# 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Free
I'm not sure what this refers to?

D
Old 06-02-2019, 01:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

They do exist and people can buy them but not sure what your post is about? Hope your doing good Free xx
Old 06-02-2019, 01:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Free. Are you meaning you have to have had a DUI to be able to get an i terlock device.?
I was court oredered one for a year after a dui.
I suppose you could buy one without a DUI if you want to drive safely but it costs a fortune here in Australia.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks snooze q

I went to a baseball game last night and the gentleman that picked me up had an ignition interlock system. The first thing he said is “oh this? This was from an accident that I got a reckless driving for but I wasn’t drinking any alcohol at all and of quote and then in the next sentence or two he says “why, I haven’t touched a drop since!” He said “I was texting and driving and that’s why they make me have this breathalyzer ignition switch”

No one earns a low salary and buys one for the heck.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So in my experience they can be court ordered, put in as part of a custody arrangement, or even by an employer such as a restaurant (I've known bartenders who had to do this). Generally, there IS some kind of offense, whether reckless driving (in GA, that typically means getting pulled over for anything and when you blow, you're below the legal limit but can be deemed dangerous - in other states an OUI usually means the car is turned on, you're in it but not even in the driver's seat, and you've been drinking).

Your radar is probably correct that there's more to the story - and it's his biz, really. I'd probably not ride with him- regardless.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

To be fair, as long as he is sober while driving you around then it’s not anyone’s business. He doesn’t have to admit to anyone if he is or isn’t an alcoholic. In type that sounds harsh lol but it’s not meant to! Guess what I am saying is in here we always encourage each other to tell people if you want to but just because someone asks doesn’t mean you have to confess all. You tell who you want, when you want to. x
Old 06-02-2019, 05:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Just thinking and I don’t tell anyone that I had a DUI. I am thoroughly ashamed of it and unless you are another alcoholic I probably wouldn’t admit what really happened. If it’s totally unavoidable I lie myself and say I got caught the morning after a big night out, not that I drank a full bottle of red wine and for some reason thought it was ok to drive my car! I still can’t believe I was that stupid but people who haven’t had a drink problem don’t understand how someone could do that ever so I prefer not to discuss it at all with normies or people I don’t know and trust x
Old 06-02-2019, 05:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!

I guess I’m of the mindset since I never asked and I didn’t even notice it, is that you just don’t say anything if you don’t want to talk.

He said he got the breathalyzer for texting and talking and he texted while he was driving with me in the car anyway. I just don’t like lies and I think it’s a bad way to start a potential relationship with someone. Better to be honest and just say something like “oh this? I’ll talk to you about this some other time”

Just smells fishy, it’s either fish or rotten😳😩
Old 06-02-2019, 06:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Is this someone you were considering as a romantic interest?

Did you discuss your own alcohol problem?

Trust unfolds slowly, maybe he's embarrassed? I mean, no way to hide a breathalyzer - so at least your spidey senses were alerted.

In my state I could do a search for arrests.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, I told him that after my daughter’s accident I was self-medicating for at least 15 years and I was killing myself. And that’s why I don’t drink anymore.

I am still amazed I never got a DUI because I certainly deserved one.

It is a chapter of my life that yes, I’m embarrassed about, and I cannot change it, I can only accept it that it happened, and move forward.

I don’t announce it to the world, but I don’t come out with lies just to hide it—Especially if no one inquires in the first place.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

i think a real simple solution is to make that the last date you have with this person. no need to break your brain trying to figure out "the truth". enough red flags on this one!
Old 06-02-2019, 08:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes. Done first thing this AM. I had googled the ignition interlock rules for each state to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, but my Spidey sense was absolutely correct
Old 06-02-2019, 10:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Have you ever just Googled his name, if his name was in the paper for an arrest or court it will be easy to find.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

He’s out, but I did when I got home from game. The state I live in is huge, so it is difficult to find a DUI or anything like that. I just trusted my instincts and went with them.

It’s so nice to be sober and to be able to have accurate radar.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

The interlock itself would not have bothered me, as I had one myself, after I got sober, because of a DUI I got on the last day I ever drank. The lie, on the other hand, would be a deal-breaker. If someone told me they had one for anything other than a DUI, I'd straight up ask them if they were telling me the truth. I'd explain that I had one, and know what it's for, and why I had it. And if I got the same answer after that, I'd probably bow out of the friendship gracefully. No time in my life for people who lie to me. I think I'd leave the whole thing with a statement along the lines of "if you think you have a drinking problem and want some help finding a meeting or treatment, look me up."