Notices

Weekender Thread 02-05 November 2018

Old 11-02-2018, 02:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Weekender Thread 02-05 November 2018

Hi There!

I'd like to welcome anyone new to SR and new to this thread.

Weekends can be a tough time, and that's what this thread is about - support.

We also share bits and pieces of our lives and the things that are important to us, or make us laugh..anything that makes the journey a little easier

If you've never jumped into a weekender thread before - no time like today...do it now!

Old 11-02-2018, 03:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Mr

SHOTGUN
Thanks D.
I'm in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
téléchargement.jpg (7.7 KB, 120 views)
Old 11-02-2018, 03:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good morning and happy Friday to everyone.

I’m looking forward to sharing another sober weekend with the folks who gather here rather new or longtime posters....support when needed and sharing in the victories.

Sometimes I wish there was another word than ‘sober’ to capture the joy of an alcohol free life. Perhaps because it’s so close to the word somber , but early on there was a negative connotation to the word in my mind . An association with a flat, monotone existence. Boy was that wrong! Love me some sober these days.

Hoping for a check in from our Londoner today.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good morning Vman and I’ve just noticed on another thread that congratulations are in order today as you celebrate 8 months of living free of alcohol. I hope you relish the day and what it means to you and your family.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mark and Vman!

I feel more renewed than just sober Mark, so I know what you mean

my congrats as well vman

D
Old 11-02-2018, 03:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Mr

Mark

Dee
Old 11-02-2018, 03:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I’m in!
Old 11-02-2018, 03:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

VMan! 8 months is a really wonderful achievement. Your body must be thanking you every single day … and your mind … and your family! I am so inspired!

My husband is away this weekend, so I'm looking at some alone time (which always turns out to be my AV failure). So a question to the group: What sober activities do you do on weekends? I'd love some new ideas to help fill non-work time.

Happy Friday, everyone! We can do this!
Old 11-02-2018, 03:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I saw on the 24 hour thread too Vman. 8 months! Awesome job

A quiet Friday night at home for me here. Eating icecream
Better than alcohol any day, and I will wake up for a clear sunshiny sober Saturday

I don’t like the word sober either. Well the word sobering thought is kinda grim isn’t it? So clear and sunshiny sounds like a better option
Old 11-02-2018, 04:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Zoeydog I go to yoga, to the beach, wander around the markets, maybe go see a movie. And usually go to bed early with a book
Oh and lately I seem to eat icecream
Old 11-02-2018, 04:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations, VMan!

I'm in.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Vman, I'm so happy for you that you have made this choice to keep going. It will continue to get better and easier (and that goes for everyone!)

How about NotDrunkAndStupid instead of sober? The word is pretty serious. But it is serious business.

IN with seriousness.

Where's Sao????

*kittenlick*
Old 11-02-2018, 05:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by zoeydog View Post
...What sober activities do you do on weekends? I'd love some new ideas to help fill non-work time.
The regulars here know my answer...

Ukulele

I bought my first one around March /April 2017. I bought one for my daughter in October that year and we took lessons togther at the beginning of this year. She was batteling depression and I thought it would be a good 'social' thing for us to do. We both really enjoyed it and are currently enrolled together in the intermediate class.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Congrats vman and thanks for posting the reminder about all souls day.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Mr

Welcome to the weekender Charli....
Old 11-02-2018, 05:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hello! Joining my first weekender thread because I’m also facing some alone time this evening and fridays used to be my prime drinking time.

I’m retaking my permit test this afternoon; my license expired three years ago and since I live in a city I don’t really need a car and was too lazy to go get it renewed, so kinda goofed on that one. But I’m looking forward to getting this step done. I finally have enough savings to buy a car but I need a license first!

Other than that I don’t have much planned for tonight. I might go see a movie though if I feel like I really need to leave the house. I need alone time probably more than social time to recharge after the week but it unfortunately always included drinking. Hopefully seeing a movie by myself will keep me busy on my own. Having quality time with my cat at home also sounds good though, so we’ll see.

Anyway enough about myself. Congrats Vman on 8 months! That’s a huge achievement.

i will be here reading and will for sure check in this evening when I succeed and go to bed sober. Have a lovely Friday guys. Rooting for y’all.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome dpac and Charli...and hi to the rest of the gang too!

Dragon, it’s always very uplifting for me to read about the time you spend with your daughter. That’s good stuff.

Well, weekend activity for me, especially when I felt I needed somewhere for my mind to rest, sometimes includes cooking . Especially when the weather keeps me from my normal outside activity. I am not at all a great talent in the kitchen but I choose something different that involves a little prep time, not my quick and easy ‘go to’ stuff. Something about the sautéing, baking makes the house feel warm and comforting. Maybe a few snacking treats during the main course prep. Anyway, a favorite of mine is Tyler Florence ‘s roasted tomato soup with grilled cheese panini from great quality cheese and fresh bread. Mmm Mmmm good. Then I may wrap it up easy with slice and bake sugar cookies and a frosty mug of milk. A proven cure for the AV.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Hi dpac and Charli
Old 11-02-2018, 06:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Awesome job on 8 months vman!!

Welcome dpac and Charlie! Great place to hang with some wonderful people to help get through the long weekend x

I got offered the contract job that I interviewed for last week which scares the life out of me to be honest. Quite a Senior role and all my lack of confidence deamons are having a ball right now. However, it’s all about me overcoming fear, a lot of my feelings about it are all driven by it, fear of failure, fear I am not good enough or will show myself up, fear I am making the wrong decision and so on. Just got to get through the vetting process now and I’ll have to declare a criminal record due to the drink driving conviction 5.5 years ago and that might lead to a withdrawal of the job offer. I’ll be staying very close to SR if I do start this job as work was my biggest trigger to drink.

Anyhow, enough about me, hope everyone is well and ready to get another sober weekend in the bag! Go weekenders! xx
Old 11-02-2018, 07:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Mr

Hey welcome dpac.
It's great that you joined the weekender.
Roll on a sober friday evening.

Work has been real (too) quiet so I might just mozy on home at 15h30...
Hey this is France, its 35 hours a week not 35 hours a day !

Congrats on getting offered that senior role job Manta. Go on admit it even it feels scary it feels good too... youre allowed too ! I think you will nail it. Gve it a whirl eh ?

Hello to Bim and Dragon.

Ok going home