Notices

Life Insurance Policy

Old 12-04-2018, 04:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Life Insurance Policy

I've always believed that honesty is the best policy but here I am pondering whether or not I should be dishonest with my life insurance policy.

One of the inquires is if you are in recovery for a substance abuse problem and if you have received any treatment for said problem. I wish I could just decline to answer. I have indeed attended a ridiculous treatment program out of state and really don't want to mention it but to do so would be to lie.

I guess I am wondering, can I be denied for admitting to a problem with an addictive substance? Will they find out if I lie? It was out of state and under my maiden name. Has anyone else here have any experience with life insurance and having a prior substance abuse problem?

But geez, I feel bad even thinking about lying about the "treatment" program I attended. I hate having this personal information so well documented. But, I did it to myself and these are the consequences.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know, but I have heard members here say they had problems with getting life insurance as an addict. But, it might depend on how long ago your treatment occurred. I wouldn't lie. If it was found out that you lied, I think your policy could be cancelled. I don't think it would be worth the risk.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I wouldn't lie. If it was found out that you lied, I think your policy could be cancelled. I don't think it would be worth the risk.
That was what I was thinking.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For what it’s worth, I once had this discussion with my attorney. He said “you can lie to anyone you want to, but don’t ever lie to an insurance company.”.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It wasn't always this way, but today, it sure is...Insurance companies look for any and every possible reason to either deny coverage, or deny a claim. They have full-time investigators whose job it is, is to catch you in a lie.

You can be sure they would find out, and then, you policy would be worthless. Don't do it.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is my understanding that if you lie, they WILL know. Probably not the answer you wanted.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life is good

Honesty is important. So is my connection to my Higher Power, asking, praying, meditating and being open to guidance.

Life is good. God/Higher Power has a great sense of humor.

There are many times I've been guided in ways I couldn't see on my on own. More is always revealed.

Does this need to done immediately?
Old 12-04-2018, 07:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I did a fair amount of online research regarding life insurance with regards to alcoholism (probably similar for other addictions). My conclusion was that a person basically needs 5 years of sobriety before getting approved at a standard rate. Before that you might only be able to get accidental death coverage.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Lying could cause you other legal problems. Be honest and stay sober. Bet of luck!
Old 12-04-2018, 07:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Honesty.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life is good

Before that you might only be able to get accidental death coverage.​​​​​​​

Would that work? Talking with a few insurance agents could start providing more suggestions.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey,

I sell life insurance.

After the application is sent to the company for review, they will call you for a phone interview and then there will be a medical exam and then the life insurance company will request documents from your doctor. If at ANY time you spoke to your doctor about alcohol/treatment/consumption the life insurance company WILL find out. Yes, they can deny you for lying, once you are denied you have a RED mark on your file and other life insurance companies will ask if you have EVER been denied for Life insurance, if you say NO but you have, you are trapped in this web of lies.

Blessings,
DC
Old 12-05-2018, 07:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I work in the field. Lying on an insurance application is fraud and can null and void your policy. It's serious business.

When I was with my X husband we took out a life insurance policy for him. We disclosed his treatment. He was not declined, but it put him in a different tier and it did limit the amount they were willing to let him purchase. After three years he could request to be re-tiered and increase the amount.

I can only share that is how it worked in our case. And...don't lie ever on an insurance application! People do not realize the ramifications and may end up paying a lot of money for something that will never pay out.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Originally Posted by LoveHateWhine View Post
For what it’s worth, I once had this discussion with my attorney. He said “you can lie to anyone you want to, but don’t ever lie to an insurance company.”.
And financial institutions. Both would be fraud.

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
It is my understanding that if you lie, they WILL know. Probably not the answer you wanted.
Anything out there is out there, and they'll discover it during the underwriting process. The question is if it's found out after the policy is in effect, how long will they let premiums be paid while knowing they won't pay squat when the time comes.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yep, tell the truth.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Lots of good advice here already. I'd only add that for me at least, telling the truth has a whole new meaning to me now that I'm sober. And not just with insurance companies, but with my family, coworkers, friends, etc....and mostly myself. My life was a massive series of lies for decades literally - so to me there is nothing more important than telling the truth now. Even if that truth has negative consequences.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I hope this does not violate any rules, but I know this to be a fact here in Minnesota, USA. A doctor I had was loose lipped told me shortly after the Patriot Act was signed, all medical records from all hospitals and clinics here in Minnesota is sent to the U of Minnesota (Minneapolis Campus) once per week. From there they are sent to Department of Homeland Security in a database. Therefore, all medical records are accessible for anyone who is authorized to view them, and I assume life insurance companies can do that.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
I hope this does not violate any rules, but I know this to be a fact here in Minnesota, USA. A doctor I had was loose lipped told me shortly after the Patriot Act was signed, all medical records from all hospitals and clinics here in Minnesota is sent to the U of Minnesota (Minneapolis Campus) once per week. From there they are sent to Department of Homeland Security in a database. Therefore, all medical records are accessible for anyone who is authorized to view them, and I assume life insurance companies can do that.
All medical records CAN be accessed by the government per the Patriot act as part of a criminal investigation, but it requires a warrant. Can you imagine the sheer volume of people and time it would take to send all the medical records from every individual and clinic in an entire state to Homeland Security once a week? I think your doc might have been telling some stories there...sounds like a pretty far-fetched consipiracy theory to be honest.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
All medical records CAN be accessed by the government per the Patriot act as part of a criminal investigation, but it requires a warrant. Can you imagine the sheer volume of people and time it would take to send all the medical records from every individual and clinic in an entire state to Homeland Security once a week? I think your doc might have been telling some stories there...sounds like a pretty far-fetched consipiracy theory to be honest.
I hear ya, to be honest I could believe either scenario.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

FYI another recent thread on this subject:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...hol-abuse.html (Life Insurance Options for Past Alcohol Abuse)

I’ll be interested to hear what you find out. Best of luck.