Notices

AA Philosophy...

Old 06-07-2018, 02:05 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey guys, let’s not dig up other’s threads of the past to one up each other to make a point. This isn’t a competition on which program works better for the individual. I love the debate though, keeps the mind working and thinking, just keep it classy

For example, I’ve been working on step 1 and 2 of the AA 12 step program over the last week. I thought I ‘got it’. But all I was doing was parroting what I saw and heard. So I went searching for answers as to why I am ‘powerless’ over alcohol. Why can’t I just have a few like everyone else? Why can’t I abstain more than xx hours/ days/ weeks/ years?

On recommendation I looked up Joe Elliot Step 1 on YouTube. It isn’t Religious, it’s presented with some humor, and most of all for me explains the disease/ allergy that is Alcoholism. Man, what a revelation.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:46 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Its rarely point scoring digging up old posts here Choppo - overwhelmingly, everyone's on the same side and we want the best for everyone.

Sometimes the best advice we can give ourselves, or the best perspective, comes from ....ourselves

D
Old 06-07-2018, 03:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Since we have been discussing AA and the OP post about its "philosophy," I will add that "trying to figure out the why" kept me drinking for a long (LONG) time. Oh, I'll figure out my (REAL,ha) problem and then I won't need to drink...etc.

AA addresses our underlying "faults" if you will (along with sex inventory, resentments, etc) in steps 4 and 5, but it tells us "do not ruminate on the past- we have not shut the door on it, yet we do not dwell there" (para 4th ed, somewhere). AA is a plan of action, and understanding- but not such that it keeps us spinning with whys and wherefores.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:11 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Its rarely point scoring digging up old posts here Choppo - overwhelmingly, everyone's on the same side and we want the best for everyone.

Sometimes the best advice we can give ourselves, or the best perspective, comes from ....ourselves

D
D, agreed

Man, I’ve gotta stop talking and start doing the walking. Thankyou 🙏
Old 06-07-2018, 04:12 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

No worries Choppo - all good

D
Old 06-07-2018, 10:57 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I could not stop drinking after 1, so no "philosophy" or words from others was going to stop me.
Now, if someone wanted a drink... BEFORE picking up the said drink, reach out!
Old 06-07-2018, 12:10 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TeeJayVerm View Post
I looked in the direction of AA... Game, Set, Match.
I've read this several times and while I had hoped it meant you were immediately taken with AA - I am guessing you dismissed it that quickly?
Old 06-07-2018, 12:22 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TeeJayVerm View Post
I guess I was referring to the concept that someone admits they are powerless over alcohol. So when there is a slip up, we just throw up our hands instead of regrouping. That was what I was referring to.
Where does it say that AA teaches us to "throw up our hands instead of regrouping" when we've had a slip? That wasn't my experience with AA. The powerlessness means we can't use willpower to control our drinking because of the physical allergy and the mental obsession, which are resolved by a spiritual awakening.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:51 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Choppo View Post
Hey guys, let’s not dig up other’s threads of the past to one up each other to make a point. This isn’t a competition on which program works better for the individual. I love the debate though, keeps the mind working and thinking, just keep it classy

For example, I’ve been working on step 1 and 2 of the AA 12 step program over the last week. I thought I ‘got it’. But all I was doing was parroting what I saw and heard. So I went searching for answers as to why I am ‘powerless’ over alcohol. Why can’t I just have a few like everyone else? Why can’t I abstain more than xx hours/ days/ weeks/ years?

On recommendation I looked up Joe Elliot Step 1 on YouTube. It isn’t Religious, it’s presented with some humor, and most of all for me explains the disease/ allergy that is Alcoholism. Man, what a revelation.
You're absolutely right. It's no competition. It's a community, and the high score is when we all reach the finish line sober. The only points or reward I want is for TJ to stay in this sobriety marathon with us. There are times for each of us when for that to happen we need forcing away from the false comfort zone our addictive voice promises us. I could have rephrased the wisdom he'd shared himself before, but I preferred to remind him what he learnt for himself last time, not because I was trying to point score, but because he paid for that lesson last time and I thought he might as well get the full value of it. Trouble with this illness is it makes us flippin forgetful. If I start forgetting I want my sobriety friends (here and in AA) to remind me how much better I knew I was with sobriety and recovery behind me.

Glad you're enjoying those recordings by the way. They've been invaluable to me over the last 4 years. Dunno if you've come across this site, but there are over five thousand speaker recordings on there, and you can easily search by whatever step you're on. (Apologies if you already found it).... http://www.recoveryaudio.org

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery.
BB
Old 06-12-2018, 08:43 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
I've read this several times and while I had hoped it meant you were immediately taken with AA - I am guessing you dismissed it that quickly?
I was told at an AA meeting that "I don't know your story, but the fact that your here means that you know you have a problem."

Therefore, I voluntarily attended some AA meetings so I know I am trying to solve for something and that I have an issue with managing alcohol.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:14 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pathwaytofree View Post
Where does it say that AA teaches us to "throw up our hands instead of regrouping" when we've had a slip? That wasn't my experience with AA. The powerlessness means we can't use willpower to control our drinking because of the physical allergy and the mental obsession, which are resolved by a spiritual awakening.
It doesn't. But the concept of us being powerless means we dismiss the potential for willpower.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:26 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
I could have rephrased the wisdom he'd shared himself before, but I preferred to remind him what he learnt for himself last time, not because I was trying to point score, but because he paid for that lesson last time and I thought he might as well get the full value of it.
Berrybean... I am sincerely and extremely happy that you re-quoted me from a past post. In no way did I interpret that as "scoring points". Perhaps something like that may be interpreted differently by other people, but I really like to be reminded... just like how I like to remind myself of my state of mind when I was in my 20s and drinking wasn't a dependency.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:41 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thanks TeeJay xx