View Single Post
Old 06-07-2018, 12:51 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Originally Posted by Choppo View Post
Hey guys, let’s not dig up other’s threads of the past to one up each other to make a point. This isn’t a competition on which program works better for the individual. I love the debate though, keeps the mind working and thinking, just keep it classy

For example, I’ve been working on step 1 and 2 of the AA 12 step program over the last week. I thought I ‘got it’. But all I was doing was parroting what I saw and heard. So I went searching for answers as to why I am ‘powerless’ over alcohol. Why can’t I just have a few like everyone else? Why can’t I abstain more than xx hours/ days/ weeks/ years?

On recommendation I looked up Joe Elliot Step 1 on YouTube. It isn’t Religious, it’s presented with some humor, and most of all for me explains the disease/ allergy that is Alcoholism. Man, what a revelation.
You're absolutely right. It's no competition. It's a community, and the high score is when we all reach the finish line sober. The only points or reward I want is for TJ to stay in this sobriety marathon with us. There are times for each of us when for that to happen we need forcing away from the false comfort zone our addictive voice promises us. I could have rephrased the wisdom he'd shared himself before, but I preferred to remind him what he learnt for himself last time, not because I was trying to point score, but because he paid for that lesson last time and I thought he might as well get the full value of it. Trouble with this illness is it makes us flippin forgetful. If I start forgetting I want my sobriety friends (here and in AA) to remind me how much better I knew I was with sobriety and recovery behind me.

Glad you're enjoying those recordings by the way. They've been invaluable to me over the last 4 years. Dunno if you've come across this site, but there are over five thousand speaker recordings on there, and you can easily search by whatever step you're on. (Apologies if you already found it).... http://www.recoveryaudio.org

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery.
BB