Notices

Paws and cbd

Old 03-29-2019, 04:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Paws and cbd

Hello everyone,

i just had had a simple and quick question to ask. Some people may look at marijuana different then other and some might look at it in a negative way. Anyways my question is, has anyone while going threw paws used cbd or marijuana. By using marijuana did it help or did it affect the paws symptoms more or less. I know that when you resort back to drinking your symptoms will be even worse and prolong your healing process. Would smoking some pot revert you back to day one of paws even though it’s pot and not alcohol. It may be a stupid question but I just wanted to ask. I never been hooked on weed but have definitely used it before and I’m not wanting to take up smoking pot now that I can’t drink but I just wanted to know if anyone had experience with that.
Thank you
Old 03-29-2019, 04:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used pot for about 30 years and it led me down the same dark path that alcohol later led me - and it took me a lot longer to recover from its effects than alcohol - so I don't recommend that for anyone who's had any kind of addictive issue, or any kind of PAWs.

I have no experience whatsoever with CDB oil.

If it was me and you're really set on the idea, I'd be working through that idea with a doctor otherwise it's just self medication, which is what got you, and most of us, in trouble in the first place.

I'm gonna be straight with you tho Blake.
Throwing drugs at a problem like PAWs (protracted wthdrawal from another susbstance) is kinda like throwing lit matches at a puddle of gasoline to me.

Why not investigate another approach - nutrition, exercise, meditation and relaxation techniques for health (and general) anxiety?

D
Old 03-29-2019, 04:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Well, you could try CBD and see if it helps. I wouldn't throw weed at it.
Old 03-29-2019, 05:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I looked back on your threads...brain fog and PAWS are the predominant topics. I think fixating on PAWS is counter productive to recovery.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just a reminder folks - experience only, no medical advice or recommendations - and always good to remember where we are

It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.
Dee
SR
Old 03-29-2019, 06:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree with Carl, serious fixation on PAWS and related issues. Think you need to start working out.

​​​​​
Old 03-29-2019, 06:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

back in the day there was no such thing as PAWS. it was called recovery and you just gutted it out and got thru it.

i am not saying that PAWS is not a thing....only that the road to recovery is not easy, it's bumpy, it's not always fun, we are ceasing to feed our bodies a substance that our bodies have come to depend upon. the healing process takes time. lots and lots of time. the trick is to not pick up no matter what.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Blake. I agree with what everyone here has said, especially about PAWS simply being part of recovery. If you are experiencing strong withdrawal symptoms, I’d talk to a doctor about a structured detox. I don’t know about CBD oil for this situation. It’s been working wonders applied topically to my skin though! But I digress. When marijuana became legal here, I got my card and justified using it for anxiety, including for early alcohol withdrawals. But my experience was similar to Dee’s and I ended up with a different problem. Then I went back to alcohol to deal with the marijuana withdrawals! I have a friend who uses pot for anxiety and she’s a total stoner now. Thinks she’s being sneaky with her odor free vape pen, even pulls it out in restaurants or while driving. She’s going downhill fast.

I think it’s best to stick it out, use exercise and mindfulness like yoga and meditation.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ive never smoked pot and have no intention of starting for any reason, however Ive been researching CBD oil for anxiety.

Its not addictive.

Seems the only issues are with effectiveness and quality control.

Might work. Might be a total rip off
Old 03-29-2019, 10:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have tried CBD oil for pain (eg headaches, minor aches and pains from working on my feet all day, etc). It has worked well for me. It's a good idea to get the stuff with no THC.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Do you think you are experiencing PAWS? What are your symptoms and how severe?
Old 03-30-2019, 10:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This past year of alcohol sobriety, I've taken to smoking in the evenings. The problem is, I'm doing a similar thing as I did with alcohol. I'd smoke until It's 2am and I pass out on the couch, or on the floor exhausted.

I have improved a lot in general, but the self-induced fog isn't a great feeling. I feel slow and sluggish, and not motivated if I smoke too much. Almost the same place as when I was drinking, but nothing debilitating; just more difficult to get tasks done... and for me, losing productivity becomes a trigger for drinking, as it's a place that booze resides in my mind.

It was initially a tool to help me sleep early on, but the addictive personality in me had me smoking more than I wanted to, especially after a scare with my mother's possible death a couple months ago.

I've since backed off of it, and feel much better. There's just more clarity in thought and simple daily things.

I used to be a proponent of marijuana, thinking it was harmless, but it can have dark aspects as well. It is legal where I live, but using to replace drinking isn't optimal imo. I feel like it has hindered my recovery process, though it has helped me stay off of alcohol for a year, it delays the thought patterns necessary to form for an individual's growth.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Would smoking some pot revert you back to day one of paws even though it’s pot and not alcohol.

id revert back to drinking like i hadnt ever stopped.

theres going to be discomfort in early recovery. there was no quick fix or anything to ease it other than go through it for me.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

PAWS is real and can be very difficult. That being said... be careful about finding a chemical fix for a problem that involves emotions. Doing this at the direction of a physician is one thing, but short of that you run the risk of falling into the trap of seeking a solution that is similar to drinking and/or using and often makes it easier to drink or use in the future.

The other advantage of finding a solution that does not involve resorting to a substance is that the distress provides some practice for when the sh*t really does hit the fan at some point in extended sobriety.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes I have used CBD oil and CBD medical flower for anxiety and insomnia. It is great. The really good oil is quite expensive, the flower is cheaper but you have to smoke it (down side of course) and it has a higher ratio of cbd to thc so I'm not a fan. I don't like the effects of THC. I use a 25 to 1 ratio cbd to thc so clearly, no high at all. The flower is more like 16 to 4 so there is a very slight effect that wears off in about 10 minutes. But nothing like the high from benzos so to me its a much better alternative. I also haven't found I build up a tolerance to CBD so the same amount is always effective.

Pot use can be a depressant. So if you are suffering from PAWS that isn't the answer. A beautiful hike is probably a far better solution.

Hang in there. Its tough. But gotta learn to deal with the good and the bad. When the dopamine starts to normalize things will get easier.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

In inpatient rehab the gallows humor amongst the meth heads, heroin junkies and us alkies and pillheads about people in recovery from weed was 'Get a REAL habit.' I realized how dangerous that attitude was in my outpatient rehab, which was at a major university and consisted of a lot of kids in their early 20s...who were having really terrible negative consequences and addiction from weed.

It's a very real thing. I think people think its "harmless" because the withdrawal symptoms are mild to nonexistent due to the incredibly long half life of THC (up to weeks) so the body has a chance to get used to the lack of THC in the receptors.

Be careful. I was drinking and taking sleeping pills to even fall asleep at the end of my drinking, and added weed oil as well...and I DID develop a tolerance to it. I loathe the weed buzz, always have, so was always trying to take just enough to minimize the feeling. The amount needed to do so without feeling the effects went up by a factor of ten over 2 years.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
In inpatient rehab the gallows humor amongst the meth heads, heroin junkies and us alkies and pillheads about people in recovery from weed was 'Get a REAL habit.' I realized how dangerous that attitude was in my outpatient rehab, which was at a major university and consisted of a lot of kids in their early 20s...who were having really terrible negative consequences and addiction from weed.

It's a very real thing. I think people think its "harmless" because the withdrawal symptoms are mild to nonexistent due to the incredibly long half life of THC (up to weeks) so the body has a chance to get used to the lack of THC in the receptors.

Be careful. I was drinking and taking sleeping pills to even fall asleep at the end of my drinking, and added weed oil as well...and I DID develop a tolerance to it. I loathe the weed buzz, always have, so was always trying to take just enough to minimize the feeling. The amount needed to do so without feeling the effects went up by a factor of ten over 2 years.

How did you get a "buzz" when theres no THC in CBD oil?
Theres nothing in it to get a buzz from.

Perhaps it was the drinking on top of sleeping pills.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's a wide variety of CBD oils - as I understand it some have THC some not.

I think, like any other medicine or supplement, if you're not involving a Dr at least do your homework first.

D
Old 03-30-2019, 05:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hmm , the only types I researched had none.

Thats what I was looking for anyway. Wouldnt touch THC
Old 03-30-2019, 07:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

He's probably talking about hash oil. Hemp derived CBD oil is legal in all 50 states because there's no psychoactive properties. Federal law was passed in December.