Notices

Early sobriety depression

Old 10-12-2018, 02:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Early sobriety depression

Day 24 for me today. Started my morning with a meeting, which was good. But have been feeling glum and depressed the last week or so. I’ve had dreams almost every night about me drinking. It sets my day up feeling more depressed. I go from feeling happy and positive in meetings. To wondering if I’ll feel this depressed forever. Truthfully I don’t have any urge to drink, It makes me physically sick to think about how I was drinking. I just want to lie in bed and eat candy. My god this sugar craving is intense! I haven’t been to the dr since quitting, and I don’t know if I’m actually depressed depressed, or this is all part of the detox process. I’ll keep going to meetings, working with my sponsor, and keep posting here. Just wanted to vent how I’m feeling. Thanks everyone for listening.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My IOP (intensive outpatient program) professor / doctor told us to eat as much ice cream, sweets or things you crave early in sobriety as you want, assuming medically you don't have any issues like diabetes, etc... You likely won't have such cravings too long. Ice cream is my go-to in these situations and it really makes me feel better during that time.

Early sobriety is a panoply of emotions for me and this past time was no different, so I totally get where you're coming from.

Hang in there!
Old 10-12-2018, 04:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

If the depression is a result of stopping drinking, then you should see a change soon. If not, you might want to talk to a doctor.

I wonder if you have added things to your life that bring happiness and fun to your life?
Old 10-12-2018, 04:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 24! This is still early so the depression may be normal from quitting. Everyone is different though. It took a few months for my emotions to balance out. But I also had quit several times before so every subsequent attempt at sobriety was more difficult with the physical and emotional symptoms. Stay the course, you will keep getting better!
Old 10-12-2018, 04:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's common for your emotions to be all over the map in the early days and weeks of sobriety. Stay sober and it will get better.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had a lot of depression in early sobriety myself, I'd go back and forth between apathy and depression with bouts of anger and anxiety thrown in.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

First of all, huge congrats on 24 days...you're doing it! Second, I had similar feelings (and have had them since, off and on) but they definitely get better with time. I feel like I noticed a big improvement at 90 days, but in the meantime a few things might help: Reading, journaling (to possibly get to the root of some of your feelings), eating whatever you want, sleeping as much as possible, guilt-free. This is your time to spoil yourself. Now if it's something deeper and not related to drinking, that is something to discuss with your doctor as others have said. You can do this, we're here with you.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

All of the above. Check. Hang in there...rootin for you
Old 10-12-2018, 06:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Plure View Post
My IOP (intensive outpatient program) professor / doctor told us to eat as much ice cream, sweets or things you crave early in sobriety as you want, assuming medically you don't have any issues like diabetes, etc... You likely won't have such cravings too long. Ice cream is my go-to in these situations and it really makes me feel better during that time.

Early sobriety is a panoply of emotions for me and this past time was no different, so I totally get where you're coming from.

Hang in there!
I thought I was going crazy with this sugar tooth. But it about the only thing that makes me feel ok! Thank you
Old 10-12-2018, 06:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. I’ve had some pretty rough mood swings, but the depression and glum feeling is seeming to settle in and get comfortable. My anxiety has gotten about a million times better so there are still great things going on, and hey I haven’t had a drink, which I know would just make everything worse. I’m working on being grateful everyday too. It’s all a work in progress. As for any fun things I’ve added to my life, Well besides aa, Netflix’s, eating chocolate, and family responsibilities, I haven’t figured out what I like to do, or any hobbies. I’m hoping that will come with time.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

All the hobbies will come with time. One thing that helped me was to have a special Netflix show that I only watched while on the treadmill. I also had to keep reminding myself to take it easy, slow down, relax, which were the opposite of deeply ingrained patterns I established while drinking.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad you are sharing and like the others said, all sounds pretty familiar to me!

I do know that my doctors- psych and GP- have been important in my recovery. From maintenance of my thyroid to the mind meds I need, including adding a low dose of an anti depressant about 9 mo in, which I do still take here at 2 yr almost 8 mo, this medical supervision has bolstered me.

The only way I know to keep getting better and more even - btw, that is awesome about your anxiety easing, as I can relate to that specific issue- is to stay sober. Keep going and enjoy the sweets and Netflix
Old 10-13-2018, 08:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
nez

When I was drinking, my moods were muffled by the stupor of my alcoholism. I was reintroduced to the human experience of moods when alcohol was taken out of the equation. It was new. It felt like an alien experience. It was nerve wracking and, being the still controlling alcoholic personality type, I way over analyzed the simple fact that humans have moods.

Moods are like thoughts, they last as long as I feed them. I recognize them. I acknowledge them as being what they are. I can then make a better informed choice as to their diet.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you feeling today Kiki?

D
Old 10-13-2018, 06:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

My depression lifted after I worked those 12 steps. When I felt depressed again, I worked the 12 steps again. 2 weeks, 4 months, 8 months, 18 months and about 6 years later.

I'm working on 7.5 years of sobriety at this point. It works if ya work it!

Get through those steps!! My natural state is to be depressed. Alcohol was my solution. I stopped the solution, now I need a replacement and this is where the 12 steps come in!

I wish you peace and happiness!
Old 10-15-2018, 09:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
How are you feeling today Kiki?

D
I’m feeling pretty the same. Just no motivation. I don’t have insurance until the beginning of November. So I’ll schedule a dr app then, hopefully the blues have gotten better by then. I really do notice tho, my anxiety, anger, and really strong emotions have settled and I’m left with these blues.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry Kiki - I hope your dr will be able to help

D
Old 10-15-2018, 06:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Kiki,

I was so crazy sleepy and exhausted I thought I was losing my mind also. I had gone to my doctor several times and confided in her about my concerns for my drinking and that I wanted to quit. As a fellow health professional, she gave me absolutely no help.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t go and get checked out. But between now and then, please try to get rest and eat whatever you like as long as you don’t have other health issues. Sometimes we just have to prioritize that staying sober is the only thing we can get accomplished during the day or night.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t go and get checked out. Between now and then, please try to get rest and eat whatever you like as long as you don’t have other health issues. Sometimes we just have to prioritize that staying sober is the only thing we can get accomplished during the day or night.

Hats off to you and your new sobriety