Notices

Super Scared - About to Detox

Old 03-25-2019, 07:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I've been there more times than I care to remember. Get through the next few days and remember them so you don't have to do them again. I documented everything in writing and keep it with me. I also have the file on my desktop so I see the icon and can add to it whenever I feel like something needs to be added.

As for a long drive to AA meetings - check out "in the rooms". It has online meetings about every two hours. Thats in addition to staying on SR. Once you start feeling better you might actually enjoy the drive to meetings. Good luck and stay strong.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:53 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Thinking of you, SoberDad - we're with you. Things will get better.
I hope so, I feel horrible at the current moment.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:06 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

SoberDad,

Welcome and good luck to you. I have been sober for 298 days as of today.
I never want to go through the process of detoxing from alcohol again. Just don't pick up a drink or pill today. Worry about tomorrow when you get there. Keep posting as much as you need.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:16 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberDad86 View Post
I hope so, I feel horrible at the current moment.
Welcome .

Glad you had an honest conversation with your doctor. That is a huge first step that most alcoholics never take.

I wish I had, I always lied about my drinking to my doctors and did my detoxes completely alone (probably why I ended up having several of them).

I don't envy what you're going through. My advice is to find something you can latch on to for awhile... if you can binge a new show, do something active, get lots of rest (depending on your responsibilities) and keep yourself distracted.

Ultimately, keep mind that the only thing that will heal what you're feeling is time spent sober.

If you're like me, the nights will be difficult and restless. The medication your doc gave you will probably help (I didn't have that).

Good luck and keep posting. Also lean into the chatroom, too -- good support there for folks in withdrawals.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:38 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hang in there SoberDad... I’ve been where you are. It is hard but you’re doing the most important thing you can and the rewards will be profound.

Jump on here for support and to read about other people’s struggle when you’re feeling sick and lonely - helped me hugely as I detoxed.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:40 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

We are here for you, SoberDad. How are you feeling?
Old 03-25-2019, 11:11 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I think I'm feeling a little better this afternoon, getting close to the 24 hour mark, so hopefully the improvements continue. I was able to eat some soup.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:25 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

That's great. It is important to stay hydrated but, lay off of caffeine and sugars. You brain needs to heal and re-adjust chemically. I did alot of reading about what alcohol does so I could help my body recover.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:48 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi SoberDad,
It gets easier. You’ve got to see the initial phase through. This is a massive cliche, but there’s a beautiful place at the end of the tunnel. Keep coming here, keep posting, sharing, Reading. Not only will it help you, but it’ll help others too. This network has been a game changer for me I absolutely rely on it. And I do agree what others said about drink vs AA. I would have travelled miles to get a drink, and gone to great lengths, you do need to feel the same about recovery, whether AA is involved or something else. Whatever works for you. Good luck, and keep us posted!
Old 03-25-2019, 11:58 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Keep Going SoberDad

I was at the same place, so brave of you to go to your doctor.

I was sober 6 years and then relapsed a couple times, now sober 200+ days. The first 2 weeks were the hardest, keep yourself busy, as others suggested drive to an AA meeting if you can, visit the online rooms, come here, listen to blogs about early sobriety, dads in sobriety, journal, rest, all of it. Just don't drink, that is your only job, do NOT drink.

And then one day you'll go a few hours in the morning without thinking about drinking, then you'll make it through an afternoon without thinking about, and pretty soon a day, it's amazing, You live, you thive, you feel good. So don't drink, talk and rest. Talk to your doctor if after 2 days you still feel like a lorazepam or mild sedative might help. They gave them to me for 2 weeks to help. I kept in contact with my doctor.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:02 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Withdrawal is an uncomfortable process, glad you are gutting it out. You'll thank yourself in a couple days.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:17 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Welcome SoberDad (like the name). What you are experiencing is uncomfortable but normal. I was a heavy, daily drinker for 25 years. I lost my job in December and so I finally had to confront the consequences of my alcohol abuse. Honestly, I could not imagine getting through 1 day or even a half day without a drink to take the edge off my anxiety.

But I didn't realize until stopping for some time that drinking was making my anxiety so much worse. Drinking had stopped working for me. I've been sober for 84 days thanks to daily check-ins on SR.

You may want to join the March 2019 group or even the April 2019 group. Every month a class starts for all those who are quitting that month. So, you will find a lot of people experiencing withdrawal symptoms (sometimes the immediate effects on your body/mind after stopping are subtle and sometimes they are quite intense). In order to get through the discomfort of withdrawal, I also read a lot about the neuroscience of alcohol addiction. I read a new book called Never Enough that explains why alcohol is an addictive substance.

Please be patient with yourself and your body. One of the main reasons people relapse is to take the edge off withdrawal symptoms. But drinking again will just keep you in the same cycle.

Sorry for the long post. I wanted to share my experience because I have been exactly where you have been. I wouldn't trade the sense of wellbeing that I am now experiencing for another drink. A whole new world opens up to me everyday.

I hope you will consider joining the March/April group or exploring other threads. My first month I was on SR five or six hours a say to get through the cravings/urges.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:10 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by listae View Post
Welcome SoberDad (like the name).

I hope you will consider joining the March/April group or exploring other threads. My first month I was on SR five or six hours a say to get through the cravings/urges.
Where is that thread located? I'd be happy to join..

and I've been on SR a tons today, mainly because I've been dealing with relentless diarrhea (sorry to be graphic) and horrible heartburn, so I have had plenty of screen time.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:15 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...art-2-a-2.html
Old 03-25-2019, 02:54 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm going in for a detox on Thursday, and I also, am scared to death.

Originally Posted by SoberDad86 View Post
I even had two drinks in the parking lot before confronting this situation.
Tell me about it. I always need a couple drinks to 'man up'. Wether it be confronting a doctor, or buying more alcohol.

For me, It's not just alcohol, also benzos. I've been taking maybe an average of maybe 30mg(!) Klonopin a day the last couple months. That is 15 2mg tablets a day, and I'm not even an exaggerating. How do I explain that? I've taken pictures of both empty and not used blisters on my phone, hoping that will 'document' it.

As D, said, in another thread, weaning off from both benzos and alcohol is hardcore stuff.

What I am scared of is;
- That they undermedicate me
- Seizures (I've had a history with them)

... to name a couple.

Once I was so shaky and anxious, I got IVed 8mg Midazolam. They couldn't understand why it didn't really work. I understood though, as I have developed an extreme tolerance...

... And please do not put me in a room on the east side of the hospital, rather across, as I am so sensitive to light when withdrawing (on the east it gets so bright as the sun shines right into the room)

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
DO NOT DRINK ON THE MEDICATION. I tried a benzo taper at home, I just drank on top of it and ended up worse.
Word.

SoberDad86, I hope (and kinda know) this goes well for the both of us.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:42 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Wow Polaroid, that sounds like a bad time my friend. I dont have much experience with benzodiazepines but my doctor only gave me 10 of the Lorazepam, so hopefully I dont even need to use all of them. I do think they are helping me make it though this more easily though, I didnt believe that they would help like at all, I thought nothing could.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:18 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome SoberDad. Best wishes to you (and you Polaroid) on your detox

I'll hope you'll both have some time to work out what comes after detox.

D
Old 03-25-2019, 05:45 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Very wise taking work off. I've actually lost jobs for showing up in the thralls of withdrawal. The profusive sweating had booze coming out through my pores. Everyone could smell it.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:22 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

SoberDad, it's VERY impressive to me that you told your Dr.
Sounds like you are out of the denial stage!
See you in the March2019 group.
Polaroid, the seizures are so scary, aren't they? I'm glad you'll be under supervision during your detox. Just be honest with them about how much medicine you have been using.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:23 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It will get better, I promise. It just takes a few days. Be sure to keep hydrated. Rest as much as you can. If your sleep is uneven, it will get better the longer you're sober.