Notices

I can't understand why AA is not working

Old 10-14-2018, 07:48 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Sweetichick, AA didn't work for me and I'm 8 years sober. You can do it, rootin for ya.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:27 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Thanks Nef what a beautiful picture. Made me teary.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:42 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to hear from you sweetichick

D
Old 10-14-2018, 09:02 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Thanks for asking Delilah and John. I had some dumb idea I could learn to control drink and bought a bottle every second day. Well that didn't work for long and I ended up drunk. I am now on day 3 and feeling a whole lot better. That one drunk brought me agonising stomach pains again. I have been listening to positive and inspiring speakers and went for a walk today. Plus establishing new routines. I have proven now to myself I can't control drink. I haven't had any really bad cravings. When I get paid tomorrow I will post on here before I go out shopping and again when I get back. That will give me accountability. The shops are a trigger for me. Thanks for all your support.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:47 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

You sound like me a few years ago. I also questioned AA and how can God stop this etc. I avoided all triggers and craved all day every day it was a nightmare. Obviously I kept failing and unfortunately it's taken me having liver damage and a few hospital admissions, losing a lot of people in my life and almost my job to really truly want to stop.
I go to SMART meetings, read positive stories on here, and have started going to a church group. Doing that has answered the question about how God can help, and I'm finding that being with peaceful loving people helps me live a life that isn't angry and frustrated. I'm not particularly religious funnily enough, but I'm enjoying learning how to love other people and pray for help - this is how God or a higher power can help. I think anyway xx
Old 10-15-2018, 01:35 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hi Sweeti. I'm glad you are on day3. Starting new routines and listening to inspiring messages are great ideas. I don't currently attend AA but it has been of help to me previously; it was definitely take what I need and leave the rest.
Posting here before and after shopping is an excellent plan. Be good to yourself; I wish you a peaceful day.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:20 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sweetichick View Post
I have proven now to myself I can't control drink.
And that, right there, is how you start to change your life. Once you know this one simple fact, you have all the information you need to make a decision about your future.

You have so much support here, Sweetichick, and we all hope you've turned that corner this time. Every day, you get to decide to keep living...
Old 10-15-2018, 10:48 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Thanks for asking Delilah and John. I had some dumb idea I could learn to control drink and bought a bottle every second day. Well that didn't work for long and I ended up drunk. I am now on day 3 and feeling a whole lot better. That one drunk brought me agonising stomach pains again. I have been listening to positive and inspiring speakers and went for a walk today. Plus establishing new routines. I have proven now to myself I can't control drink. I haven't had any really bad cravings. When I get paid tomorrow I will post on here before I go out shopping and again when I get back. That will give me accountability. The shops are a trigger for me. Thanks for all your support.
Can you avoid shopping for a while? Get food and stuff delivered to your home? It's a good way to avoid going into shops with drink everywhere on display.

If something is triggering you it's maybe a good idea in the short term to avoid that trigger altogether. It's like keep crossing the road with a blindfold on, eventually you are going to get hit by a car

It's a matter of life and death, you must do everything possible to avoid drinking. It's hard enough in the first few days without actively engaging with triggers. As you feel stronger in sobriety you can then start shopping again. If no delivery service, maybe ask a friend to pick something up. I don't know...there has to be an easier way to avoid this trigger of shopping.

I think you already knew you can't control drinking, that's why we all end up here, a few days of sobriety won't change that. The fact you tried again is just an excuse to start drinking again. We've all been there.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:05 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I've heard in AA and seen mention of it here; "1 drink is like playing in traffic on the highway..."
Old 10-15-2018, 12:32 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Originally Posted by Primativo View Post
Can you avoid shopping for a while? Get food and stuff delivered to your home? It's a good way to avoid going into shops with drink everywhere on display
^^^

This is what I would advise aswell! Keeps you out of the shops and away from temptation. To keep me busy I planned all my weeks meals and went through recipe books to pick things I would not normally bother to cook but knew I would like. Kept me busy cooking from scratch, I was eating healthier and ended up saving money too. x
Old 10-15-2018, 12:59 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

'My doctor who I have seen twice this week said due to extensive scarring, severe stomach cramps and elevated liver function tests I have to give up forever. I had a full abdominal ultrasound yesterday. So that's it give up or develop cirrhosis and die.'

Sweeti, I'm extremely concerned that you had the idea to try to moderate after you'd already been told by your doctor that you have to quit? I desperately hope you find the help you need to kick this habit, as it definitely sounds like a life or death situation at this stage. If you're still trying to moderate alcohol after that sort of news, I'm worried you're still at the stage of wanting to drink more than you want to be sober.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:00 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hi Sweeti,

Glad you're back, avoiding the shops is definitely a good plan. Pay day has been an issue for you before, can you pay all of your bills and then order what you need as others have suggested?

Glad you're getting outdoors some. I still think some face to face support would be helpful for you. Maybe a counselor? Someone to help you navigate things a little.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:14 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sweeti, I'm glad that you posted and that you're on Day 3. Establishing new routines and taking walks are great tools in recovery. I think your plan to be accountable on payday will help.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:03 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies and support. About to get ready to go grocery shopping. Yesterday's stomach pains should be enough to stop me drinking. I need stuff today and can't wait till delivery tomorrow. I will post again when I get back safely.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:33 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies and support. About to get ready to go grocery shopping. Yesterday's stomach pains should be enough to stop me drinking. I need stuff today and can't wait till delivery tomorrow. I will post again when I get back safely.
Try to make a list of stuff you need to buy and stick with it. You can do this. Joh
Old 10-15-2018, 06:03 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I made it. Did everything I had to do. Not really that tempted actually. Being accountable really helped. Thanks everyone.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:10 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Success! Make it a new habit and keep posting here. Just keep taking it one day at a time! That is the key. You can do it!
Old 10-15-2018, 06:37 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Glad to see you back Sweeti

Cook some nice food for yourself, have a hot bath with some candles around to relax you, and early to bed with clean sheets and a book or movie that you love.