Notices

Nonalcoholic beer

Old 06-19-2019, 05:16 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I special order NA beer, specifically IPAs from two different breweries that only produce NA beverages. What they provide me is a canned beverage that looks like beer, tastes like beer, but it is actually packed with vitamins and hydration. The product is not at all like the "big box" NA beers such as "O'Dohls"...as I find that crap to be....crap. This stuff is more like an herbal beverage. This has never been a trigger for me, and I only indulge in it on special occasions.

What works for me won't always work for others.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:35 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My addiction to alcohol is / was psychological rather than physical. I have realised since giving up that I was as much in love with the idea of it as I was the reality.

So for me N/A beers have been a total lifesaver. That time of the day when I would normally have been thinking about starting on the first of eight tins of lager, I now have a bottle of N/A stuff instead, and I never have more than two because I never want more than that.

Likewise, if I'm in a pub I immediately feel more relaxed and at home if I have a glass of N/A beer in front of me. Again, it's partly psychological, but to be honest, I don't want a glass of something fizzy and sweet; I want a proper grown-up drink, and on that note, I've been thrilled to discover that there's a huge variety of N/A beers (like an idiot, I used to sneer at them) and by and large they're of very high quality.

I totally get that your mileage may vary on this, but for me they work.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:57 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Incidentally, on a recent and admittedly very brief trip to the US, I found N/A beers in fairly short supply*. Several bars I visited didn't serve it at all, and the two stores local to my hotel only stocked one variety. Here in the UK it seems to be a bit of a booming market and there are plenty on offer.

*Could be I was just unlucky.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:59 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Not for this Alkie.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:28 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MarkstheSpot View Post
My addiction to alcohol is / was psychological rather than physical. I have realised since giving up that I was as much in love with the idea of it as I was the reality.

So for me N/A beers have been a total lifesaver. That time of the day when I would normally have been thinking about starting on the first of eight tins of lager, I now have a bottle of N/A stuff instead, and I never have more than two because I never want more than that.

Likewise, if I'm in a pub I immediately feel more relaxed and at home if I have a glass of N/A beer in front of me. Again, it's partly psychological, but to be honest, I don't want a glass of something fizzy and sweet; I want a proper grown-up drink, and on that note, I've been thrilled to discover that there's a huge variety of N/A beers (like an idiot, I used to sneer at them) and by and large they're of very high quality.

I totally get that your mileage may vary on this, but for me they work.
Have to agree. Each to their own, but I don’t see the problem.

I’m alcohol dependent so I stopped drinking. I can go out with friends to bars and watch them drink into double figures, but they know I don’t drink. The urge to drink sometimes appears, but it’s much weaker and rarer now.

I find water rather dull, and fizzy drinks too sugary, unhealthily so. I enjoy the taste of some varieties of alcohol free beer, so I’ll drink it. I see no connection between alcohol free beer and the real stuff I drank in the bad old days.

As I say, I’ve no fear of being around alcohol, so if I pick up a friend’s real beer and smell it, it’s a totally different drink to my alcohol free variety.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:42 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Incidentally, on a recent and admittedly very brief trip to the US, I found N/A beers in fairly short supply*. Several bars I visited didn't serve it at all, and the two stores local to my hotel only stocked one variety. Here in the UK it seems to be a bit of a booming market and there are plenty on offer.

In Spain I think it's even better than in the UK, at least in Madrid. Many bars have non-alcoholic beer on draught. If you get the chance try Mahou tostada, which is a non alcoholic malt beer. I don't remember non alcoholic beer being big when I lived in the UK, though that's over 15 years ago now.

I've never wanted to have more than 2 or 3 non alcoholic beers in the same way that I've never wanted to have more than two or three cokes or lemonade. It's maybe because wine has always been my poison that I don't make the connection between beer with alcohol and beer without alcohol. That said, I can totally understand the feelings of other people who don't want to drink non alcoholic beer and I'm equally sure that they can totally understand that we all have different opinions.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:54 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

To each their own on this one! My only concern would be that if you need to ask then perhaps it's not for you. Kinda cool how Whodey enjoys them. I know for me it's a no thank you but it's not because of any concern, more just because I only drank too get drunk, not for flavor or anything else.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:58 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Strugglingto View Post
Anyone tried this? I was told it is a no-no for an alcoholic because it is just a gateway to going back to drinking. Because the taste and smell is enough. True or false?
doesnt matter what anyone else things. whats important is what you think and if youre asking you probably have reservations about walking into temptation.
do you want to risk your past becoming your present and your future to be worse?

would ya recommend noncrack crack to this ex crackhead?
Old 06-19-2019, 07:59 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'm a Brit living in the USA and have heard the same from friends here who seek it when they're trying to take a 'break' from alcohol. Definitely doesn't seem to be a thing here, well not where we live anyway.

Off topic, but your avatar fills me with joy. 'Take your pocket money and GET OUT!'
Old 06-19-2019, 08:03 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Santi27 View Post
In Spain I think it's even better than in the UK, at least in Madrid. Many bars have non-alcoholic beer on draught. If you get the chance try Mahou tostada, which is a non alcoholic malt beer. I don't remember non alcoholic beer being big when I lived in the UK, though that's over 15 years ago now.

I've never wanted to have more than 2 or 3 non alcoholic beers in the same way that I've never wanted to have more than two or three cokes or lemonade. It's maybe because wine has always been my poison that I don't make the connection between beer with alcohol and beer without alcohol. That said, I can totally understand the feelings of other people who don't want to drink non alcoholic beer and I'm equally sure that they can totally understand that we all have different opinions.
it’s catching on here in the UK. Nothing on tap, but Becks Blue is stocked in most bars now.

When I was a drinker, alcohol free beer was an alien concept. Now I’ve given up, it’s just what I drink every now and then.

Alcohol free wine doesn’t work for me. It just tastes terrible 😕
Old 06-19-2019, 08:29 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NerfThis View Post
I'm a Brit living in the USA and have heard the same from friends here who seek it when they're trying to take a 'break' from alcohol. Definitely doesn't seem to be a thing here, well not where we live anyway.

Off topic, but your avatar fills me with joy. 'Take your pocket money and GET OUT!'
A fellow fan!
Old 06-19-2019, 09:24 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I believe with NA beer. Your sitting way too close to the fire , bar too little words on the label. You v got a beer in your hand.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:44 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Why do you think that? I’m not disagreeing, I’m just curious.

I don’t drink anymore. I never will, but I’m suspicious of certain groups giving advice in black and white. I’ve been told to avoid friends who drink and bars. I’ve no problem with either. I’ll buy my friends a beer if they want.

Likewise, I was told to avoid alcohol free beer, but I’ve seen no research that drinking this causes relapses in ex-drinkers.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:20 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I've been told to avoid bars, avoid being around alcohol, stop being friends with people who drink, etc etc etc.

To ME, and for ME, that's all nonsense.

I understand that SOME people on here cannot walk past a bar without being tempted to drink. Some people on here can't be next to a glass of wine without chugging it. That's not ME. I can do all those things. All my friends drink. I can hang out at bars. I can hang out around drunks. I'm fine with all that. I don't drink because I don't want to drink. Period, enough said. I don't have "triggers".
Old 06-19-2019, 11:05 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

^^^That's great. It's also early for you, and as I went along I found different things were ok, not ok, etc.

I don't believe in the word triggers, either, and I don't have fear of going anywhere or doing anything. Doesn't mean I want to or it's good for me to xyz.

My world is one where the better actual (ie concrete) choice is always the right one, and upon examination maybe that will change. Ex, I flipped out at the first dinner party I went to, about 7 mo sober, when I learned that the wonderful squid appetizer I had was boiled in wine. Lesson- ingesting alcohol even in food form was a no go for me. Fast forward to almost exactly two years later and I was served risotto and thought I could taste the wine. I didn't freak out, but I did stop eating it. No prob.

I always say it so I will throw it in again- the choice that takes you (literally or emotionally) further away from a drink rather than (possibly) closer to one is always the better bet.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:10 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I’ll probably get told off for this, but I still cook some dishes with alcohol. It’s not true that all alcohol evaporates away, but the amount I’m likely to ingest is equivalent to an egg cup of beer. That’s not for everyone, I know, but I’m talking once every two months.

Old 06-19-2019, 01:02 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
I’ll probably get told off for this, but I still cook some dishes with alcohol. It’s not true that all alcohol evaporates away, but the amount I’m likely to ingest is equivalent to an egg cup of beer. That’s not for everyone, I know, but I’m talking once every two months.

I do the same. And probably once every month to two months if that.
I also still comfortably go to bars and live in a house that contains alcohol because my husband drinks (in moderation)

My alcohol issue was that I would drink socially on a Friday and more often than not, would end up still drinking heavily from early Saturday until late Sunday. A lot of the time I'd happily have one drink with a meal when out with no effort to even try to moderate, because I didn't need to try.

On the weekend it was a different story. It was party and binge time, followed by depression and regret.

I believe the amount people need to avoid alcohol is dependent on how far into the disease they were when they decided enough was enough and how really committed they are to 'enough is enough' idea. A lot of people mention being in ER multiple times, nearly dying etc, needing AA and partners who don't drink. None of those things happened to me. Maybe if they had, I'd need to live in a dry house and never see my friends or ever cook with alcohol.

I do however think if I actually drank something that tasted like alcohol and was made to simulate drinking I'd be putting myself at risk, as it would very clearly remind me of those binge weekends.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:08 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Cooking is a personal thing and for me (and my husband) it just wouldn't happen. We'd have to buy alcohol in the first place

This topic is always a good one for me as I work in the restaurant group and lead a recovery group for us industry folks. So things like bartenders who taste bitters and end up drinking bottles (true story) or chefs who start with taste testing their food that turns into [ ] .... common.

Intent and awareness can be sneaky - so many people talk about not realizing they were setting themselves up for a relapse by this "little" stuff, until they had started drinking (and generally, if they stopped, again and looked at what really happened). I know I could have justified ANYTHING when I wanted to keep drinking.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:08 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post

it’s catching on here in the UK. Nothing on tap, but Becks Blue is stocked in most bars now.

When I was a drinker, alcohol free beer was an alien concept. Now I’ve given up, it’s just what I drink every now and then.

Alcohol free wine doesn’t work for me. It just tastes terrible 😕
Good to hear. I remember in the early 2000s there was hardly anything on offer. In Spain non-alcoholic beer represents about 15% of sales in our beer market.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:18 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Some people can drink alcohol sensibly and never have problems.

Some of us can't control our alcohol consumption and it causes us serious problems.

Some people manage to give up and never drink again.

Of those who give up, some drink alcohol-free beer and don't relapse.

Others drink alcohol-free beer and it leads them down a certain road and they relapse and start drinking again.

Others can't drink alcohol-free beer as the similarity to real beer is too painful.

Others can't go to bars and can't continue friendships with people who drink (including friends who don't have an alcohol problem) as any contact with alcohol is just too painful and could lead to a relapse.

Everybody who suffers from this awful problem does so for different reasons.

Everybody who has beaten this problem has done so with one of the solutions or a blended solution from the wide spectrum of options available.

The problem isn't black and white, nor can the solutions be.

All advice is welcome, the trick is to decide which advice works for you.