Notices

Why would you even think you could drink again?

Old 03-09-2019, 02:52 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

This is my first attempt at sobriety. I am just over 4 months sober. For me, I just can't relapse. If I do relapse one time, I'm going to relapse two times, then over and over again. I know myself. I have to make this one work. It is my one and only chance. I'm not going to blow it.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:53 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Staying. I did it for me as well. The benefits of removing the bottle has benefitted everything that involves me. My partner, health, work life everything. Being so new into my recovery I know I cant become complacent. The pink cloud has faded away and come back less intense and I know it eventually will disappear. Its a reality that I am ready to face. While its still hanging around I am preparing my toolbox so I am ready when it goes. The inner peace that I so desperately was after I have now. It is worth more than anything else that I own. While I nurture it I know this is possible. Congratulations Sassy!!!
Old 03-09-2019, 02:56 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rd2quit View Post
This is my first attempt at sobriety. I am just over 4 months sober. For me, I just can't relapse. If I do relapse one time, I'm going to relapse two times, then over and over again. I know myself. I have to make this one work. It is my one and only chance. I'm not going to blow it.
We have same length of sobriety. I am 122 days. My 3d attempt, my 3d REAL attempt. You are right. I am the same I will not have one drink EVER. Its simple as that. If I decide to have a line of coke I know where that will take me. People have had to go during my recovery. I can not afford to jeopardise this. Not this time. I know what will happen. It truly is ODATT. Well done!!
Old 03-09-2019, 05:18 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

You’re both going to make it. I can tell. . Real intent, real desire to be done with it, strong language!
Old 03-09-2019, 07:34 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

. Abstinence becomes a sign we carry around announcing that we failed, usually miserably so [at drinking].

Think about it. Drinking requires no special skills whatsoever. How big of a loser are you when you fail at that!?

ha, DriGuy, nah, i didn’t fail at drinking.
at all.
was pretty good at it, in fact.

it was the control i failed at.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:10 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
In rational recovery, there is a mantra. It gets said every day, all day, all night, at every occasion....the repetitiveness of this mantra worms it’s way into your subconscious and becomes part of you. The mantra is, “I don’t drink, no matter what, and I will never change my mind.”

Do not leave the door open!! Use language every day all day that shuts down any possibility of future drinking.

I’ve been reading here a long time. Way too many chronic relapsers saying “I want to believe it’s forever but I don’t know.” Or “it’s just for now, for now I don’t drink.” Or “I really wish I could drink and I’m pretty sure I won’t make it.”

Your subconscious is listening. Tell it your intent. Make it so. Then it will become part of you.

Anything less than “never” becomes an eventual relapse, because from day one you’re making it ok to drink again. Think this addiction isn’t too powerful to overcome a “maybe?” Think again.
I agree with this completely. Not everyone does, but it's one of those things that I feel strongly enough about to believe those who won't fully surrender to sobriety are unequivocally wrong.

"You can never say, you will not drink again," was a statement I heard in AA repeated several times by the oldest member of the group, and restated by others. He said it knowingly, and the group all nodded their heads in agreement. It too, was a mantra, and I was mortified at how easily people accepted the act of giving in. It seemed like they were paving the way for their own failure.

In that group, about half the members were constantly falling off the wagon. They would disappear for a few months and then return, often with two black eyes and multiple abrasions. The wise old timer would say, "You can never be sure you won't drink again. You are an alcoholic," and everyone would obediently nod in agreement.

Of course you can say you will never drink again. I did a week after I started AA, even in defiance of that wise old timer. I went to AA to quit, not to fall off the wagon. Drinking would be unacceptable, and if I didn't believe that old timer was dead wrong, I would have packed up and left the group.

I'd already done the self processing attempts at moderation before I got to AA. I can't remember once in the last 10 years prior when even in the misery of a hangover, I ever said I would never drink again. I knew it wasn't over, and I drank again and again.

When I finally got sick enough of watching my own downward spiral, I was so bad off, I went to AA, where I was willing to go to any lengths and willing to surrender myself to a life of sobriety. I wasn't doing this for the fellowship or the spirituality. I was there to stop drinking, because drinking was the single biggest problem in my life, and none of my other problems would I deal with without several years of sobriety under my belt. And many of those problems were there as a direct result of my drinking.

I don't understand how a plan to stop drinking should make allowances for drinking. That is the very life that causes all the problems in the first place. You can't call something new, if it's the same old thing. I wanted something new, and obviously, it had to be different than what I was already doing.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:46 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
. Abstinence becomes a sign we carry around announcing that we failed, usually miserably so [at drinking].

Think about it. Drinking requires no special skills whatsoever. How big of a loser are you when you fail at that!?

ha, DriGuy, nah, i didn’t fail at drinking.
at all.
was pretty good at it, in fact.

it was the control i failed at.
Your comment is understood, and gratefully accepted as truth.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:15 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Sassy:
Anything less than “never” becomes an eventual relapse, because from day one you’re making it ok to drink again. Think this addiction isn’t too powerful to overcome a “maybe?” Think again.

And there it is.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:52 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
I agree with this completely. Not everyone does, but it's one of those things that I feel strongly enough about to believe those who won't fully surrender to sobriety are unequivocally wrong.

"You can never say, you will not drink again," was a statement I heard in AA repeated several times by the oldest member of the group, and restated by others. He said it knowingly, and the group all nodded their heads in agreement. It too, was a mantra, and I was mortified at how easily people accepted the act of giving in. It seemed like they were paving the way for their own failure.

In that group, about half the members were constantly falling off the wagon. They would disappear for a few months and then return, often with two black eyes and multiple abrasions. The wise old timer would say, "You can never be sure you won't drink again. You are an alcoholic," and everyone would obediently nod in agreement.

Of course you can say you will never drink again. I did a week after I started AA, even in defiance of that wise old timer. I went to AA to quit, not to fall off the wagon. Drinking would be unacceptable, and if I didn't believe that old timer was dead wrong, I would have packed up and left the group.

I'd already done the self processing attempts at moderation before I got to AA. I can't remember once in the last 10 years prior when even in the misery of a hangover, I ever said I would never drink again. I knew it wasn't over, and I drank again and again.

When I finally got sick enough of watching my own downward spiral, I was so bad off, I went to AA, where I was willing to go to any lengths and willing to surrender myself to a life of sobriety. I wasn't doing this for the fellowship or the spirituality. I was there to stop drinking, because drinking was the single biggest problem in my life, and none of my other problems would I deal with without several years of sobriety under my belt. And many of those problems were there as a direct result of my drinking.

I don't understand how a plan to stop drinking should make allowances for drinking. That is the very life that causes all the problems in the first place. You can't call something new, if it's the same old thing. I wanted something new, and obviously, it had to be different than what I was already doing.
My guess is that the AA old-timer (and others like him) didn't intend for his comment to be interpreted as making allowances for drinking.

The whole premise of AA is that no human agency can relieve alcoholism, but God can and will if he is sought. Sobriety is contingent on the maintenance of a fit spiritual condition, not on willpower. As alcoholics, we're likely to drink again if left to our own devices.

I think this is probably all the old-timer was trying to convey. Yes, it's subtly different from deciding never to drink again and never changing your mind, but the results are the same.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:55 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Rd2Quit - I don't have another chance in me. It's one reason I am so adamant about some of these discussions and any wiggle room, so to speak. I am a believer that any alcoholic is risking their very last chance to get sober with the first drink.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:06 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

We relapse before we take that first drink. The emotional and mental relapse happens before you unscrew that bottle. I don't give it a chance.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:38 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Andante View Post
My guess is that the AA old-timer (and others like him) didn't intend for his comment to be interpreted as making allowances for drinking.

The whole premise of AA is that no human agency can relieve alcoholism, but God can and will if he is sought. Sobriety is contingent on the maintenance of a fit spiritual condition, not on willpower. As alcoholics, we're likely to drink again if left to our own devices.

I think this is probably all the old-timer was trying to convey. Yes, it's subtly different from deciding never to drink again and never changing your mind, but the results are the same.
I would like to think that was his reason, but the way he said it didn't make that clear. Perhaps it was a pitfall in human communication, and I never asked for clarification. But there was something about the way he said it to make it sound like it was OK. I've wondered about it many times, and my guess is that it was possible that he didn't want relapsers to feel like they wouldn't be welcomed back. I would agree in that light, but I think his comment should have included something about why giving in doesn't solve the problem. It's just something that bothered me at the time. Apparently, it still does.

He also said at times that even if a person relapses, at least they had a month or two or a year or two of sobriety, but that doesn't fit very well with my definition of quitting drinking. What newcomers took from it, I don't know. Many heads nodded in agreement, but that is often a knee jerk response of acknowledgement, and may not mean anything.

I've seen too many fall off the wagon for no apparent reason, and I've seen maybe ten of those end in hospitalization or suicide. I'm not going to beat this horse anymore, because I'm only responsible for my own sobriety, and he did me no personal harm. I think I'll just put this away.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:45 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Rd2Quit - I don't have another chance in me. It's one reason I am so adamant about some of these discussions and any wiggle room, so to speak. I am a believer that any alcoholic is risking their very last chance to get sober with the first drink.
That's my feeling too. I don't know if I could get sober again or not. I've heard too much about kindling (that's a new one for me), and how alcoholism progresses even during periods of abstinence. Whether these are true or not, I have taken them to heart, and I really can't see why I'd even want to take another drink, anyway.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:46 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
I'm not going to beat this horse anymore, because I'm only responsible for my own sobriety, and he did me no personal harm. I think I'll just put this away.
That sounds like a good idea. Trying to figure out what other people think or "why" they do what they do is almost exclusively an exercise in futility. People say all kinds of things that they shouldn't, but don't let it stop you from doing what you know is the right thing for YOU.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:18 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Well, driguy,

There’s a fine line between advising a hard line in the sand, but also wanting others to know they are welcome in the recovery group.

They have to be welcome: that’s what it’s for. The disease is relentless. Some don’t make it. But they must always, always have a place they feel they can go.

The message can be clear without making someone feel unwelcome, but it’s tricky, and old man AA was probably trying to be kind.

“You can never be sure you won’t drink again” is a dangerous thing for me to even think about, I even felt a tiny spark typing it.

It’s why I don’t say that.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:25 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
That sounds like a good idea. Trying to figure out what other people think or "why" they do what they do is almost exclusively an exercise in futility. People say all kinds of things that they shouldn't, but don't let it stop you from doing what you know is the right thing for YOU.
Yeah I think that's the takeaway. That's the only takeaway for anyone.

In the beginning, the only thing that worked for me was "just for today". Anything else would have made me run to the bottle. Now, that mantra doesn't work so well. So I decided I will go "just for a year". After all, I made it six months before. I know I have a year in me. What happens when I get to a year? I don't know- but there was a time when a year was a delusion...now it's a reality.

Not only is the context of our current experience different but I believes our minds and thought processes are different. Perhaps one day I will also be saying "I will never drink again- and I will know it and mean it" but if I do, I know it won't be from where I am standing now. It will be different...a different time, a different place, a different me.