Notices

Half dead and my sponsor has ditched me

Old 06-12-2018, 05:01 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Trudgin

The program of AA isn't meetings - it is in working the steps that people recover from alcoholism. Unfortunately, this is often misunderstood today. Bill W worked the steps while lying in his hospital bed - read his story.

Meetings are nice fellowship and a wonderful part of the AA experience, but this does not produce the psychic change required for alcoholics of "our type".

I encourage all who have a desire to quit drinking and have taken the action to embrace the program of AA to not wait in working steps. Do so immediately. Let no one tell you otherwise. Here's the most compelling reason; " We are unable, at certain times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defense against the first drink."
Old 06-12-2018, 08:36 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sweetichick View Post
I am doing everything I can to support sobriety. It's a tough road. My sponsor dumped me for reasons she hasn't disclosed.
SC,

I'm so sorry you are having troubles. I have some suggestions.. one is to try to not think of sobriety as a "tough road". It's actually a lot easier than the "drinking road". It sounds to me like you've gone through a lot, with physical ailments, breakups, difficulty with relationships.. I suspect a lot of that stems from your drinking. Most of my physical and emotional ailments were a direct result of my drinking. I had the "solution" and "cure" in my hands all along.

Making quitting too complicated is a trick that the addiction plays. It's actually very simple: Don't buy it. Don't pour it. Don't put it up to your lips. You don't need a sponsor or an ex or anyone else to help necessarily. I didn't have a sponsor. I didn't do meetings. I never used AA.

Acknowledge the damage that alcohol is doing to your body and mind and life. And take it off the table as an option. Alcohol is not doing anything good for you. You are in a spiral. Try something different. Try treating yourself with kindness and not poisoning yourself and your relationships as a result.

Life can be so much better! And it's in your power!! Not your sponsor's, not anyone else's responsibility. You can do it.

I say this as someone who "tried" to quit numerous times and felt sorry for myself when I "couldn't" do it. Well, I could. I did. You can too!
Old 06-12-2018, 09:04 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by Fly N Buy View Post
The program of AA isn't meetings - it is in working the steps that people recover from alcoholism. Unfortunately, this is often misunderstood today. Bill W worked the steps while lying in his hospital bed - read his story.

Meetings are nice fellowship and a wonderful part of the AA experience, but this does not produce the psychic change required for alcoholics of "our type".

I encourage all who have a desire to quit drinking and have taken the action to embrace the program of AA to not wait in working steps. Do so immediately. Let no one tell you otherwise. Here's the most compelling reason; " We are unable, at certain times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defense against the first drink."
Old 06-12-2018, 09:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you doing today, Sweetichick? I hope you're feeling stronger and that you have good focus on where you want to be.

And, I agree with Tealily's comment about sobriety not being such a tough road. Honestly for me, the end of my drinking days was far worse. Focus on what you can accomplish each day and you will see progress.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:49 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for all your support. I am feeling a little better. I just need to learn patience with the process of healing.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:16 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Do you think you need that Doctor sweetichick?

D
Old 06-12-2018, 05:07 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I was able to go grocery shopping. Maybe it's all just bad anxiety. I am booked in for tomorrow morning. Thanks for caring Dee.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:10 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I feel more peaceful with the support I am getting on here.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:02 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

hey there

getting sober is hard work, however it is in doing the work that we find peace.

seeing a dr might be a good idea, ive been having heaps of contact with mine lately due to compromised liver function through my alcoholism

I also see a counsellor twice a week

attend aa also

I need a comprehensive support system to stay sober and remain accountable.

it takes a while to set up however it is worth it.

hope you are well

vandermast
Old 06-13-2018, 05:11 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi sweetchick.....how are you tonight love?

Sometimes it just isn't the right fit with a sponsor.....maybe you could go to a few meetings when you feel up to it and ask for a temporary sponsor....I know lots of people puts their hands up. Sounds like you need some nurturing and compassion.

Also, if you call AA head office, I bet they will find a nice woman to come and pick you up and take you to a meeting if you like....

And hi Vander.....I was thinking of you and here you are.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:35 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I tried again with my sponsor yesterday. Send her some Tex messages. Apologised if I had upset her in any way. She said she would ring me but hasn't. So that's it.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:49 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd give her more than a day Sweetichick. Everyone has their own issues, and busy lives.

Just as you want her to be understanding about your issues, I think maybe a little patience with her could be helpful?

D
Old 06-13-2018, 06:55 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Sweetichick: I have read articles indicating that nicotine is similar to alcohol in that it triggers neuron uptake receptors to increase serotonin and dopamine in the brain as alcohol does. Nicotine is an addictive substance. I can't understand why anyone would advise a recovering alcoholic not to give up smoking if she is capable of giving it up. Maybe it would be wise to ask your doctor about that and if you still have doubts, ask for a consult or second opinion.

W.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:08 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I have been advised to give up smoking. I have switched to vaporiser. I only get a quarter of the hit I get from a cigarette. I get conflicting advice. My doctor says one thing, ER hospital another and my psychiatrist different again. Maybe I have too many health issues for them to figure out what I need to do. I am concentrating on not drinking and trusting the rest will work out.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:01 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hey Sweetie. The WhyQuit website really helped me when I was stopping smoking (years ago now). Dunno if you already saw it. If not, it might be worth exploring... Joel's Quit Smoking Library: Daily Quitting Lesson Guide

I found the explanations about how you'll feel (physically and emotionally) and the explanation about why that's so really made me feel that what I was doing WAS possible, and that others understood. Hope and identification I suppose.

Did you go back to AA?

BB
Old 06-13-2018, 10:06 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hi Sweetichick,

So glad you checked in, and that you are focused on not drinking. I'm glad you were able to get out to the store today. Hopefully as you get more sobriety under your belt, and work on quitting smoking your health will improve.

I found I lost weight when I stopped drinking, I really tried to shift my mindset to healthy physical and emotional choices and it helped.

I don't know much about AA, but was wondering if they have online sponsors, maybe that would be a good additional support.

Sending lots of love your way.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:34 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi sweeti. Sounds like your support system is lacking right now. I'm sorry. Go to different meetings. go at different times in the day. I remember going at 6am, at noon, or 11, or 7pm, I used to go when I had the time. I was done with drinking already but it helped to be with others in a shared struggle. Go to meetings and draw comfort from the people there. Go to that quiet space inside you and focus on your sobriety. Just sobriety. Alcohol, food and cigarette sobriety. You're not too weak for that. You have it inside you.

You are taking a victim role with others in your life. so let them go. Let people do what they need to do. Work on you. Follow your diet: I'll bet wine isn't on it. Go for short walks instead of cigarette breaks. Write in a journal. Write here. Go to meetings and share. Build yourself up. This is the moment that makes or breaks you sweeti. It has all caught up with your health now. take a deep breath and let the sponsor and the ex and all the excuses go. Give in to health.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:44 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I have given AA the flick for now. I got no support there and tried my hardest with the program. Will pick it up later if I need it. I do better on my own.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:49 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
it must be an aussie big book because i did an extensive search of mine and dont find it anywhere.
whether the big book says it or not, dont you think its wise to stop smoking,too?

showing self love would be the best love there is,sweeti. doesnt matter how much we show love, it hasnt done anything to help so far- ya gotta love yourself first.
It was somewhere in one of the stories in that section. I have a fourth edition.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:19 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

I do better on my own.
Gotta be honest - I'm not sure thats been true sweetichick - but noone can make you do anything you don't want to do.

If not AA, what kind of things are you going to do to stay sober?

D