Notices

Super Scared - About to Detox

Old 03-24-2019, 05:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Super Scared - About to Detox

So, I Just went and saw my family doctor today and told him how much I've been drinking the last couple of weeks and how much have struggled with anxiety and extreme discomfort when I'd tried to stop. I even had two drinks in the parking lot before confronting this situation. He gave me some medication and a physician's note to request the next two days off, but I find myself at home unable to cope with the idea of not having any more drinks tonight. He recommended this website as a great support system, so here I am.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. The meds you were given were likely a sedative to relieve the withdrawal anxiety. It should only take a few days to get thru the acute withdrawal.

I hope you'll develop a program for sobriety to keep you sober after the meds are gone. Support can help a lot, so come here often and read and post.

I got sober over 9 yrs ago and don't regret a minute of it.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I might add that I live in very rural community and the closest AA meetings are 30+ miles from me, so that isnt a great option either.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi SoberDad - It's great to have you join us.

I got sober by participating here & reading books about recovery. I also saw a therapist for a brief time. I felt less anxious when I talked things over here - this is a great community for encouragement & support. We've all been where you are now - we get it - and we want to help. You can do this.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Soberdad. This site really helped me. I have 10+ years sober. It does work. It does get better.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for the responses, I'm going to attempt to eat some soup or something before I make an attempt at sleeping with this medication.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, SoberDad,

I'm glad that you talked to your dr and that you are ready to stop drinking. You will find lots of support here.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've been there, like many here. Getting sober for your kids is the best thing you can do. This website along with reading, working and learning got me sober. It can do the same for you. Welcome.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, nice to have you aboard. The meds he gave you should make you sleep good. Insomnia is a big problem during detox. Do not drink on them...it will just make it harder tomorrow. It is a good idea to drink plenty of fluids and small snacks. Take the meds as directed...most detoxes take about 3 days for the physical stuff. Stay with this site, you will get great advice. Best Wishes
Old 03-24-2019, 06:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

As for AA being 30mi away...if booze were 30mi away and I wanted to drink... I'd have made the drive. I had to commit to my not drinking and put in as much,if not more, work for my sobriety. Sucks for a while and is hard as hell, but gets easier day by day..
Old 03-24-2019, 07:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Love that your do sent you here. Awesome! Hope to hear more as you go along the journey.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

SD86 - Glad you decided to get sober and join us. Post and post often. It’s truly helpful. We will be with you every step of the way.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 03-24-2019, 11:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

DO NOT DRINK ON THE MEDICATION.

I tried a benzo taper at home, I just drank on top of it and ended up worse.

Eventually I did supervised inpatient detox and rehab. It was the only thing that worked, as I was extremely sick from alcohol and sleeping pill addiction at the point of quitting.

Keep close to SR if you don't have a local support system, that's what we're here for.

And it's far scarier if you DON'T stop.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Quitting the booze and detox are both disconcerting things, so you are in the company of people who have been there before while you are posting here now and for every next step forward.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberDad86 View Post
I might add that I live in very rural community and the closest AA meetings are 30+ miles from me, so that isnt a great option either.
i got sober in rural USA. 90 mile round trip for work and 50 mile round trip for closest AA meeting. i did whatever i could to get drunk- i was willing to do whatever i had to do to get help getting sober.
some weeks i drove 650-750 miles.
well worth it,too.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You still with us SoberDad?? I hope so. How did last night go?? Don't worry about sleep issues at all. That is the least of our worries. That will correct itself in due time. Clear-headed and ready for a slow long stroll today is a victory.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Broncosys View Post
You still with us SoberDad?? I hope so. How did last night go?? Don't worry about sleep issues at all. That is the least of our worries. That will correct itself in due time. Clear-headed and ready for a slow long stroll today is a victory.
Yes, I'm here, had a fairly restless uncomfortable night. Really dealing with alot of nausea currently.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

You're awesome for making it this far SoberDad--keep going!
Old 03-25-2019, 07:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thinking of you, SoberDad - we're with you. Things will get better.