can connect to on line. It shows different kinds of groups in your area that get together for specific interests like going to movies, eating out, music, travel, etc. You might want to look into it. John
Old 06-21-2019, 08:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Volunteering in my community, which I began in very early recovery, literally saved me.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Serenity Now!

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Volunteering in my community, which I began in very early recovery, literally saved me.
ya im bored as hell too. thinking about volunteering, they usually want you to be available when im working but im not right now so i might look into that too.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grimes View Post
ya im bored as hell too. thinking about volunteering, they usually want you to be available when im working but im not right now so i might look into that too.
Respectfully, please don't do it if you are still drinking/tapering/on the meds you have told us about. For your sake as well as others.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Anhedonia is a fairly common symptom in early recovery. that sense of a loss of pleasure. our bodies and minds need TIME to start to heal. LOTS of time. there is a real good reason why they came up with slogans like:
Easy Does It
First things First
Fake it til ya Make it
Baby steps

so maybe you are not ready to go to the gym TODAY. but maybe you could lace up the tennis shoes and go for a nice brisk walk.

maybe since part of recovery is getting our "house" in order, you could actually survey your domicile and see if any ordering needs to be done.

maybe go to a bookstore or library and look at/thru books in various categories, see if anything catches your eye. thumb through a few.

none of the above are dramatic CHANGE ME NOW actions, but they are actions.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Serenity Now!

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Respectfully, please don't do it if you are still drinking/tapering/on the meds you have told us about. For your sake as well as others.
ya, i get that, just sitting a home doing nothing is probably worse. used to work at the food bank, organizing food cant be that tough.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I always think how boring drinking is. Just drinking to be numb, not to feel or do anything.

Drinkign every night is true boredom.

It's just getting out there or staying home and doing new things, learning new things, exploring.

Great thread from Dee.

If you are depressed, which can make us unable to do things, maybe see your doc.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I started reading and I enjoy going to libraries and bookstores. I also started a saltwater reef aquarium and built several model cars. I can eat up hours working on models.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've been journaling more. Got some nice pens and paper that I enjoy using, and especially in the morning when I'm up earlier, capture some of those morning inspirations. I try to write slow and neat as a sort of meditative practice, and it can burn 30+ minutes in a sitting. Different colors of ink for different moods are fun too (depending on the mood )
Old 06-21-2019, 05:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

After my kids were born I started bike riding. I had no issues losing weight, my children were large and I nursed and they drank, a lot. I rode, because boring for me staying home with two littluns, quick to get to the park, or just for a half hour ride and kept me in killer shape. I also played softball. In the winter I just walked. I had to stay sober for 4 years while pregnant and nursing the girls, so my boredom was compounded. Dh and I still go biking, for a while the girls were on tag a longs or in the trailer. It is something nice alone or in a group. I have thought about joining a riding club, but you have to qualify with a timed ride to get in.
I am probably not much help, 8pm on a Friday, I am in bed lol.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyLittleHorsie View Post
I am probably not much help, 8pm on a Friday, I am in bed lol.
Had to laugh ‘cause it’s 8:34 on Friday and I’m all tucked in. Never underestimate the power of sleep.

I’m big on exercise as it’s paid dividends for my well being. It also quickly eliminated that empty time in the evening that was my witching hour. Readjusting my schedule helped a lot, and tiring myself out helped me feel better and enjoy turning in early.
-bora