Notices

Trying to get sober in secret

Old 04-09-2019, 09:11 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

"I have a stomach problem and the doctors recommend that I don't drink".

Done.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:31 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Amazing messages

Hi LouLou,
Day 4, great work! I'm on day 5, and notice that I'm not experiencing cravings, as I always do. I think my doing the keto diet is lessening my pre diabetes symptoms, and so the cravings are absent. With that in mind, you can say the likely truth that you are avoiding diabetes. Just a thought.
We're with you!!
Old 04-10-2019, 02:10 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Milliesgone View Post
Im doing ok but it's really weekends for me that are a problem. I'm feeling positive though and looking forward to saving a huge amount of calories and cash

Are you in the UK?
Hi Millie,
Yes im in the UK. And in total agreement - weekends are very hard as they are so strongly associated with letting go and doing what you want. But accomplishing my first day sober on a Saturday was very encouraging so I’m sure you must feel the same. I’m finding that reading is helping enormously to put me in the right frame of mind. I’ve just finished ‘Blackout’ and before that I read ‘the unexpected joy of being sober’. I love reading but never bothered for years as I was too drunk and would never remember anything I had read! This site has also been amazing to have personal support. I really do thank everyone who has replied to me. Keep in touch Millie - would be great to see how you are getting on as we are on a similar timeframe
Old 04-10-2019, 02:14 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RobinPeaceful View Post
Hi LouLou,
Day 4, great work! I'm on day 5, and notice that I'm not experiencing cravings, as I always do. I think my doing the keto diet is lessening my pre diabetes symptoms, and so the cravings are absent. With that in mind, you can say the likely truth that you are avoiding diabetes. Just a thought.
We're with you!!
Thank you Robin Peaceful,
As with Millie, we are on a similar timeframe so would be great to know how you are getting on. It’s so wonderful to have encouragement here from both people who have just embarked on sobriety and also those who are a far way in and can advise on the pitfalls. Thaw fact that there is so much encouragement from experienced people speaks volumes about the rewards by carrying on. Thank you all so much
Old 04-10-2019, 08:50 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Unfortunately my first Saturday I was extremely unwell with anxiety so passed without me knowing lol.
I will be looking for those books in Audible tomorrow I think as I can listen to it at work.

I have to say this afternoon I have found myself thinking about wine, so I'm forcing myself to go to an exercise class tonight instead of sitting and watching TV.

It is great having people around that totally get it
Old 04-10-2019, 10:50 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Unfortunately my first Saturday I was extremely unwell with anxiety so passed without me knowing lol.
I will be looking for those books in Audible tomorrow I think as I can listen to it at work.

I have to say this afternoon I have found myself thinking about wine, so I'm forcing myself to go to an exercise class tonight instead of sitting and watching TV.

It is great having people around that totally get it
Well done you!! I’ve also been thinking about it today now that I’m feeling a bit better physically. Keep wondering whether maybe I can cut down and just have the odd one. Must remember the reason I’m doing this. Husband just said to me “I’m going to the shop. Do you want a bottle of wine for tonight?” Can’t believe I said no. I know that if I even have one glass i’ll go back to the shop later to buy another and end up drinking two bottles.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:24 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Loulou30 View Post

Well done you!! I’ve also been thinking about it today now that I’m feeling a bit better physically. Keep wondering whether maybe I can cut down and just have the odd one. Must remember the reason I’m doing this. Husband just said to me “I’m going to the shop. Do you want a bottle of wine for tonight?” Can’t believe I said no. I know that if I even have one glass i’ll go back to the shop later to buy another and end up drinking two bottles.
This is why is is important to get honest with your husband. Because there will come a day when he asks you if you want a bottle of wine and you will say yes. You will be without any defense. You are already debating if you can have one.

I was completely powerless over my addiction to alcohol. I would swear off if it. I am never touching it again! And that evening, or the next day, sometimes I would make it to the next week(!) I would end up with a glass in my hand. Because i had no defense against that first drink. My willpower only lasted so long until I caved in. And once the first drink was in me, the phenomenon of craving kicked in and I could not stop. 1 was too many. 10 was not enough.

Im my experience I had to tell the people around me that I was quitting drinking. I had to because it was going to kill me. To be honest, the closet people to me knew I had a problem anyway and were relieved when I said it but I HAD to I could not have done it on my own. Then I had to find a defence against that first drink. There are many ways, we are all different here but I went to AA , I prayed when the cravings came, I prayed to a power greater than me to not pick up a drink. Then I contacted other alcoholics or went to an AA meeting which took the power out of the drinking thoughts. Left too long in your head it will become an obsession and you will end up picking up.

You have to do whatever it takes hon. It is the only way.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:29 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Same as me! Im an all or nothing kind I'm afraid.
Sadly I used to think what's the point in one glass of wine...now it's what's the point in one bottle.

I'm having a hot chocolate instead.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:35 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Welldone on saying no. Maybe you could tell him you are taking a break from it. My partner has disposed of the wine I bought at the weekend. He doesn't drink at all so that's easier. I've also told my parents I'm stopping for a while. Everyone is bring really supportive so far.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:12 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I am now using that I was diagnosed with migraine headaches directly related to alcohol.

Ends the conversation...hopefully.

I stole this from one of our ingenious members.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:20 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Loulou, how are you getting on? I hope all is well.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:16 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I tried a lot of times to stop in secret.

that never worked out for me.

i needed to acknowledge to everyone around me that I was choosing to live in sobriety and I needed to embrace the support of others in sobriety.

the secret attempts were miserable, demoralizing, confusing and sometimes even scary. I was all alone.

im glad I gave up secrecy.

publicly choosing sobriety for over five years has worked out a million times better.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:35 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
I tried a lot of times to stop in secret.

that never worked out for me.

i needed to acknowledge to everyone around me that I was choosing to live in sobriety and I needed to embrace the support of others in sobriety.

the secret attempts were miserable, demoralizing, confusing and sometimes even scary. I was all alone.

im glad I gave up secrecy.

publicly choosing sobriety for over five years has worked out a million times better.
I know you’re right but somehow I just can’t come clean with everyone right now. I’m pretty sure it will be obvious to those who know me well anyway. My husband has stopped offering me wine. Although I haven’t come out and told him how much I’ve been struggling, I’ve told him I really need to stop for a while to get some mental clarity. Thanks for the support
Old 04-12-2019, 03:37 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Loulou, how are you getting on? I hope all is well.
Hi Millie,
I have really really struggled today. Terrible mood swings and tiredness. Massive cravings but haven’t given in. We’re almost at the 1 week point!! Hooray! How are you getting on? Hope you are finding things easier
Old 04-12-2019, 11:39 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Morning!
Yes all good here, glad you are too.

Today is the challenge for me. I have a family celebration this evening that would usually include getting very drunk. I've prewarned a few but as I'm on medication I shouldn't be drinking anyway.

Keep strong we can do this x
Old 04-13-2019, 01:30 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Morning!
Yes all good here, glad you are too.

Today is the challenge for me. I have a family celebration this evening that would usually include getting very drunk. I've prewarned a few but as I'm on medication I shouldn't be drinking anyway.

Keep strong we can do this x
You’ve got this Millie! The first time will be the hardest - after you’ve done it once tonight each social event will be easier. You’ve got the added reassurance that you can’t drink as your on meds at the moment. Rooting for you! I’m feeling much more positive today. I’ve realised that what I should have done last night was go for a run or have a bath or something instead of pacing around in a grump and eating my way through to contents of my cupboards!

Keep my updated and have fun tonight. Imagine how good you’ll feel waking up without a hangover tomorrow when everyone else will be holding their heads saying “what did I do last night”!!
Old 04-13-2019, 02:09 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

"No thanks, drinking is soooooo 2004." That usually shuts 'em up. Make them feel they're out of step with the zeitgeist.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:35 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm going to try that one, Outonthetiles.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:44 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Half way through the work week and all going well. I even stood outside the pub with everyone and had a soda water - it helped that three others also weren’t drinking. Millie - I hope you’re ok?
Old 04-21-2019, 09:42 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I would strongly recommend that you pick and work a plan of recovery instead of seeing what you can do on your own.

Very few alcoholics can succeed without help of some sort.