Notices

Class of February 2019 Support Thread Pt 2

Old 02-22-2019, 05:39 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Hang in there Notme.
I understand totally how tempting it is to just feel good for a short while.
Just grab for some short term relief.

But it really will just take you straight back to where you were and then some.
If you can just pull through today and think about tomorrow when it comes.
Post plenty.....ppl here will help you get through the day, ok?
Old 02-22-2019, 06:02 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  

It is scary NotMe. 26 days is fantastic!! It probably will be up and down for awhile. I figure I didn't drink myself to where I ended up overnight so it will take time to recover from it. It will get better.

I'm sitting through the auto response my brain usually does myself. I don't let myself go to the feeling of shutting down. I go straight to thinking of being sh*t faced, depressed, heart flipping all over the places, feeling like a loser. And drunk anxiety. Which in my case is far worse than sober anxiety. At least sober anxiety passes and I don't feel bad about myself. May not have enjoyed it but it beats drinking and wishing I wasn't.

Hang in there. Take care of yourself and your body for now. Think about how it feels to wake up in the morning and not have drank the night before. You have a great run on no hangover mornings right now!
Old 02-22-2019, 06:08 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

NotMe - have you been to a doc? Throwing up
blood sounds.....not too good.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:54 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Can & 360 - thanks for the support. I’m trying to let the anxiety pass.

Foie - no, haven’t been to the doc. I’m terrified for obvious reasons. I want to get to at least a couple months sober first to see if my blood test can maybe come back closer to normal. If I go now, I know I will say forget it if I get bad news.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:57 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

(((NotMe))) Believe it it not, I understand that logic.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:57 PM
  # 306 (permalink)  
Administrator

The thing is, if you're throwing up blood and it is serious, you might not be here in a few months.

I know it's scary but part of recovery for me is Self care & facing up to things like that and getting checked out NotMe2pls.

I'm a worrier so I've been sure I've been terminal many times, but it hasn't worked out that way so far

D
Old 02-22-2019, 08:11 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NotMe2pls View Post
Can & 360 - thanks for the support. I’m trying to let the anxiety pass.

Foie - no, haven’t been to the doc. I’m terrified for obvious reasons. I want to get to at least a couple months sober first to see if my blood test can maybe come back closer to normal. If I go now, I know I will say forget it if I get bad news.
Hey NoMe... I too suffered health anxiety when I first quit drinking. I had it while I was drinking, too (I just drank through it). Turned out all the VERY scary symptoms I had experienced for years were actually undiagnosed UC/Crohn’s disease, took a scary week in the hospital with very high fever and alarming weight loss to wake me up to it.

I don’t think you should let it get that far. Go to the doctors — honestly the peace of mind of knowing I have a primary care doc and gastroenterologist who have my back, has reduced that health anxiety down to zero.

Don’t let your AV keep you from getting the medical help you need, as scary as it can be that first trip.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:47 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  

I agree with our classmates NoMe: I've had to have a few doctor check-ins since I quit and I have a series coming up. They are there to help you and make sure you have every too available for your health at present. Sometimes, it may be a simple thing such as being dehydrated. We're your classmates not doctors.

Think about the options:

A) What is the worst that happen by checking-in with a doctor?

B) What is the worst thing that happen by not checking-in with a doctor?

Plus, the class will be here for you when you need to check-in about going to the doc and after the visit.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:56 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  

I understand why everyone is suggesting going to the dr right away. It’s also why I was afraid to post anything about it. Or post at all. Makes my anxiety worse. I watched my boyfriend die from cirrhosis and saw all of the stages. Which progressed rapidly. He did not ever quit drinking though. And lied to me about a ton, of course. During that & Since then I have educated myself about cirrhosis and other conditions that can have similar symptoms. My point is, I had a weak moment of wanting to drink. And I had to remind myself of the last night I drank when I did throw up blood. That was it for me. Scared me dry. I haven’t drank since. And other issues I had like bad indigestion & bloating & focus have improved immensely. Just not everything like energy & occasional pains. So, I am not consistently throwing up or a regular thing at all. I know it could be though if I decide to drink again. Right now, what keeps me sober is believing my body has time to heal some. Before I hear what they told my boyfriend. Which only scared him & made him lie & continue to drink because he thought it was too late. I don’t talk to anyone about this, so this is my safe place to come & release what’s on my mind sometimes. That’s all. I will go to the doc & address this when I am due back in April.
Its my fault for posting about this, because the words
“ u may not be here in a few months “ are the worst triggers I was afraid of in a response. And that’s on me, I totally get that. Not putting blame on anyone here who has commented. I just need to be more careful. Thanks for listening & your concern.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:33 AM
  # 310 (permalink)  

I have a total fear of going to doctors. I never go because I'm afraid of what they will tell me. My lung cancer was found by "accident" because I had gone to the ER for something else (don't remember what) and they did a chest CT, since I'm a smoker(?) Still trying to quit! Noone should be afraid of posting anything on SR....we are on your side!
Old 02-23-2019, 06:42 AM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NotMe2pls View Post
I understand why everyone is suggesting going to the dr right away. It’s also why I was afraid to post anything about it. Or post at all. Makes my anxiety worse. I watched my boyfriend die from cirrhosis and saw all of the stages. Which progressed rapidly. He did not ever quit drinking though. And lied to me about a ton, of course. During that & Since then I have educated myself about cirrhosis and other conditions that can have similar symptoms. My point is, I had a weak moment of wanting to drink. And I had to remind myself of the last night I drank when I did throw up blood. That was it for me. Scared me dry. I haven’t drank since. And other issues I had like bad indigestion & bloating & focus have improved immensely. Just not everything like energy & occasional pains. So, I am not consistently throwing up or a regular thing at all. I know it could be though if I decide to drink again. Right now, what keeps me sober is believing my body has time to heal some. Before I hear what they told my boyfriend. Which only scared him & made him lie & continue to drink because he thought it was too late. I don’t talk to anyone about this, so this is my safe place to come & release what’s on my mind sometimes. That’s all. I will go to the doc & address this when I am due back in April.
Its my fault for posting about this, because the words
“ u may not be here in a few months “ are the worst triggers I was afraid of in a response. And that’s on me, I totally get that. Not putting blame on anyone here who has commented. I just need to be more careful. Thanks for listening & your concern.
I just want to reiterate how much I understand, and how much I sympathize. Health anxiety can be paralyzing, and on top of it you have this visceral memory of watching your boyfriend suffer as well. Health anxiety was a huge trigger for me in my years of very heavy drinking.

Obviously nobody here can make you go to the doctor, but wouldn’t it be better than living with the extreme anxiety until April? Sorry to keep on. Good luck and do what you need for you. In the meantime, stay well, hydrated, eat healthy foods.

God bless, will keep you in our family’s prayers.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:18 AM
  # 312 (permalink)  

NotMe2pls, others have offered some good and caring advice. As far as not seeing the benefits yet from laying off the smokes and drink, they will come no doubt. The gains come slowly, but we can all soon look back and see how we've improved both physically and mentally.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:37 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  

NotMe, you are safe posting your fears here. We all have them. It's a really good start that you put it out here that you are scared and for the most part don't want to deal with it right this minute. We all know we should go to the doctor and get checked out. I am confident you will get there if you put the work in now of dealing with your anxiety. Are you getting help with that?

Stay sober. Get help with your anxiety. Journal...that helps me a lot with my fears...and stick around. I'm not a medical professional either but just a drunk that is scared about a lot of things too. But, staying sober is priority for me. We can do it!
xoxo
Old 02-23-2019, 09:04 AM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Just checking in, Groundhog class. Been doing a lot of good processing today. Slowly and with the help of this chat I’ve been letting go of any and all self-imposed stigma I have associated with alcohol abstinence and alcoholism in general. Reframe, remold — sobriety is a very, very good thing. Keep it up, friends.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:16 AM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome back Starting overNW
whats the plan now?

D
Thanks Dee. I'm not 100% sure. I have plans to meet my sponsor on Tuesday, which should hopefully happen this time unless we get a lot of snow again. I'm going to hit an In The Rooms online meeting today, and probably another one tomorrow. I'm planning to go to a noon AA meeting when I'm at work on monday too.

Beyond that I'm going to put together a longer term schedule for at least the next week or 2 and adjust. I'll keep checking here too but I may just join the March group at this point as I haven't been here much this month and am not really plugged into this class.

Have a good weekend everyone.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:50 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  

New Here

Hello all,

Robert here. I guess I am joining the February class a little late. Today is my first day of sobriety. I am new ot hte site and have a post over in the Newcomer's Welcome if you care to have a look.

I've been drinking the better part of 25 years of my 45 year long journey in life. Progressively I have gotten worst to the point I can consume almost 750 ml of scotch every evening to the point of black out.

I've been wanting to quit for a very long time but I've just never made the decision. Today I am making the decision.

Step 1 for me was pouring out my bottle.
Step 2 for me was signing up here at SR.
Step 3 for me is I am going shopping today. I am purchasing a calendar, sleep aid, and a few other household items to change my living quarters.

Step 4 Not buy booze when I go to the store and get through this first day without a drink.

Look forward to the end of this day and the new one tomorrow.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:04 PM
  # 317 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

Welcome Wobert!

I’m trying to work out a budget. Over the years (and booze), we’ve gotten into debt. Lots of debt.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:11 PM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Morning class.

Good posts here overnight, many written with a compassion and thoughtfulness that I wish I could bring to this.

Hi Wobert, welcome. Good decision and ppl here will help you through the first few days. First 4 or 5 days are gonna be uncomfortable at times but really worth it when you start to feel better.

Up early and out for an hours walk. This has been a long term habit that has dropped off lately. Partially bored with the routine, the scenery and been busy working. Quiet grey morning, it'll warm up later.

Day 28. 4 weeks. Good time to take stock of things and its pretty positive. The sleep is great, getting some important issues addressed and tasks done. Its great being available, not isolating. Do not miss the daily grind that drinking became. Its hard work. And expensive. Biggest thing tho is having some life-tasks, 2019 priorities kicked off.

will chk in over the day. Later....
Old 02-23-2019, 02:02 PM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Welcome, Wobert. Let us know how you’re doing. Glad you’ve made some plans.

Canguy-congrats on 4 weeks! Thanks for sharing your reflections.... very helpful.

Notme2, thinking about you. How are you doing today?

Old 02-23-2019, 04:03 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcoem Robert

Notme2pls - I posted for a good reason but no one can make you do anything you don't want to do, and I'm sure no one here will persist now that you've said how upset it makes you.

You have the right to your own decisions.

I can see how my words might have been ill-chosen for you, even tho they were the words that got me to finally see a Dr .

Obviously we're all different.
I apologise if I upset or even worse frightened you

D