Notices

Nonalcoholic beer

Old 06-22-2019, 06:38 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
interesting. I’m a former heavy drinker, now teetotal, but I get along just fine with alcohol free beer. Once you get used to the taste, it’s great. Also, just one small bottle is enough. With real beer, it’d take way more bottles to satisfy me.

i know I can’t drink ever again as I’m dependent, but alco free beer does it for me
I find NA beer to be enjoyable. I genuinely enjoyed the taste of beer, wine, and certain liquors. Maybe it's a mental thing still associating the taste with relaxation, but I haven't had a problem with drinking a NA beer or two after sweating my butt off mowing the lawn or whatnot.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:44 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Serenity Now!

i tried drinking NA beer, never really liked the taste of actual beer, but the NA stuff for me tasted like bad apple juice.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:28 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by abgator View Post
I find NA beer to be enjoyable. I genuinely enjoyed the taste of beer, wine, and certain liquors. Maybe it's a mental thing still associating the taste with relaxation, but I haven't had a problem with drinking a NA beer or two after sweating my butt off mowing the lawn or whatnot.
There are two schools of thought. I drink alcohol free beer as it tastes OK and the brand I drink has very low sugar, way lower than any soft drink. I don’t associate it with the real beer I drank in the bad old days.

However, some people steer clear as it reminds them of real beer. That’s cool too.

Just as an aside, maybe I’ll start a new thread, what do people drink instead? The sugar content in soft drinks or fruit juice is unhealthily high and I’d prefer to avoid artificial sweeteners. I can’t drink just water ☹️
Old 06-22-2019, 10:08 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Just as an aside, maybe I’ll start a new thread, what do people drink instead? The sugar content in soft drinks or fruit juice is unhealthily high and I’d prefer to avoid artificial sweeteners. I can’t drink just water ☹️
Plain ol' water is what I drink most of the time, specifically at home. At work I tend to drink 2 or 3 cups of coffee and then switch to hot tea (green tea kombucha, lemon ginger, etc).

If I go out to eat, I'll treat myself to sweet tea. On the weekends, I may have a glass of Light apple juice (I preferred the flavor of that to regular apple juice before). But I really only keep OJ or apple juice in the fridge because of the kid.

If I absolutely have to put sugar in something, I use monk fruit. Like stevia, it's all natural, only comes from a fruit in Asia instead of a plant. Asians have used it forever instead of processed sugar. It's delicious and a true 1:1 substitute. Though I rarely use it, it's a nice option to have.

I like kombucha as well, but it's expensive. I've considered making it on my own.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:38 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Please take this response from an alcoholic who's never tried,
nor thought of ever trying to consume NA beer.
What's the point? If it works for some of you guys, that fine.
Personally, I'd run as far away as possible from anything that reminded me,
simulated the taste, or falsely convinced my brain that it was "near beer".
Nope, sounds like a crutch for a while, until the inevitable occurs.
Once again, if it's a useful tool to fight your own personal abstinence, more power to you.
I'll pass.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:22 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

To me, it’s not even beer. We have to take fluid on board or we’d become dehydrated. The brand of alcohol free beer I choose is also very low in sugar. The next drink down the sugar scale is water. So I would choose to drink tea, coffee, water, cordial (way too much sugar hi be healthy), home-made veg juice or last and least alcohol free beer.

If someone with a drink problem asked me if alcohol free beer was OK, I have to say it’s infinitely better than the real stuff. I have a genuine concern here as drinkers are told to avoid NA beer but given no alternative. If they can get used to the very different taste of NA beer and maybe even enjoy it, they’re a massive step closer to stopping the booze. To demonise NA beer concerns me.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:25 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

It looks like beer, it tastes like beer, it smells like beer, it pours like beer.

I don't understand why anyone trying not to drink alcohol would want to have so many physical and mental reminders of something so damaging and dangerous to us.

There are plenty of non alcoholic drinks out there that don't look, taste, smell or remind is of beer.

The point of NA beer is it is beer but it just has low alcohol (not NO alcohol as most contain some) I'd run miles than drink it
Old 06-23-2019, 10:56 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
nez

I love riding my motorcycle. I know it is dangerous, but I am not ready to give it up yet. If at some point, I decide to stop riding, I imagine that a virtual reality motorcycle riding experience would probably help me in my efforts...who am I kidding... in no time at all I would be back in the wind for real. I know how my mind works, at least some times I know.

Because I know how my mind works, if I start to think
The taste also takes some getting used to.
If they can get used to the very different taste of NA beer
I would be receiving red flags. Why would I have to train myself to enjoy the taste. What is the payoff for me?

As I previously stated, I loved beer. I didn't think I would ever find another beverage that I would love as much. I probably haven't, but I have found healthy beverages that I love and I didn't have to train myself to enjoy the taste. I did not replace beer with another beverage. Today I just chose different beverages which are equally pleasurable or actually more so because I am free.

I didn't post this because I have an axe to grind or to push my point of view. I posted it to help me reflect upon and to better understand my own thought processes and subsequent actions.

Could possibly be construed as selfish, but that just reveals more about the complicated inner workings that I deal with. By better understanding the inner workings of nez, the better I will understand others. At any rate that is my story and I'm sticking to it!
Old 06-23-2019, 11:32 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

ust as an aside, maybe I’ll start a new thread, what do people drink instead? The sugar content in soft drinks or fruit juice is unhealthily high and I’d prefer to avoid artificial sweeteners. I can’t drink just water ☹️

Originally Posted by abgator View Post
Plain ol' water is what I drink most of the time, specifically at home. At work I tend to drink 2 or 3 cups of coffee and then switch to hot tea (green tea kombucha, lemon ginger, etc).

If I go out to eat, I'll treat myself to sweet tea. On the weekends, I may have a glass of Light apple juice (I preferred the flavor of that to regular apple juice before). But I really only keep OJ or apple juice in the fridge because of the kid.

If I absolutely have to put sugar in something, I use monk fruit. Like stevia, it's all natural, only comes from a fruit in Asia instead of a plant. Asians have used it forever instead of processed sugar. It's delicious and a true 1:1 substitute. Though I rarely use it, it's a nice option to have.

I like kombucha as well, but it's expensive. I've considered making it on my own.
I drink a lot of carbonated/mineral waters, like la croix and similar drinks. Even the plain ones are enjoyable to me once I got used to them. You get the refreshing bite of cold carbonation without the sugar or alcohol.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:57 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

If someone with a drink problem asked me if alcohol free beer was OK, I have to say it’s infinitely better than the real stuff. I have a genuine concern here as drinkers are told to avoid NA beer but given no alternative. If they can get used to the very different taste of NA beer and maybe even enjoy it, they’re a massive step closer to stopping the booze. To demonise NA beer concerns me.

water, one of the THOUSAND of juice drinks out, one of the THOUSANDS of sodas out,tea,milk...............
its a sober recovery forum. of course people with a genuine concern about others are going to frown on NA beer. why in the hell wouldnt we?
im not here to get people closer to stopping booze- im here to help people stop PERIOD.

sure seems like a few here should find an NA beer forum to discuss NA beer. quite disrespectful to the forum to go on and on about it.

p.s.
ya might want to look at why it bothers ya that people on a forum dedicated to recovery frown on NA beer.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:25 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

To summarize, some like it and some dont. No sense talking about(dogging on) some one elses route to becoming sober. Its YOUR journey. As long as you stay in your own lane it will all be good. Also.

Originally Posted by WeThinkNot View Post
Moderation management is a topic that is not allowed anywhere on this forum.
To the best of my knowledge after reading and re reading the rules several times I dont believe this is true. I have never saw that written anywhere in the rules. Maybe I'm misinterpreting but lets at least be honest and clear. My eyes are not the greatest but I can not find any mention of this. I'm happy to abide and stand corrected if someone can point me to the proper verbiage.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:52 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

What you, I, or anybody likes or dislikes is irrelevant. The name of this website is soberrecovery.com not ilikenonalcoholicbeer.com. This website serves as an online fellowship to help fellow addicts and alcoholics, not to promote brands of NA beer.

Originally Posted by Abraham View Post
To the best of my knowledge after reading and re reading the rules several times I dont believe this is true. I have never saw that written anywhere in the rules. Maybe I'm misinterpreting but lets at least be honest and clear. My eyes are not the greatest but I can not find any mention of this. I'm happy to abide and stand corrected if someone can point me to the proper verbiage.
The forum policies are clearly listed.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:09 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I mentioned specific brands as someone asked for recommendations in the U.K.

Sorry all, but we’re supposed to be adults able to decide for ourselves. The forum rules mention nothing on this topic, and I’m not going to discuss it anymore, because frankly a few people have this black and white view of the world and seem to find it hard to accept another view. Apologies if anyone was upset, but I still have the same opinion.

We all want the same thing which is to be sober and help others to be so.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:26 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

a long time ago I tried it
it wasn`t long before I was drinking a 12 pack a day and soon I went back to the real thing
One of my sponsors told me people who drink it still has the "taste" for a drink in their mouth
Old 06-23-2019, 03:49 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi guys

its never been the practice here to allow discussion of various brands of NA beer.

the reason is simple - this is a recovery site - this specifically is the newcomers forum - and we don't want to trigger anyone.

Its just common sense.

2. Outside Agendas: No posts of an overtly political or religious nature OR posts promoting advocacy of particular personal, medical, legal, religious, political, or non-profit causes. The forums are intended for offering mutual personal support related to recovery from addiction or recovery for family and friends. This is our primary purpose. Debating controversial subjects should be taken elsewhere. Limited references are allowed, but the forums should not be used to convert others. Do not post content or links or materials to and from sites that flame someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program/method. It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.
I think we've done this topic for now.
Thread closed.

Dee
Adminstrator
SR