Notices

It's a new start for me - first day sober

Old 11-14-2018, 09:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's a new start for me - first day sober

Hello to everyone

This will probably be short as I drank heavily last night and this is my first day trying to be sober. I have quit before but never longer than a period of 5 days and I've been an alcoholic for roughly 5 years, I pretty much never drank before that. I went in with both feet you might say.

I don't really know why I drink, I do not really enjoy it, I think a lot of it is because I can't sleep as silly as that sounds. Rather than just sitting going insane with insomnia, I get drunk and I sleep. But now it has gotten to the point where I have wasted a chunk of my life, many opportunities and generally feel like if I do not quit now, then things are going to start getting very bad. I don't know how long I could survive living this lifestyle. I am also a smoker and very overweight, about 100 pounds, so in general I am very unhealthy right now. And both of those things are to do with alcohol as well, it's beer weight and I smoke when I drink.

But I am in general not a sad man, my life is good, except for the booze. But I fear it will become very bad if I continue.

As you can imagine, my head is very fuzzy right now so I will probably go into more detail when I am feeling a little less hungover.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You've found a good place for support here.

The early days of sobriety can be rough, but it gets better with more sober time.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

Like you, I jumped into alcoholism with both feet and I drank for about 3 years. Insomnia was one of the main issues in my life, and initially, briefly, the alcohol helped. But, of course, that was the hook.

I wonder if you have a plan for how to stop drinking and to recover?
Old 11-14-2018, 10:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR, glad to hear that you've decided to make positive changes in your life. I can guarantee you that you will never regret the decision to NOT drink ;-)

As far as "why" we drink, i am of the mindset that it doesn't really matter. One of my favorite quotes/sayings on that matter uses the house fire analogy: If your house is is on fire, you don't spend a lot of time figuring out why it started...you get out of the house! There will be time later to look back and take care of some of the factors that might have led to your addiction, or to address the issues we tried to hide from by drinking. But for now..glad you got out of the 'house"!
Old 11-14-2018, 10:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FoolishItalian View Post
Hello to everyone

This will probably be short as I drank heavily last night and this is my first day trying to be sober. I have quit before but never longer than a period of 5 days and I've been an alcoholic for roughly 5 years, I pretty much never drank before that. I went in with both feet you might say.

I don't really know why I drink, I do not really enjoy it, I think a lot of it is because I can't sleep as silly as that sounds. Rather than just sitting going insane with insomnia, I get drunk and I sleep. But now it has gotten to the point where I have wasted a chunk of my life, many opportunities and generally feel like if I do not quit now, then things are going to start getting very bad. I don't know how long I could survive living this lifestyle. I am also a smoker and very overweight, about 100 pounds, so in general I am very unhealthy right now. And both of those things are to do with alcohol as well, it's beer weight and I smoke when I drink.

But I am in general not a sad man, my life is good, except for the booze. But I fear it will become very bad if I continue.

As you can imagine, my head is very fuzzy right now so I will probably go into more detail when I am feeling a little less hungover.
I'm in a very similar situation as well. Day 1, over weight from drinking, don't exercise anymore cause always hungover and massive insomnia when not drinking. I think the insomnia part is the worst of it. I eventually break down and start drinking again because a few days without sleep turns me into a complete mess.

Hang in there man. Maybe let's try to do this together? I find it helps sometimes.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome to the family. You've found a good place for support here.

The early days of sobriety can be rough, but it gets better with more sober time.
Thank you so much for your warm welcome and support!
Old 11-14-2018, 10:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Welcome!

Like you, I jumped into alcoholism with both feet and I drank for about 3 years. Insomnia was one of the main issues in my life, and initially, briefly, the alcohol helped. But, of course, that was the hook.

I wonder if you have a plan for how to stop drinking and to recover?
I am trying to come up with a plan as I go about my evening, I am not 100% sure of what to put in it. I am doing things like what to do on an evening when I am thinking about drinking, and also things like getting patches in order to help with my smoking because I always drink when I smoke and they trigger each other I think in my head. If there is more advice on help with a plan I would like that because I am just kind of jotting down ideas at the moment, not too much structure.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Welcome to SR, glad to hear that you've decided to make positive changes in your life. I can guarantee you that you will never regret the decision to NOT drink ;-)

As far as "why" we drink, i am of the mindset that it doesn't really matter. One of my favorite quotes/sayings on that matter uses the house fire analogy: If your house is is on fire, you don't spend a lot of time figuring out why it started...you get out of the house! There will be time later to look back and take care of some of the factors that might have led to your addiction, or to address the issues we tried to hide from by drinking. But for now..glad you got out of the 'house"!
You are probably right on that! It doesn't matter why I drink, I think I was just trying to introduce my situation. But yes, that is a very good point.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
I'm in a very similar situation as well. Day 1, over weight from drinking, don't exercise anymore cause always hungover and massive insomnia when not drinking. I think the insomnia part is the worst of it. I eventually break down and start drinking again because a few days without sleep turns me into a complete mess.

Hang in there man. Maybe let's try to do this together? I find it helps sometimes.
We will both do this together definitely =)

Yes my weight spiralled, a mix of booze, hangover eating and feeling too sick to exercise have given my quite the belly. I was on camera at a show I went to the other week and I dare not watch it to see myself!

I am working on the insomnia myself but trying not to dwell, I find it to be like quicksand, the more I care about sleep, the less I sleep, so it is very tough. Not drinking when unable to sleep I think will be the hardest part for me also.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes my weight spiralled, a mix of booze, hangover eating and feeling too sick to exercise have given my quite the belly. I was on camera at a show I went to the other week and I dare not watch it to see myself!
I'm the same way. I refuse to let anyone take my picture these days cause I'm so embarrassed of how bad I've let myself go lol. I plan on hitting the gym again once I get a month sobriety under my belt. Need to get my head and body right first though, by quiting drinking.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome, FoolishItalian - It's great to have you join us.

I'm so glad you've made the decision to get free of it. I spent many years insisting it was fun & relaxing. In the end, it had become a necessity & I was completely dependent on it. There was no joy, no hope. I'm so thankful for SR, & the courage to change my life. You can do it - we're here to help.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome! I told myself the same thing, I have to drink to go to sleep. I continued to tell myself this far past the point where I enjoyed drinking.

I'm 19 days sober and I can tell you sleeping gets easier, the first couple nights are rough, but it does get much easier. And don't feel like you have to be a hero, consider going to your doctor. You don't have to white knuckle this, there is plenty of help available with sleep and anything else you might be going through.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad to have you with us - welcome

D
Old 11-15-2018, 05:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! This is a wonderful site for support. Here is a link about recovery plans that may be helpful. https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ery-plans.html (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)
Old 11-15-2018, 07:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thankyou everybody so much for your support, it has been a very rough couple of days for me as you can well imagine. But at least the hangover side of my quitting seems to have passed. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow and I hope that will be another good step in the right direction. I have been trying to make a plan but will be taking a look at that link right now, I have been terribly busy with work so have only had the chance now to log back on. Thank you.

Oh and strangely enough I have slept ok since quitting! I hope it continues.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I hope the appointment went well, Foolish.

I'm glad you've slept well - that's often a real problem early on.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

How are you FI? Welcome to SR! I’m glad you made a doctor appointment. Seeing my doctor early on and being completely honest helped me so much. I needed prescription to help with anxiety and depression and sleep in the beginning. But it passed eventually. I do take natural supplements now and feel very good about my health and well being.

I hope to see more of you here. You will find lots of support.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I know this may seem silly but I'd usually drink Sleepytime tea or warm milk (cinnamon optional) to help fall asleep. I've tried over-the-counter sleep aids but they never seem to do the job.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am generally well but unfortunately I am sat here having been up all night! My good sleep did not last too long.

Oh well, at least I read a book for the first time in a long time. It is the weekend so if I am tired then that is ok.

My doctors appointment went ok I think, he was concerned about my weight but I said all I can do is get healthier now, I do not see the point in feeling bad about it when I am doing what I can now. He also took a blood test, but I am hopeful it is nothing too serious. I know everyone is different but I do not feel unwell so would be surprised if I was too far gone. You never know but, I think it will be good.

As for my insomnia I don't know, it has plagued me all my life and no medicine has ever helped. I think I may have to accept that some days I will be very tired. I always catch up with sleep, but like today, I will probably be tired and then get a big sleep tonight. It is still better than feeling hungover, my main issue is dealing with the boredom on a night.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:59 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hello to everyone

Hi FI, I'll start by saying that I love your country and have visited it many times (Rome, Naples, Palermo, Firenze, etc). The Italians have style and I love the way that no one follows any rules or, the Italians decide which ones they will follow!

Sorry to hear that you are in trouble with your drinking.

For me, I took my first faltering steps with alcohol many, many years ago and I have always had a problem with it. Call it genetic, peer pressure, whatever, but the bottom line was that I didn't have an 'off switch' and when I drank there was always a possibility that I would get so drunk I was no longer really in control.

This lack of control inevitable resulted in my finding myself in various scrapes and trouble: University, DUI, relationships, etc. Over the years I learnt slowly and surely that I needed to cut all ties with alcohol, this was the only way to guarantee that I would no longer exposure to all the drunken risk.

I stopped about 13 months ago (I have had many periods of sobriety in addition) and all I can say is everyone needs to start somewhere. The journey is a challenge and is very personal. It seems to me that you have taken the first steps so keep going and good luck. Your life will improve hugely, of that there is no doubt.

continua la bella battaglia