Notices

I don't know what to title this. I don't care.

Old 05-30-2019, 04:09 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by WhoDeyPI View Post
I'm currently single....so....what YOU doin?! jkkkk
Me2...but I suspect you don't play on my team LOL.

I'm reading something slightly differently than many of these responses. Sure, there MAY be an element of AV here, but it sounds like there's something else as well. More like you crave novelty, of setting out on a journey not knowing (or caring) what happens or where you end up. I can relate to this, I'm a new experience junkie, and have sometimes found a sober life to be fulfilling...but not scratching the itch of novelty and adrenaline rush. Fortunately the idea of drinking doesn't appeal in the slightest, particularly as a means of getting back there. I get there with real and internet/virtual travel and imagining places. Losing myself in live music, although it takes a bit more effort now than when I was full of alcohol and/or molly and/or blow and/or shrooms, which describes 8 Coachellas pretty accurately. Soberchella is much more satisfying and I don't miss wandering around half out of my mind, but I do miss that...abandon.

A little bit of mild sexual misadventure helps me here as well, to be honest. Just in general exploring any sort of relationships with new people is someone out of control, as I've learned to put myself out there without expecting anything in return. The results have been fantastic, and have far surpassed the novel relationships I forged when I was drinking.

I'm still looking for other outlets, I need to volunteer somewhere, possibly with addict youth at risk here in South LA. They need all the help they can get. Maybe something else.

I don't think you should ignore this need, but instead explore it while setting a boundary that this "out of control" quest need not, and WILL not, involve any sort of intoxication. Find what works for you. My sobriety is dependent on avoiding the negative consequences that my addictions brought to my life, which were extensive. But just as important to me is the positives that sobriety brings. Feeling good, feeling present, health and vitality, stamina. It feels so good, sometimes almost to the point of euphoria, that any sort of intoxication pales in comparison. Maybe if you explore solving your boredom issues and take drinking off the table you'll find something truly remarkable.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:12 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhoDeyPI View Post
Thinking about the last time I felt totally out of control....

If I can't shake this feeling I might get all adventurous and go to my first AA meeting
I didn't know you hadn't tried AA.

I have not been bored in AA, in large part because we try to help others who are similarly afflicted.

I think it is also extremely important to choose and follow a plan of recovery.

For me, AA has given me the plan and the structure to stay sober.

As an aside, I was in your city last weekend at the car races - always a great time for me.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:25 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

if you lost interest in the things you once liked doing and you have been sober awhile, sometimes it can be the result of PAWS and will subside in time. You might experience waves of negative emotions at points throughout your recovery and sometimes getting a little bit of help through them can make these moments more manageable. AA recognizes these critical points in recovery and provides people with sobriety chips to commemorate these milestones.

its easier to deal with the symptoms of PAWS if you understand it a little better. Maybe do some research on it?
Old 05-31-2019, 10:42 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

What's poppin today WDP?
Old 05-31-2019, 11:33 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
What's poppin today WDP?
Just getting a few things done at the office. Ready for the weekend....it has been a long week, but my mood is very positive today. Ready to get outside tomorrow and enjoy the nice weather. Might be too hot to do much hiking...I'm thinking I'll hang poolside most of the day.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:16 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Struggled a little over the weekend. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out anything to do on Saturday, and all my friends were "busy". Drinking flashed across my mind very briefly, but quickly faded. Just wasn't an option. Drinking is failure, and failure is never an option. Had a good little Sunday, am I'm in great spirits today!
Old 06-03-2019, 11:34 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Great job not drinking. Maybe amend your plan to include some new activities / hobbies for the next few weekends. Pick something you have always wanted to do but never "had time" for.

You have time now
Amazing how much time drinking burns, isn't it?
Old 06-03-2019, 11:40 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Great job not drinking. Maybe amend your plan to include some new activities / hobbies for the next few weekends. Pick something you have always wanted to do but never "had time" for.

You have time now
Amazing how much time drinking burns, isn't it?
Drinking does indeed burn a lot of time. Damage from drinking indeed burns a lot of money in medical bills. So I try to limit my hobbies to things that don't cost a lot.

I was supposed to go skydiving for my birthday a few weeks back, but couldn't come up with the $200. Medical debt is eating me alive!