Notices

New business partner is terrific, but a heavy drinker...

Old 10-28-2018, 06:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm a big believer that our own self-talk is a hugely important part of recovery, and what you frame in your mind that leads you to success is awesome.

I too have had big life changes in my time in recovery- changed jobs, turned my work with a recovery group into an employed position for it as well as with the restaurant group whose owner founded it, got married, had one big and now another likely career move to explore for my husband, now dealing with a step son with serious mental health problems....you have a great point that trusting ourselves early on to handle and decide about what life brings is important, too.

I was just exceedingly cautious about everything from socializing to work choices. I've said plenty of times that this is life or death for me- I am indeed happy, joyous and free as the Promises of AA include, yet also reserve that thought that I simply don't have a relapse in me. That framing makes sense in my head and I believe leads me to the backdrop of recovery that I call my life.

thank you, less, for reminding me that I did make some big and right choices early on!
Old 10-28-2018, 06:58 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
I'm a big believer that our own self-talk is a hugely important part of recovery, and what you frame in your mind that leads you to success is awesome.

I too have had big life changes in my time in recovery- changed jobs, turned my work with a recovery group into an employed position for it as well as with the restaurant group whose owner founded it, got married, had one big and now another likely career move to explore for my husband, now dealing with a step son with serious mental health problems....you have a great point that trusting ourselves early on to handle and decide about what life brings is important, too.

I was just exceedingly cautious about everything from socializing to work choices. I've said plenty of times that this is life or death for me- I am indeed happy, joyous and free as the Promises of AA include, yet also reserve that thought that I simply don't have a relapse in me. That framing makes sense in my head and I believe leads me to the backdrop of recovery that I call my life.

thank you, less, for reminding me that I did make some big and right choices early on!
Awesome. Here's to life, right? I know you AA'ers are cautious about pride as well but so much to be very proud of as well. Happy to be walking this road with you.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:32 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
J50

If your partners drinking has nothing to do with your sobriety, and you consider yourself recovered, then why did you post about it?

Hopefully his drinking doesn't impact your business, but do you have a plan if or when it does?
Old 10-28-2018, 07:43 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by J50 View Post
If your partners drinking has nothing to do with your sobriety, and you consider yourself recovered, then why did you post about it?

Hopefully his drinking doesn't impact your business, but do you have a plan if or when it does?
I suppose my statement was inaccurate. Every single aspect of my life has to do with my sobriety, so certainly his drinking, my post, my business and every other aspect is related to the life I'm able to live now that I'm sober. What I meant was that his drinking does not threaten my sobriety. That's for certain.

I was posting because I'm sure there are others here who have experienced similar business and life situations. In terms of a plan, he's a very successful attorney and has been for decades. If there's any issue with the business, for either of us, steps will have to be taken. But that's not dissimilar to any partnership or business.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:16 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
Every single aspect of my life has to do with my sobriety,
EXACTLY! Me, too. I call recovery my worldview, the backdrop of my life. I mean that in the best possible way, because this orientation leads me to good things, to know how to do my best to navigate tough things, to love well....to everything that is good and great in my life.

And that is my wish for anyone and everyone.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:14 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

It’s not like alcohol and people who drink will be out of our lives. I still think it is recovering instead of recovered because it’s an on going process of change. , but that just splitting hairs.
Best of luck in your new partnership and if the **** hits the fan I’m sure you’ll handle it.