Notices

You can give up on me

Old 03-26-2019, 11:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

You can give up on me

Guess I just don't have it in me. I do want this. I don't rvev enjoy it. Just don't know what else to do.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm not sure what your situation is, but we won't give up on you, neither will you (Otherwise you wouldn't have posted here...).

I joined this site the same year as you, and am still in a tough spot.

Sometimes, maybe, I think it has become "wired" in us. But there are ways out if it. It may take time and patience, but it can be done. There are multiple recovery options for you out there, you just need to see them, accept them, and go through with them.

I don't know much about the programs in the US, but I am sure you can find one if you want to get out of this, and I know you want to, just like I do.

Based on your typing, I think you are currently drunk... sober up and think about it.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Don't give up! You are one of the lucky ones to be self-aware of this issue at hand and recognize it. You are down right now but tomorrow is a new day and a chance to start fresh.
I'm sorry you are in pain, here for you.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Never give up. It’s worth the fight!
Old 03-27-2019, 01:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

No one here is going to give up on you Press.
The most important thing tho, is you not giving up on yourself.

Look at what you've been doing to stay sober. Look at it critically.

is it enough? Obviously, if you're drinking agauin, it's not been aenough.
Thats not a judgement but a statement of fact.

how could it be improved?
what changes are you reluctant to commit to, permanently?
why?

what things did you start doing that you trailed off on?
why?

That's not about beating yourself up either.

I believe anyone and everyone can get and stay sober - if they find the right mix of change support and motivation

so what else can you do?
what else can you try, or try again?
how can you maintain your motivation to stay sober?

None of those are easy questions - I don;t need to know the answers - but you do.

if you commit to answering them, you'll be a long way to be back in the saddle Press

I still believe you can do this.

D
Old 03-27-2019, 05:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know you can do it.

You have to keep focus on improving your tactics and steeling through boredom and temptation.

Don't let yourself "off the hook" when things get tough.
It gets easier with every win.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Where there’s a will, there’s a way. You have the will and desire. Keep tweaking your plan, keep coming back, keep adding tools to your box. You can do it! A lot of us were lost causes. I was “most likely to be found dead on the side of a road”, and instead, I wake up with a clear head every morning and am looking forward to new experiences every day instead of the same old crappy life that revolved around alcohol and hangovers.
We are here for you.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Press,

I was a long time drinker, 30 years of my life was basically spent getting high, from one drug or another. When I came here years ago, I knew I needed to quit. I became a habitual relapser, quit for months at a time, only to convince myself that "I just don't have it in me."

What I needed to find was the true desire to be free of my addiction, let go of the illusion that getting high was benefiting me in any way. I started to make a list of everything I had lost to drugs and alcohol, and the list was long. Then I made a list of what I really wanted.

If you truly want to be free of your addiction, you can, and will find a way to stop. Make a list of the pro's and con's of your addiction, read it every day, and take significant steps to achieve your desired state of being. It will never be enough to just want it...there must be action.

Bless you on your journey...
Old 03-27-2019, 06:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

You can't quit just because it's hard.

You struggle in sobriety. Why? Cause you are looking for more in sobriety than it can deliver? I don't know. However, if you are unhappy in sobriety you need to do more than fix your drinking, you need to fix your life.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm not giving up on you and neither should you. Once I got very serious about sobriety I still had about half dozen false s tarts. I never threw in the towel, I kept going and reformulating the plan.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

You may need to make some changes in your recovery plan. What can you add to your daily life to help you stay sober? Are there new activities or people you can add to your life who will support your recovery. We won't give up on you and you must not give up on yourself.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Chin up...never give up...you aren't alone...it has taken me a very very long time since my intro to recovery to now live a very good life. I accept my relapses don't condemn myself for them. It's all a journey.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Been there! Done it. Still waiting on the t-shirt.

I felt the same way you did not long ago. Now I'm back 3 months sober.

The bottom line is you're still here and you're still trying. That counts for more than you could possibly know- so I'm here to tell you that it does really count
Old 03-27-2019, 08:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Press - Never giving up on you. I drank 30 yrs. & have 11 sober. I finally got it. You will too.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

As other's have said, we aren't giving up on you. Don't you give up on you. I fumbled along for a couple of years, tried to cut back, tried to get my life back, and then hit an accelerating downward spiral. I went to AA and committed to abstinence out of desperation. I didn't commit to the program, although I did many of the steps in my own godless way. My commitment was the key. I don't know why I could do it. I guess I never really considered it before. I went from the spiral to sobriety almost overnight. You may not know when it's going to happen, but the bottom line is that it can. The point is that you can find a way, and the paths are varied. About that only thing we recovering alcoholics share is the fact that we can never drink responsibly. We have come to realize that.

You understand the realization well enough, now you can solve this. As grim as it sounds, it's true that many alcoholics don't. I remember one recovering alcoholic say at a meeting once that whe always knew she was an alcoholic, but said she never cared, so she just kept drinking until one day, she just stopped. What's going on in such a case? Who knows? But she ended it and found a better life. She committed and found joy. Alcoholics do this. Many don't, but that doesn't mean they can't.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

3y ago, I had nothing- no one, I was alone. I thought the world had given up on me, but no- I had given up on myself. BUT when a few compassionate souls offered me support- I saw a spark of life- with hope, so I tried.

You posted here- you have hope.
Do not give up on yourself- we are walking by your side- life is a blessing.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

For me, the psychic change that was necessary to quit was the admission that I needed help. This meant spending a week at detox followed by daily AA meetings.

Help is out there when you're ready!
Old 03-27-2019, 09:24 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Don't give up. Keeping trying, and then try again.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
nez

Originally Posted by Pressmetilihurt View Post
You can give up on me
I can, but I won't. Don't give up on yourself.

I have been where you are at and can totally relate. Looking back, I am so grateful that I kept trying because recovery still exceeds my wildest expectations. I am finally comfortable in my own skin and can't wait until tomorrow because that feeling keeps improving everyday. It has been work, but I am worth it and so are you!
Old 03-27-2019, 01:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Press,

You are here and posting, that is not someone who wants to give up, that's someone reaching out for help, and I truly believe admitting you need help is the bravest thing you can do.

I also joined in 2012, and after several attempts also riety, and then failed attempts at moderation I finally got it right. I took my last drink I December 31, 2015. I was on here the next day, and have been every day since. I read,it's of recovery books, no put what I learned into action, I really worked I'm, and continue to work on mindfulness. I feel being in the moment, and only dealing with the present moment has been the biggest part of my recovery.

You can do this. What have you tried that's worked? Start there and then layer in other supports. You can do this, and sobriety is worth it. YOU are worth it.

Nobody here is giving up on you.

❤️Delilah