Notices

Nonalcoholic beer

Old 06-19-2019, 03:34 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
nez

[disclaimer: this is strictly my experience, I might be the only person in the history of mankind that will ever have this particular interaction with NA beer, but nonetheless this was how it went for me]

I loved everything about beer. The taste. The carbonation. The refreshing and quenching capabilities on a hot day. The sound of the top popping. The condensation. The anticipation of that cold honeydew vine water hitting the back of my throat. I could go on and on, but I think y'all get the gist. For me it was the perfect beverage.

After a period of sobriety during which I never found a beverage that ticked all the boxes for me like beer did, along came NA beer. Ah, the perfect solution for this beer lover. All of my sensory pleasures could once again be experienced, that plus like other people mentioned, I was good with consuming only one or two, instead of a case. I was satiated.

This went along fine for a while. I figured that my over consumption problem had been resolved because I was good with just one or two. Since that issue had been obviously dealt with I could go back to the real thing because now I was fine with consuming just one or two which was great because I wouldn't get drunk on just one or two beers and besides I never drank to get drunk anyway. Never mind the fact that every time I drank, I got drunk. It was beer's fault, it was just because I wasn't satisfied with only one or two, and now I was fine with doing that. Hooray!

This went along fine for a while. The strange thing was that the time period between the just one or two, so that I wouldn't get drunk and forfeit my renewed love affair with beer; got shorter and shorter and shorter. I think y'all get the gist. Wasn't long before the onset of Incomprehensible, pitiful, demoralization. I was drunk and stuck in the endless cycle again.

Once again I want to stress that this was my experience. I have no idea if anyone else would have a similar experience. I just know this was mine. Your mileage may vary.

Do what you want with the information that I provided about my experience. Might be a case of take what you need and leave the rest, but to digress a bit and talk about myself some more, when have I ever been a good judge of what I needed? My specialty has always been getting and hearing what I want, not what I need, but that is just me, don't know about anybody else.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:19 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Santi27 View Post
Good to hear. I remember in the early 2000s there was hardly anything on offer. In Spain non-alcoholic beer represents about 15% of sales in our beer market.
That’s good to hear for future visits. My last visit there in October 2018 was my last (ever) big drinking session ☹️

Apparently Spain comes out on top when it comes to liver transplants. I don’t know if this is due to a better donor system or other factors, but it shows there is an element of an alcohol problem there too just as in most countries.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:28 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I’m probably a bit blasé about alcohol free beer. It works for me, but who knows? I might relapse one day and the alcohol free may be a factor. Like all ex-drinkers, I’ll have to be careful for the rest of my days. Likewise, for anyone who’s wary of alcohol free beer, that’s cool too. Whatever keeps us away from the real stuff is the correct way.

Another forum I used would criticise posters for drinking alcohol free, which I think is wrong. You can’t have a one size fits all approach. As long as we’re not drinking, whatever method works.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:42 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
I’ll probably get told off for this, but I still cook some dishes with alcohol. It’s not true that all alcohol evaporates away, but the amount I’m likely to ingest is equivalent to an egg cup of beer. That’s not for everyone, I know, but I’m talking once every two months.

you had to go there

Obviously there are some strong feelings on both sides.

I ended up taking a fairly hard line and I'm OK with that.

I believe its part of the reason why me who couldn't go 3 days sober is 12 years plus sober now.

I enjoy drinking things that don't remind me of the bad old days. I'm not worried about not fitting in - past that,

I don't miss alcohol in cooking - on the contrary I think it allows the other flavours the opportunity to come forward.

Everyone has to mark their own boundary.

My only caveat is this is a newcomers forum and, in that light, I'd ask everyone to share responsibly.

D
Old 06-19-2019, 04:55 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

👍 I did say not all the alcohol evaporates so thanks for showing the chart.

Agree, it’s not ideal for everyone, so if anyone’s wary, steer clear. A few weeks ago, I had to buy a bottle of cider to cook with. I only needed half of it so poured the rest away. I’m not particularly worried about being around alcohol, but I think that scenario is best avoided.

As I say, each to their own, as long as we’re not drinking or encouraging others to do so.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:09 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Nez nailed it. And, it is definitely NOT the only story that went like that which I have heard.

And, thank you Dee- that chart is saved somewhere.

And....I've got to add that the back and forth over availability of NA beer here and there and so on is....not a great thing for the Newcomers forum. My alcoholic mind would use ANYTHING to justify anything, not just literally drinking, so running with even what others don't intend as a "suggestion" could be .... quite possible for, say, the lurkers here.

Just my $0.02....carry on friends.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:05 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Administrator

And....I've got to add that the back and forth over availability of NA beer here and there and so on is....not a great thing for the Newcomers forum. My alcoholic mind would use ANYTHING to justify anything, not just literally drinking, so running with even what others don't intend as a "suggestion" could be .... quite possible for, say, the lurkers here.

Just my $0.02....carry on friends.
Anna and I as the mods here are sensitive to those worries, but there's nothing in this thread that breaks a rule - at least not yet. We could chuck out the rules & mod according to our likes and dislikes but it'd be a different forum then.

The wise folks who devised the rules here made it so we can encompass different points of view.

If anyone read this thread, and solely on the evidence of this thread, decided to go out and drink NA beer they'd be going against a lot of contrary advice from myself and others in the no camp...

but as adults they have the freedom to do just that...even tho that's what makes being a regular here at SR sometimes hard.

D
Old 06-19-2019, 08:51 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Different people have different reactions to this. For some people it can be very triggering, and for others it doesn't seem to be a big deal.

Interestingly I had a very bad relapse in the past which started with non-alcoholic beer, but in the last few months I've been able to drink it without it giving me any urges to drink the real thing. Weird...but hey so is the rest of life so whatever.

If you're unsure I'd stay away from it - why risk it?
Old 06-20-2019, 12:23 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post

That’s good to hear for future visits. My last visit there in October 2018 was my last (ever) big drinking session ☹️

Apparently Spain comes out on top when it comes to liver transplants. I don’t know if this is due to a better donor system or other factors, but it shows there is an element of an alcohol problem there too just as in most countries.
The main problem with transplants is the lack of available donors. Spain has a very successful donor system and the number of organ donations in relation to population size is well over double that of the UK. This perhaps explains why we come out top when it comes to liver transplants.

And yes, we also have a massive alcohol problem, just like most countries.

I hope that your next visit here is alcohol free!
Old 06-20-2019, 12:41 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nez View Post
[disclaimer: this is strictly my experience, I might be the only person in the history of mankind that will ever have this particular interaction with NA beer, but nonetheless this was how it went for me]

I loved everything about beer. The taste. The carbonation. The refreshing and quenching capabilities on a hot day. The sound of the top popping. The condensation. The anticipation of that cold honeydew vine water hitting the back of my throat. I could go on and on, but I think y'all get the gist. For me it was the perfect beverage.

After a period of sobriety during which I never found a beverage that ticked all the boxes for me like beer did, along came NA beer. Ah, the perfect solution for this beer lover. All of my sensory pleasures could once again be experienced, that plus like other people mentioned, I was good with consuming only one or two, instead of a case. I was satiated.

This went along fine for a while. I figured that my over consumption problem had been resolved because I was good with just one or two. Since that issue had been obviously dealt with I could go back to the real thing because now I was fine with consuming just one or two which was great because I wouldn't get drunk on just one or two beers and besides I never drank to get drunk anyway. Never mind the fact that every time I drank, I got drunk. It was beer's fault, it was just because I wasn't satisfied with only one or two, and now I was fine with doing that. Hooray!

This went along fine for a while. The strange thing was that the time period between the just one or two, so that I wouldn't get drunk and forfeit my renewed love affair with beer; got shorter and shorter and shorter. I think y'all get the gist. Wasn't long before the onset of Incomprehensible, pitiful, demoralization. I was drunk and stuck in the endless cycle again.

Once again I want to stress that this was my experience. I have no idea if anyone else would have a similar experience. I just know this was mine. Your mileage may vary.

Do what you want with the information that I provided about my experience. Might be a case of take what you need and leave the rest, but to digress a bit and talk about myself some more, when have I ever been a good judge of what I needed? My specialty has always been getting and hearing what I want, not what I need, but that is just me, don't know about anybody else.

I don't agree. From all of the posts in this thread, most people have a very similar experience with non-alcoholic beer to you and for that reason it's great that you have shared what happened as it will help to prevent others from going down the same road that eventually led to failure.

but to digress a bit and talk about myself some more, when have I ever been a good judge of what I needed? My specialty has always been getting and hearing what I want, not what I need, but that is just me, don't know about anybody else.

It sounds like in the end you were a good judge of what you needed. You took the advice that worked for you and are now sober.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:50 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Santi27 View Post
The main problem with transplants is the lack of available donors. Spain has a very successful donor system and the number of organ donations in relation to population size is well over double that of the UK. This perhaps explains why we come out top when it comes to liver transplants.

And yes, we also have a massive alcohol problem, just like most countries.

I hope that your next visit here is alcohol free!
Thanks. I reckon every ex-drinker has a potential trigger to relapse, so we have to be on our guard. Whilst I’ve had alcohol free trips elsewhere since I was last in Spain, visiting there next time without alcohol will be a whole new experience.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:37 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I drink decaf coffee because I like the taste of coffee, and sometimes I don't want the stimulant effects like if I want to go to sleep that night and it's late in the afternoon. Tumi alcoholic drinks for hard liquor and wine. I drank beer but it really was for the taste. I very much missed beer with Asian food and still do to a point. However I found a really good logger that's microbrew that is essentially alcohol-free and I bought two six packs of it about a year ago. I thought I would go through that fairly quickly but you know what? I have most of it left. every once in a great while I will actually take one to a Thai restaurant to have with my Thai food. One, maybe two. I've tried drinking it on its own hanging out with friends. The odd thing is I'm so over alcohol at this point and I so don't want that feeling of an alcohol buzz, even a mild one, the one I drink the alcohol free beer I finally have to stop because I don't want to get that feeling. I even stopped because I thought oh my God I have to drive!

Ifif I could take it or leave it like that, I don't really think I have a problem with it. Now vodka? No freaking way. Or red wine. Oddly enough even though I was a wine connoisseur and had several thousand dollar wine collection, I don't miss the taste of that at all.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:40 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Very interesting topic! Made me think about the liquids I consume in general. Like, if I had to make a bar chart (no pun) of 'units of liquid in one sitting' as in a glass of water, juice, milk, lemonade or wine or cocktails, or pints of beer or shots of strong stuff, then the count numbers would skyrocket for the liquids that also contain alcohol. Whereas, if I had to list drinks from tastiest to least tasty, they would without a doubt (for me) populate the bottom of the list. To me, that just shows why I consumed whatever it was that I consumed that had alcohol in it. Beer and wine aren't 'naturally great' tastes, they're acquired tastes. No one has to ponder or draw up pros and cons lists for a cool glass of clean drinking water. And as soon as you sense 'a hint of this' or 'a touch of that', you're probably wondering if it's safe to drink at all.

Which is why I am on the No side of non-alc beer. For one, beer just doesn't taste good (neither does wine for that matter). The fact that I even have to stop and consider whether it would be okay for me is an alarm bell. I don't do that with water, milk or juice - and I know, people have their reservations about milk, what with some side effects, and juice for the sugar content etc. With booze, I always drank for the effect and whenever someone dared to suggest I opt for a non-alc beer, I had one saying about beverages that pretend to be alcoholic ones: it's like taking a shower with your clothes on - you do get wet, but it's not why you went. That's still the case. Just that this time I'd be going from water to non-alc beer not from regular beer toward non-alc.

That's my personal experience and opinion and if I didn't add 'for me personally' somewhere in the post, read it as if it were there
Old 06-20-2019, 04:01 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

As the original poster I was just putting it out there. It has been suggested to me many times but as I said in the original I think it is just a gateway to wanting the real stuff. I am based in Ukraine as a journalist (or was before vodka became my full time job).
It is such a heavy drinking country that, get this, all other drinks carry the words Напий безалкольний; that translates as nonalcoholic drink. It is the very first two words in the 'small print'. Then comes rhe ingredients etc. From a can of Coke to a bottle of iced tea. Every drink sold specifies that.
That shows how bad the problem is here.
So my resolve is not to cave to pressure to drink nonalcoholic beer. It comes too close to the real thing for comfort.

Last edited by Strugglingto; 06-20-2019 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 06-20-2019, 04:19 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

And it still contains .5% alcohol. So the fact is you are still drinking alcohol just not enough to feel it
Old 06-20-2019, 04:24 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Strugglingto View Post
\
So my resolve is not to cave to pressure to drink nonalcoholic beer. It comes too close to the real thing for comfort.
im very glad to read ya make that decision. there have been a crapton more people here that have ended up worse by drinking NA beer-or anything resembling it- than those who can drink it- or anything resembling it- and not be effected.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:26 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Strugglingto View Post
As the original poster I was just putting it out there. It has been suggested to me many times but as I said in the original I think it is just a gateway to wanting the real stuff. I am based in Ukraine as a journalist (or was before vodka became my full time job).
It is such a heavy drinking country that, get this, all other drinks carry the words Напий безалкольний; that translates as nonalcoholic drink. It is the very first two words in the 'small print'. Then comes rhe ingredients etc. From a can of Coke to a bottle of iced tea. Every drink sold specifies that.
That shows how bad the problem is here.
I think you are making the right choice.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:29 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Beer was my drink I loved it . I remember in my thirties when I wanted to stop I would go out and drink NAs worked for 3 nights the 4 th I said screw up give me a Bud. The NAs tasted awful.; Now I really wouldn’t care if they tasted just like real beer. I know where they would take me.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:45 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I think that's great additional posting, Strugglingto - your thinking is sound and questioning is a good thing, always

I'd also add that one thing I personally think about is the time between x decision (ie, starting with an occasional NA beer)....and the sneaky eventual problem. Much like so many people have just one drink...a few times or for x amount of time....and if they are alcoholics like me, that just doesn't work forever.

The multiple drink thing also made me smile, kk1 - it's become a running joke with my husband (and friends at my restaurant industry recovery mtg) about how many drinks I have on hand at a time. The sparkling water with lime is indeed its own addiction and other than the fact that I pee all.the.time, I am fine with it!! Generally there's a coffee in the morning and a diet lemonade and/or diet coke along with the water later in the day. And I always have extra water on hand. Regular water for exercise

It's totally a habit somewhat related to anxiety, like my obsessive need for chapstick, and it's just...normal, for me!
Old 06-20-2019, 04:59 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

This type of thread comes up about every 6 weeks, and I always give the same answer.

No, don't drink NA Beer.